New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 6mm rem for whitetails
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've killed a few deer with a 6mm. If I were shooting one again, I would NOT use ballistic tips. Had a less than favorable experience with them. I killed one buck with an 85gr X bullet. I would give them another try.
Killed a Roe Deer or two with the 105gr Speer. I would use them again as well. R22 was the powder that worked the best for me.

John

Posts: 101 | Location: The Big Country | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike Horst---My grandson got a nice 10 pointer today. was a 30-40 yard shot through the boiler room. This was with .243 and using a 100 grain Winchester bulk packed. Deer went maybe 30-40 yards. For months I have planned on us going to the range for him to try out a .308 I want to give him. The move up to a .308 has nothing to do with the .243 being too small. I have a .308 I think he will like. It's a 1957 Win 88 in very good condition. The 88 if you are not familar is a lever action,but the bolt twist locks like a bolt gun. Has detachable box magazine and I have spare mag and a leather pouch that fits on the sling. It has a Leupold compact 2x-7x and a Pachmayr decellerator recoil pad. He has enough size finally that I think he can handle the .308. His football season just ended and he is into basketball season now. Had out of town tournament Friday and has out of town game tomorrow so squeezing in a range trip has been difficult. Well we could have,but we also go riding atv's too. One of these days.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I echo what Lawdog told you, go with a premium bullet, a partition, a barnes TSX, or you may even want to consider Swift's 90 grain Scirocco.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I have been using the Rem 6mm as my primary whitetail deer rifle since 1967. Usually shooting 5 to 8 deer a yr. in Pennsylvania, & Virginia. After trying a lot of different bullets, I have setteled on the Barnes 85, & 95 gr. Like the others here I have exceptional results with the 85 XLC's, & TSX's. I am also a very big fan of all the X's, & yes you don't need a premium bullet for deer ( at least in Va.) but the Barnes are really accurate in my rifles.

I use H-4831 for the 95 gr., & R-19 for the 85 gr.

My son shoots only Rem. 100 gr. core-lock pointed soft pt., in his 6mm, & you couldn't convince him to use any other bullet for deer-very accurate in his rifle.

Posts: 182 | Location: Va. | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote