THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Ruger Varmint / Target Heavy barrel rifles

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Varmint / Target Heavy barrel rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted
I have a buddy who is looking to buy one of these in a 22-250, and is looking for experiences or opinions about this rifle when compared to the competition. What he would like is a long range tack driver.
Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
gunsmileYesterday my cousin shoot a number of 5 to 10 1/2" to 3/4" groups with his off the shelf Ruger 22-250 varmint rifle. He experiments with many different bullets and does well with a bunch. He seems to be stuck on wcc846.He also inherited my .257 Ruger varmint tange safe circa 1972 which is the best performer of all. But again that noisy 846.

I turn in similar results with my off the shelf Ruger varminter in .243.

My other cous does it with the same combination in .223. thumb thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think i's got 4 of them now, but none in 22/250. best luck with accuracy was the 1st year production that had a blued steel action. That one is 220 swift and groups less than an inch at 300. Have a 22 PPC and 243 that I ended up bedding the actions w/accraglass to bring into line, but have been great since. All have had trigger jobs done on them, but now I see ruger is bringing out a decent trigger, don't know haven't tried that yet.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2000 Model year VT Ruger in 22/250. Not with all handloads, does it turn in dime sized groups.

However, with quite a few of my handloads it does turn in very tight groups. I would not trade it off for another brand 22/250.

Of course I would not turn a Winchester Model 70 or Rem 700 or Savage 12 VSS out on a cold winter's night. You can't go wrong with any of them in my book.

Cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one of these in 223. It shot very well, though it liked the bullets seated long. I eventually traded it on a Rem LTR, as it was a bit on the heavy side for carting up and down hills.

Posts: 106 | Location: Oz..... | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
"[QUOTE]Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
I have a 2000 Model year VT Ruger in 22/250. Not with all handloads, does it turn in dime sized groups."

EekerJohn, you just got to stop using those bent reject bullets. Blue Dot can't correct everything.

Keep your barrel cool eek2roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

With that cartridge, I do not use Blue Dot. Rl 7 and IMR 3031 in the Ruger and IMR 4198 in the Winchester Model 70.

I use the 22/250s for those way out there varmints and shoot those 250 yds and less critters with the 223s and blue dot. I usually go thru about 300 rounds of 223 ammo for every 50 rounds of 22/250 loads.

Besides, some guys are telling you that Blue Dot will blow up your gun and put your eye out. Just like that Daisy Red Rider BB gun will in that movie " A Christmas Story". I am switching to Purple Dot just to be on the safe side.

cheers
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have one of these in 22/250, perfect for my shooting needs, which is mostly spotlighting foxes,rabbits ect. If i can't get .5 inch grps, then it is me. I feed it ADI 2208, same as varget and at the moment 50gr vmax. I use this at least once a week and have had it for about 4 years. What more could you ask for, well suited to australian conditions.

cheers cc

Posts: 191 | Location: Australia | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
" Just like that Daisy Red Rider BB gun will in that movie " A Christmas Story".
Just to let you know, that movie was filmed in the neighborhood where I grew up in Cleveland Ohio. the school in the movie is where I attended Kinder garten. No joke. Coming home from that school is where I had my first fight : just like in the movie. Never had duck for Christmas though.Great movie, Propjob.

cheers
seafire

one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
Advantages:

trigger, nice and smooth at 2.5p on my rifle

saftey, as good as a saftey can get on a loaded rifle

laminated wood stock, heavy and well shaped for riding sand bags, good resistance to the elements and warpage

stainless steel, good corrosion resistance

integral scope mount bases, very difficult to shoot loose.........Big Grin

scope rings, come with the rifle, a plus in my book

stiff investment cast repeater action, the manufacturer can put the steel where it will do the most good

barrel free-floated

Disadvantages:

there are other rifles on the market with lighter trigger pulls, useful on a varmint or target rifle

heavy for a carry rifle, I attached 2 slings and carry it backpack style

pistol grip is a good tight curl, but I like the one on the Savage laminated varmint stock better, straighter and pointed down a bit more

I can't get good cheek weld and look through the scope at the same time, to solve this problem I'm looking for a vertically adjustable cheekpiece to add to this stock, should help with field shooting positions, probably not neccessary for firing from a bench

action has a hole in the bottom for magazine feed, most any single shot bolt action (without a magazine port) would be much stiffer

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Roger:

Funny how cool it is to see places we once lived or know in Movies, or on film of some sort.

What a cool movie to have filmed tho, where you grew up. It must have brought up a lot of memories.

I have traveled a lot and lived in a lot of places, being a military dependent growing up. Seeing old stomping grounds in the movies is always fun.

First thing that pops into my mind, is the old movie the Exorcist. When I was a kid, my folks knew the people that owned that house and we use to go there sometimes during the christmas season. That was in the late 1950s. But A "christmas story' is a lot better movie to have memories of than the Exorcist.

Hope you are trying to stay dry down your way with all that "Oregon" weather you have been getting.

Cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 70 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I bought a VT in .308 back in 1996 or 1997. It should fairly decent 3/4-1.25 groups consistenly.

But the brass after firing WOULDN'T fit in any of my RCBS or Redding dies(no, they weren't small base dies). I stuck two cases, thinking I was an idiot(still not proven)...then took them to a friend just for verification.

Ruger's customer service line told me they don't recommend reloading, and it sounded like it shot pretty well to them.

Unreal.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rare bear, "integral scope mount bases.....hard to shoot loose!!" Yea that's all fine and good if the 7.00/hour high school drop out running the CNC machine has a clue and the bases are cut right!!!! I guess if a Ruger rifle was all that was available(GOD forbid!!!) I'd have a couple!!!! But since REMINGTON, SAVAGE, HOWA, SAKO, WEATHERBY, even WINCHESTER are still in business...I won't have to own a Ruger!!!! And that's not even considering building another one off of the NESIKA BAY, BAT, and even old Kenny might let me get one of his actions!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big GrinGHD Beefor y'all J.I.M.S. this post was for fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote