New
Find
Notify
Tools

My .25-06 finally!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally my Smith called me yesterday and told me to come and pick up my new .25-06! The rifle will not be completely finished as it still has to go back for gunkote but I'll get to hunt pronghorn this year with it. I need to start load development right away as pronghorn season starts the 3rd of October so I'll have a little over a month to get this new rifle shooting.

I've only got three bottles of 4831 on the bench IMR, Hogdon, and Hogdon SC, of which I think I'll try the SC first. I'm running a 26" SS tube on this rifle so should I look into getting RL22/25, Retumbo and H1000 to take advantage of this long tube. I'm sure the 4831 will do the job, just wondering if a slower powder might not give me just a little more velocity.

Right now the bullets I'm considering are 100 gr NBT and 117 gr Sierra bullets as they are what I have right now on the bench that I think will be suitable for pronghorn. This is my first quarter bore rifle and it has taken a while to get built so I've been collecting components for a couple of years now. Probably have a couple hundred once fired cases as well.

I can't wait to see this rifle after such a long wait. I know it will not be the totally finished product as I couldn't afford to finish the stock right now. The rifle is a Zastava action with double set triggers, a 26" Lilja SS #5 contour, bedded in a Rollover Monte Carlo walnut stock styled after the old Parker Hale and Weatherby rifles. Until I can get the scope I want I’ll just be running a 2.5-8X36 Leupold on it for the optics this season.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Sounds nice. Good luck working up a load for her. How about some pics, even though the stock isn't done?

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For over 30 yrs I have loaded 52.3g H4831 w/ a 120g Nosler Partition. I'll bet it will shoot your Sierras just fine. My father used this charge w/ the 120g Hornady (that was designed just for the 25-06 according to their manual)on pronghorn. Shot well, BUT made HUGE holes in the little prairie goats!

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love the 117gr. SGK in my .257 Bob, however the velocity of the 25-06 might be pushing the design envelope of the SGK. You'll likely be near or above 3,000fps which is a bit fast for Cup&Core bullets. The 100gr. bullet is definitely pushing the design envelope at 3200fps +

Personally, I'd try a Partition or TSX at those velocities.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
53.1 grains of H4831sc and the 117 Sierras will probably do just fine! You can use the same load with the 120 Hornady HP as well. GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
Sounds nice. Good luck working up a load for her. How about some pics, even though the stock isn't done?

Just picked it up today and snapped a few pics. Looks like I need to do some more barrel inletting in the channel. But hey it was a factory second stock and is still a work in progress!

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Lookin' good.
I can't believe after all this time you finally have it in your hands.
When are we shooting it?
Load up some of the 117 Sierra's, they are working great in my .257 Bob and I can only imagine what an extra couple hundred fps will do.
Let me know when you want to bring it out to the farm and get it on paper.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Not bad! Not bad at all! clap

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
I have recently re-barreled my 25-06 I have found the Nosler manual loads to be great.

51gr of IMR4350 100gr BT seated 55thou off the lands gives around 3450 fps and a 5round ragged hole at 100m.

Deer Management Training, Mentoring & DSC 2 Witnessing

Please PM or deermanagementservices@gmail.com for details

Dama International: The Fallow Deer Project

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been doing a lot of load testing with me new Vanguard 25-06. Tested three powders, H-4831SC, RL-22 and 7828, all using Fed 210 primers. I'm only interested in heavy weight bullets in this rifle.
Best Loads were:
50.0 grains of both H-4831SC and RL-22 shooting Speer's 120 grain BT bullet. Both powders delivered close to 3 shot, 1/2" accuracy at 100 yards, using a 20x scope I use for load developing.
Don't recall the powder charge, but 7828 and the 117 Sierra bullet you are wanting to use shot BETTER than the two loads above. The 117 Sierra could be my first choice for my rifle, except I do really like that 120 grain Speer bullet..

One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
If that's a second quality hunk of wood, Firsts must be really good lookin'! Eeker

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Latham:
If that's a second quality hunk of wood, Firsts must be really good lookin'! Eeker

Mag well is cut too wide, I have gaps on both sides of the bottom metal. I imagine that is why the stock is a second.

one of us
posted Hide Post
51.0 grs of IMR-4831 and 117 SIERRA B.T. has been my load for years. i load it for a buddy.. for white tail..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where did you get that "factory second" ?

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like your off to a great start there. I'm with the others, from what is showing that stock is a keeper. That bottom area can be filled in with bedding compound and will probably never be noticed.

For loads with the velocities your looking at, I would suggest the 115gr Partition. I ran them almost exclusively in my 25 which got them out there at 3150 with a 24" barrel and RL-22. The groups will still average 3/4" from that rifle easily at 200yds. I never felt under gunned with that load, mainly due to knowing how well it shot.

Other good powders I found were H4831 for the 117gr loads, IMR-4831 and IMR-4350 for the 100gr pills.

