THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Which caliber for 1:9 twist .224 barrel?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which caliber for 1:9 twist .224 barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Saw a 1:9 twist barrel on Green Mountain's site and snatched it up thinking of shooting heavy .22 bullets (62 gr, 70 gr, etc) with high BC's. Looks like 1:8 or even 1:7 is req'd for 75 gr and up. Thinking either 22-250 or .223. Any recommendations or things I ought to consider?

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Saw a 1:9 twist barrel on Green Mountain's site and snatched it up thinking of shooting heavy .22 bullets (62 gr, 70 gr, etc) with high BC's. Looks like 1:8 or even 1:7 is req'd for 75 gr and up. Thinking either 22-250 or .223. Any recommendations or things I ought to consider?

I shot 69 grain SMKs in my 10" twist 22.250. Even the 223 will shoot them with with a 1:9" twist.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends what you want to do with them.

I own both the only difference is speed.

If you want more speed the 22.250

If you want more economy the 223

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the past several years, between grandsons, nephew, great nephews, many deer have been taken with 55 grain cup and core bullets in .224. Mostly .223 and .222. They have performed superbly. I don't know what the need for heavier bullets would be. MOST posts that advocate heavier bullets or premium bullets seem to be made by those with no actual field experience--keyboard experience only.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Over the past several years, between grandsons, nephew, great nephews, many deer have been taken with 55 grain cup and core bullets in .224. Mostly .223 and .222. They have performed superbly. I don't know what the need for heavier bullets would be. MOST posts that advocate heavier bullets or premium bullets seem to be made by those with no actual field experience--keyboard experience only.

I shoot the 69 SMKs for long range match shooting when the winds are calm.. They work out to 1,000 yards out of my 22.250AI

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stability depends on diameter, velocity and length...weight is NOT a factor per se but only a function of shape and length and stability has a range of values like 1/8 to 1/10 etc.

There are many free twist rate programs online you can download that will give you all that information, but the best way is to just try the LONGEST bullet you want to use(which also USUALLY is the heaviest) and shoot a few.

You can also get data overload and migraines by just surfing the web and reloading books...there is so much data on the .224 out there, every twist rate imaginable and every bullet weight/length from 30 to "godknowswhat" length/weight already been tried with everyone's thoughts on the subject.

I will say this...I have .224's with twist rates from 1/8 to 1/14, from 221 FB to 22-243 Midd and worked with a 'smith back in the early 60's that was playing with his own 90-120 gr custom bullets that were up to 1.250" long and twists in the 1/5 - 1/8 ranges. Lots of surprising information came out of those tests. There's something about a LONG, small diameter bullet that reminds me of a torpedo or a missile...I just love todays VLD bullets no matter the caliber.

A 1/9 twist should stabilize a bullet ~1.00"+ maybe another 0.050" and ~75 gr or slightly heavier...the ONLY way to know if YOUR rifle will stabilize and shoot them straight is to do it. Big Grin

Good Shooting tu2 beer Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shoot the 69 SMKs for long range match shooting when the winds are calm.. They work out to 1,000 yards out of my 22.250AI

Frank

That makes perfect sense now.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have a couple AR's with a 9 twist 18" barrel medium weight, they are shooting 50, 52, 55 grain bullets into sub 1" 5 shot groups and I just started shooting the Nosler 64 grain Bonded with them and they are also sub 1" for 5 shots.
I have not tried any high BC bullets in that twist.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The caliber is .224. Cartridge is the choice, yes?

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sharps,

Yes. Barrel is not chambered. .224 diameter, choosing caliber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, there would be a few more things to consider. What receivers do you have available? What reamers? Are you doing the work yourself or paying a gunsmith?

I have a rifle in WSM that doesn't see much use these days and access to a lathe. I think it would be fun to try a 223WSSM. So for the price of a reamer and a blank I'm ready to play.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When my 22-250 needs a new barrel I most likely well go with a 1 in 7 and shoot very heavy bullets in it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll chamber it myself and put on a Persian Mauser action or a Remington 700 short action likely.

P dog shooter, I'd have preferred 1:7 also, but saw the octagon barrel on Green Mountain's website and I'm a sucker for an octagon barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but saw the octagon barrel on Green Mountain's website and I'm a sucker for an octagon barrel.

As good as reason as any

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:

Anyone who has tried heavy bullets in a .224 caliber rifle never looks back (see Frank's post). Have you tried them? I have tried both; still shoot more 55 gr .223 Rem bullets than any other, but it is not the best in the wind. And frankly, I have zero desire to use it on deer, even if it was legal where I hunt.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote