THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    are you easily confused with caliber designations?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

are you easily confused with caliber designations?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffe, probably best to let it go. He doesn't get it and probably never will. As you have proven, he stands alone. I'm just glad all people from California aren't this thick.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Larrys
You are probably right.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I don't know what it relates to, but I have enough reloading manuals in the crapper, and have spent enough time in there over the years to be able to keep caliber designations sorted out.

The said, sometimes folks don't provide enough information when asking a question, and thus it never hearts to get some clarification before answering them.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Paul
you are correct .. if the gent had asked "what load for my 300?" i am certain he would have gotten "which one" ... but as far as I can tell, there was one person that could confuse a 6mmTCU with a 243 (winchester), and complained that he couldn't get all that powder in his cases.

I understand his POINT . (could we use better dsignations).. his method, however, was to attack rather than educate. He CHOOSE to designate all the posters in that thread, till his "point" as unsafe. Having worked in chemical/plastic plants for 1/2 my life, being UNSAFE is equal to being dangerous and careless of life.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like he needs to hit the books some more.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
@Larrys: You are ALMOST correct. There is only one 6,5x55 and it has no other official name than the metric number given to it in 1893 when norwegian and swedish engineers designed it.

However, the whole confusion with "swede" "krag" and "mauser" started when the united kingdoms of norway and sweden (1814-1905)could not agree on a standard rifle for both the armies. Norwegians wanted the Krag-Jørgensen and the swedes wanted the mauser. Also, there were different school of thoughts in the two countries when it came to using blue-prints. Norwegians aimed for the max and the swedes for the minimum in the blue-print scale.

During the conflict between the two countries leading up to the end of the union in 1905 the newspapers spread the rumor that the norwegians had made their ammo unsuitable for use in swedish mausers in case of war. A union comission was quickly summoned and after investigation found out there were a small difference between norwegian and swedish ammo, but both were within the blue-print.

To add to the confusion, decades after 1905 the norwegians found out that the krag were weaker than the mauser and reduced the pressurestandard for ammo to be used in the krag (this was not making a new cartrigde, just putting in less powder for a spesific rifle, they did same for 8x57IS ammo to be used in the krag). After ww2 the swedish government sold shiploads of swedish mausers to the US, where local ammo makers promtly made underpowered ammo almost as weak as the reduced krag for the presumably weak swedish mausers. The american hunters/shooters got to know this combo and ammo makers marketed their ammo as "swedish mauser".

The only "other" 6,5x55 that could be said to be a different cartridge - not made to the original blue-print - is the US made ammo with a smaller cartridge-head (473)= 6,5x55 US?

Posts: 91 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With Quote