Also as posted above, your going to see things with some of the standard bullet once you get them up over 3K in velocity that normally doesn't show. That's the main reason I stuck with the Partition. No matter what the distance out to 400+ yards I always got dependable performance and they didn't mess much up. Something to consider on the smaller game animals, especially if you want the cape.

I wish you all the best with your's, I have a 25-06 AI which still needs to be skim bedded in the stock. I just haven't had the time or funds to get it done. It will shoot so so simply screwed down in the stock, but I hate to crank up on development until it is complete. It has been similar to yours this going on three years getting it all done.

Of course the wife getting me a new bow for our anniversary didn't help out with the attention either.

Good luck on the hunt and with your new rifle.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moorepower:
Where did you get that "factory second" ?

Got it from Richard's Microfit, just plug it in a search engine and you will come up with it.

Here are some more pictures of the wood.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
That piece of wood reminds me of a Sako .243 I owned way back!, next order I make I'll specify that they send me one with a extra wide mag well!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richards has been getting better at delivery lately.I will take a second any time.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Chad.

I have a 25-06 in a Ruger 77 Mk II. It shoots like a dream. You planning on taking it Antelope hunting this fall?

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try around 50 grs of rl-19.
i shoot that load with 86 through 120 grainers.
all with good results.
it groups around 1-1/2" at 300 yds consistantly

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barstooler:
Nice Chad.

I have a 25-06 in a Ruger 77 Mk II. It shoots like a dream. You planning on taking it Antelope hunting this fall?

Barstooler

Sure do! I've got a regular season Buck tag starting Oct 3. Then I have a late season doe tag starting in Dec. So this rifle will be used on two hunts before she gets finished.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well this defiantly isn’t how I wanted my first custom build to go. I was taking apart my rifle tonight to relieve the barrel channel to so that I wouldn’t have the stock interfering with the barrel. Well I accidently dropped the stock from about 3’ to the floor and well the picture says it all!

Anyone got a spare commercial Mauser 98 stock laying around that they want to part with?

<slancey>
posted
Ouch! I almost cried when I saw that.
Maybe file a claim with your homeowner's policy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oohhh maaannn, I feel for ya. Maybe try giving Richards or even try Stocky's to see f they can get you something delivered quick.

It might not be an exact replacement but Stocky's has some good prices and some very decent looking stocks.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Not good. I would go with the original factory stock or order a syn. for this fall. You can order a new wood stock later and fit and finish it this winter.

The Berger 115gr VLD is an excellent bullet in the heavier bullets for long range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back to Powders
[quote]I've only got three bottles of 4831 on the bench IMR, Hogdon, and Hogdon SC, of which I think I'll try the SC first.[/quote

Don't forget H-4831 and H-4842SC are the same powder, but the SC meters a bit better.

However, be sure you don't mix up the load data if you use the IMR-4831. It is certainly hotter and if you load it the level that you'd use Hodgdons it can be dangerous. Some older reloading books don't show the difference, and there is?

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't forget H-4831 and H-4842SC are the same powder, but the SC meters a bit better.
Did that come out right? That should read; "H-4831 and H-4831SC are the same powder,"

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The whole reason I was going to use the SC powder first is that I figured it would be easier to get it in the case. I realize that they are the same powders and IMR is different. 4831 just seemed like the best bet of the powders I have on the bench, since finding powder here in COS is still hit or miss.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got it from Richard's Microfit

I got my stock from Richard's, too. My gunsmith told me to never bring him another. Said he'd chase me out the door, swinging it at me as I ran. He says the inletting is oversized, off-center and there's too much wood on them. He did return an excellent result, but said the work involved was excessive. It's been close to four years, but I think I paid around $1700 just for work on the stock. Next time, I'll buy a McMillan, as he suggested...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
51 grains of IMR 4831 gets me right at 3000 fps average with a 117 GK out of my 24 inch barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Special thanks go out to Snellstrom for helping me get this done before season!

Well I've finally got my rifle up and running today! Even got to shoot a few groups today and the one I've got showing will probably be the one I hunt pronghorn next weekend with. I like the new stock, and it shoud be a much stronger one. I need to clean it up but that will have to wait until after hunting season is over. Managed to trade up to a VXII 4-12X40 AO this week as well really like that scope on this rifle. Next time I post on it I hope to have at least one pronghorn in the pic as well!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sorry about the first one ..but i REALLY like the second stock better

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, I do too!

one of us
posted Hide Post
taylorce, Sorry for the inconvenience of you having to resock the rifle! Just caught up on this thread! You like the rifle, you like the groups it's giving, you'll LOVE the effectiveness of the Sierra 117's on game! BTDT for 30 plus years! Never fail, always the same performance, they don't need a fancy smancy plastic tip, they just do what they were intended to and that's kill game cleanly and efficiently!! ...........and at less cost than the "johnny come lately" bullets of today! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote