New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 BR
 Login/Join

<STARTING BIG BORE>
posted
Has anyone had any experience with this cartridge.
i was thinking of building one varmnit hunting. Also if you have any pet loads for it.

D. Powell

one of us
posted Hide Post
Starting Big Bore: I have two Varminters in caliber 22 Remington BR. In my extensive experience with them I would consider it to be one of the top three Varmint calibers ever invented. This cartridge is capable of exceptional accuracy and very efficiently achieves high velocities. The brass lasts forever and recoil is very modest in heavy Rifles like mine.
My two Varminters are both factory stock Remington 40XB's. One is a 40XB-BRKS and the other is the older wood stocked model. Like I said both are extremely accurate.
I have killed all manner of Varmints with my 22 BR's and find it lacking in nothing! Use quality bullets and lots of scope power as long shots are easily obtained with this highly accurate cartridge.
The only drawback I can imagine with this cartridge is the possibility of feeding problems from a magazine. If a Varminter is interested in a repeater for their uses. I have never had anything to do with a 22 BR repeater and do not know anything about its reliability in feeding from the magazine. I have always wanted a Ruger #1 in this caliber. A 26" barrel and just a slightly heavier barrel than the standard Ruger #1-B. I think that would be a sensational walking Varminter for the alpine country I seek out Marmots in! Aahhh someday!
Good luck if you try a 22 BR I am sure you will like it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of British
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
...In my extensive experience with them I would consider it to be one of the top three Varmint calibers ever invented.

VarmintGuy: May I ask what you consider to be the other two? Just interested. [Smile]

Posts: 325 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
British: Sure you may ask. And the answer is the 222 Remington and the 6mm Remington BR. These cartridges are inherently (universally) accurate, very efficient, easy on brass, very light recoil, easy to reload, lethal on all sizes of Varmints and very easy on barrels are just some of the reasons these cartridges rank at the top of my all time favorites.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never looked for another varmint round since getting a 6 BR. Several deer and antelope also think it is a hell of a round.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
<DLS>
posted
I was thinking of building a 6mm BR or PPC and stumbled onto an old Rem 700 BDL varminter in .222 Rem.. This is my most accurite rifle, and just alot of fun to shoot. I love those tiny groups.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about the Dasher?. Is it that much better than the standard BR's?????????

Posts: 160 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by More Powder / More Dead:
How about the Dasher?. Is it that much better than the standard BR's?????????

Not in my opinion. You can get more velocity, but it comes at the trouble and expense of non standard dies, and more messing with the brass. The 22 & 6br do pretty good on velocity as they are, and are easy to deal with.

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote