THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    300 Remington Ultra Magnum V/S 30-06

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Remington Ultra Magnum V/S 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If i shoot a moose at maybe 60 yards, whit a 300 RUM 130 grains barnes x at 4000 f/s would the wound be bigger than if i had shoot the same bullet whit a 30-06 because the higer speed.

What does the speed do.....?

Some buddy who knows.....?

Posts: 751 | Location: sweden | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a lot of experience with the barnes x but I do use a 300 ultra mag.The wound channels the ultra mag leaves are larger than those left by the 30-06 with the bullets I have used.The moose and elk I have killed with this caliber do seem to drop quicker than with other calibers I have used.I find the same effect when using the 7mm stw on deer .It seems the faster the bullet is travelling the more internal damage is done the quicker the kill.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At least on smaller critters. deer, etc. Once you get into large animals that you need to break down, the speed isn't as important as penetration and the bullets ability to stay together. just my two cents worth. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<csj>
posted
From my experience I have found the only thing that high speed rounds have to offer is down range energy. At 60 yards most of the energy will be wasted after the bullet exits the animal. If you are not using premium bullets the effect can very. As an example if you shoot a small deer with a 338-378 200gr. Ballistic Tips the effects are incredible as the bullet flies apart creating multiple wound channels completely destroying the insides. The problem is if you use this same bullet on a larger animal there is a chance the bullet will never reach the vitals.

I am not bashing the high speed rounds I actually love to hunt with them I just do not buy into the faster the bullet is going the more affective it is. With this being said my favorite hunting rifle is a 338 Excalibur, which pushes a 200gr bullet at 3600fps. I love this rifle but I do not think it kills any better at 100 yards than any other 338 round. Just my 2 cents.

Chris