THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Best 243 brass - USA made - WW or FC?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 243 brass - USA made - WW or FC?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
I have had great luck with both, not so good w/RP for gilt edged accuracy.

Or do you guys think Nosler or Lapua is worth the dough?

Thanks.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I run Win & Fed for gas gun brass.
Segregate RP by weight.
Nosler's not an option.

My first choice for .243,260.7mm-08 & 308 is Rem URBR small primer pocket brass.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan, had not checked but read a guy awhile back said he used Noz so maybe they made some in the past - don't know.

I would have felt WW and FC would do most all I need.

Have a great one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I shot a 243 I always thought that Federal brass to be better than Winchester bras and better than BOTH was European Sako brass.

In fact I've never really liked Winchester brass since I had serial case head separation with their 303 brass in my Lee Enfield (when everybody else's was fine).

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Interesting, wondering if the Enfield chamber had any issues? Never had any problems w/WW myself.

No doubt, I have had solid results w/Federal as well, though never rung it out Side by Side in a Custom barrel to see how it might differ from WW.

Thanks much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

Why in Gods name would you use US made brass when Lapua or Norma brass available. Its the same as using a sherman tank when an M1 is available. Just plain makes no sense at all.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why in Gods name would you use US made brass when Lapua or Norma brass available.

Well...(it translates to the US)...as my son used to see on the railway line into Flinders Street Station in Melbourne...big advertising sign:

"Give your kids the present of a job...buy Australian"

So maybe they, in the US, want to give their kids the present of a job, in the US, too?

But as for us where we've no longer ANY domestic cartridge makers then, yes, I'd maybe be tempted by Norma.

But of the US brass I prefer Federal (or Frontier) then Remington. I'd only ever buy Winchester as a last resort.

It seems too "brittle" as it were and maybe thinner?

I've never tried Nosler brass but have see Lapua cases - mainly 308 that I've never reloaded for. Here in UK there are some that favour them.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love Federal for the longevity, and consistancy. They are heavier than WW and do have slightly less capacity. Both have a distinct advantage over R-P for flashhole consistancy.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:

Nosler's not an option.

Any reason for this statement? I am wanting to switch to Nosler brass in anything I can get it for. Just got some for my .308 and it sure looks nice.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
anything made in the U.S.A

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I do see Nosler is available per Midway as Norma, it's mfg.

My Nosler 260 brass shot my last 4 into like .196 and that was OUT THE BOX vs. .5-.6 w/Rem brass. No doubt it's....better Smiler

How many of you run multiple stamps? I.E. Lower priced stuff for volume shooting and better/best grade for all out serious work?

Just curious - thanks guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using the Hornady .243. It seems to be good quality. I've reloaded some 2x now and haven't seen or had any issues.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady brass is made by whomever wins the contract (and can deliver on the specifications). Some Hornady I've used was clearly made by Winchester; I suspect that various calibers and lots (depending on the time frame in which it was produced) were made by ATK (Federal) or R-P.

I've seen some variation in brands of brass, but have never had a problem with any of the U.S.-made brands. That said, Lapua takes more care in their brass production and sells a ready-to-load case. With the American brands you'll need to do a bit more case preparation than with Lapua.

Norma seems to still like to make their brass a bit soft in the head. I've never understood that.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

On that variation comment - on same brass stamp....

Long ago I reformed some Hornday/Frontier 25-06 and 270 brass for a 6.5x55, one had SUBSTANTIALLY less capacity.

End result, I almost blew a striker from a M96 thru my head, but the biggest problem may well have been not neck turning/reaming and finding out after the fact my OD on loaded rounds was .310, vs. the .297 max Eeker

A new bolt and headspace fixed it, but I had a close call that day, blew a head and primer and almost welded the bolt shut. The bolt body threads were cracked the length of them!

Thanks guys, yes, no doubt, you have to be careful when mixing things up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not a comment only on 243 brass, but I've had great results in 300WM, 308 (great consistency) and 270 with WW. It's my brass of choice and seems popular with many competitive shooters as a second choice to Lapua.

On 243 brass... I know of a very high level shooter in the USA who recommends WW in the 243. He claims that the thicker Lapua brass is more inclined towrds doughnuts, for which the 243 is known, than WW. Maybe that and price would also tend to make one buy WW over Lapua.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
No doubt, price is a consideration and why when Midway just put their WW 243's on sale, they are out.......

As to doughnuts, if someone is using that brass for 260, I would suggest bumping WW 708 brass down to 6.5 and avoid the donut issue.

Thanks for chiming in.

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Whilst I use Norma brass when I can get it (friend who shoots rarely & doesn't reload), I've had no issues whatsoever with new Winchester brass.
I treat it in exactly the same manner as fired brass except for the initial tumble.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been loading the .243 since back in the late 70's. I have used quite aq variety of brands through the years both newly purchased and range pick ups when I knew it was once fired new.

Overall I have had my best results using WW cases. They just seem to last longer for me than the rest. Remington seemed to brittle up pretty quick and split the necks, Federal seemed a bit soft and the necks got thick on me which caused some unsuspected pressure issues. I have found the Hornady is kept to individual lots is OK but dies vary as mentioned.

I have never considered using the higher priced cases simply due to the fact I usually loose them while hunting. As such, it don't bother me nearly as much to loose a .35 cent case as it does to loose a $1.00 case.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I would like to shoot Lapua or Norma brass all the time, but the truth is, I can't afford to. Like many others, though, I've had good luck with Winchester.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red C.:
I would like to shoot Lapua or Norma brass all the time, but the truth is, I can't afford to. Like many others, though, I've had good luck with Winchester.

Same here. tu2

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer WW to Norma. Not speaking about the 243, but in other chamberings the primer pockets got loose really quickly with Norma; without pushing the envelope too much.

I'm not alone and have encountered posts in severa lforums saying that Norma is "soft in the head", a bit like some of us I suppose Big Grin

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote