New
Find
Notify
Tools

5.7 Spitfire/Johnson/MMJ
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for anyone that has experience with this cartridge in an M1 carbine. It is the .30 carbine necked down to .224. It looks interesting enough, I just would like to hear from some of you that either have one, had one, shot one, knew a guy that shot one, saw one shot, or heard about somebody shooting one. I am contemplating building one, but won't waste the time or energy if the collective experience is negative.

Fast Ed

Measure your manhood not by success, but by significance.

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
many moons ago I had one of these. It was kinda fun to play with, but very tricky loading. a couple tenths of a grain of 2400 would make the difference between a decent load and blowing the primer. Its to long ago to really remember, but I think the load I used was something like 8.8 grains of 2400 and a 40 gr hornet bullet. accuracy wasn't much beyond 4" or so at 100, but it was a blast to shoot rats in the dump with

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got one that I use for shooting prairie dogs. Really like the cartridge. Very mild report (not much more than a .22 rf), accurate and inexpensive to shoot. I have fond that I can shoot 500+ rounds a day through it at prairei dogs with very little fatigue. My gun is an older Rem 700 ADL action with a Shilen barrel. I don't have my load data here but will try to post it this evening when I'm home. If I recall correctly I'm pushing 3000 fps with a Remington 45 grain hollow(soft?)point. I've had no probelms with pressure signs. I can't recall what powder I'm using but it is one of the loads listed in Cartridges of the World. I have run in to some issues with necks splitting either on initial sizing or 1st reloading. However, .30 carbine brass is cheap and I was able to size down to .224 in one step with only about a 2% loss rate. Loss rate from split necks from firing and / or sizing to reload has run about another 5%. I could probably solve the problem by annealing, but haven't decided if it's worth my time given the low cost of virgin brass.