New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon Monarch
 Login/Join

<George Capriola>
posted
Just wondering what experiences you've had with Nikon Monarch scopes. After considering another Weaver V-24, I decided to put a 6.5-20 Nikon on my .17 Remington, for something different.
Yesterday, for no apparent reason, the Nikon seems to have had a zero shift. I printed 4 rounds in a nice little group, and the 5th was a "flyer" about 1" right. The next 3 shots were all in the same spot, 1" right! Then, the next 2 shots shifted back left 1".
I'm using wind flags, shooting 100 yards in light/variable breeze, with a load clocking about 4,000 fps, so I don't think it's wind drift.
Regards, George.

<jrpilot>
posted
I have two nikon scopes and have been more than happy with them. They have never shifted thier zero, and thier clicks are very repeatable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
George is it possible the bedding system is allowing the barreled action to move around?

Possible pressure point in the barrel channel, as it heats the impact shifts?

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George Capriola:
Just wondering what experiences you've had with Nikon Monarch scopes. After considering another Weaver V-24, I decided to put a 6.5-20 Nikon on my .17 Remington, for something different.
Yesterday, for no apparent reason, the Nikon seems to have had a zero shift. I printed 4 rounds in a nice little group, and the 5th was a "flyer" about 1" right. The next 3 shots were all in the same spot, 1" right! Then, the next 2 shots shifted back left 1".
I'm using wind flags, shooting 100 yards in light/variable breeze, with a load clocking about 4,000 fps, so I don't think it's wind drift.
Regards, George.

I would have to answer this with a question. Are you tipping the rifle a little? Do you have a flat rest and flat fore stock? This would help keep the rifle from stringing. It is not a scope error, but an operator error. I hope I am explaining this correctly....

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Nikon's, two Monarchs and an older 3-9x40. Never had any problems with them. What I like is, comparable price to the Vari-X II, but with positive clicks.

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
All in all, I have to think it's just my lousy shooting technique.
I switched the Nikon to my Hornet (it was hard to see those little .17 holes anyway). After zeroing the scope, I shot a 1/2" group without trying hard.
The Weaver V-24 I took off the Hornet and put on the .17 did just fine also.
I tried just aiming the rifle in the bags and shooting with a minimum of contact, letting the rifles free recoil, pretty much. Someday, I'll might learn to shoot, provided I live long enough... Thanks for the help.
George.

<Rafael>
posted
George Capriola;

After reading your post, I have begun wondering about my groups with my savage 10fp-308. I have a monarch 6.5-20, and it groups pretty good. I still get some really strange flyers/multiple flyers. You have me re-examining my mounts and rings. These really are VERY good scopes.

Will get back to you.....

$
RAF