THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    223 FMJBT's on game performance

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 FMJBT's on game performance
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to hear about successes and failures of this type of bullet on game. I have used some of the XM193 on deer and small hogs with good success but the 55 gr. fmjbt in various ammo available is not exactly the same bullet. Some are steel jacketed and have no cannelure. For instance like the steel cased Monarch ammo.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
If you pith or spine your target, your'e in good shape, if not you may be in for a long tracking/chase.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had rather lousy results on coyotes with 55 gr FMJ Mil-Surp. A couple I hit in the shoulder went down pretty fast. I lost several after hitting them squarely through the lungs.

I used them on one muley buck I came upon that someone else had blown the lower jaw off of. It had it's head stuck in a cedar tree and I shot it 6 times through the heart/lung area. After waiting a few minutes it finally backed up and I put one behind the ear to finish it off.

I wouldn't intentionally use them on anything.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in NY, full metal jacketed bullets are illegal for hunting game animals.
Here we have to use an expanding point bullet!

About the only fair place to use FMJ's is on woodchucks and the like!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck White:
Here in NY, full metal jacketed bullets are illegal for hunting game animals.
Here we have to use an expanding point bullet!

A

This is the case in most states with Texax among the few permitting hunting with FMJs

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my father in law shot a turkey with some loads that i had loaded to military equivalent velocities with a hornady 55 grain fmj. it dropped the turkey, but made such a mess that he could salvage very little meat. the bullet fragmented in a big way.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
enough good examples have been used already...

I'll just support NOT using an FMJ on game.. even varmints.. I have them ricochet way too bad..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the old days Elmer Kieth became very negative on the .30-06. As I remember it the "rest of the story" as it were was the fact he was using military FMJ ammo and it was penciling right through taking all the energy it was carrying with it out to parts unknown and wounded animals were getting away. A .22 caliber with it's smaller frontal area would be so much the worse than the bigger .30 caliber. My choice would be an expanding spitzer bullet designed for hunting. My 2cents.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't use em, I seen a person use a M1 FMJ's on a deer. 4 or 5 shots and still standing. I think he would of been better off using a 22 and stingers.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was once an article in a gun magazine, or maybe Gun Digest, that recommended FMJ round nose for use in North America, since it worked so well in Africa on similar sized animals.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcp:
There was once an article in a gun magazine, or maybe Gun Digest, that recommended FMJ round nose for use in North America, since it worked so well in Africa on similar sized animals.

Large bore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure it is legal to use fmj's on deer in Texas but cna't find this years book. I have used the Federal XM193 55 gr. FMJ on some hogs and during a culling operation. This bullet at least at close range tends to tumble and break apart making it pretty effective. This bullet is very thin jacketed with the cannelure almost going thru to the core. The Monarch FMJ is a much tougher steel jacket without A cannelure which may tumble but I figure this bullet won't break up. I agree though CNS hits only.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
EekerTurn em around and shot them backwards****Or not holycowroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot the Speer .243 75 grain hollow points backwards for Turkey loads. Worked preety good. In the 6MM Rem I think my load was 14.0 grs. of IMR 4227.