Tools

223 FMJs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
Does anyone have any experience using the "military" type FMJs on game? Not just for head shots. What were the results? Does the bullet just pencil through or does it tumble and cause serious tissue damage?

Surely money is not so tight that you can't buy or reload a better bullet for game, by which I mean game animals, not varmints?

The Winchester 64 gr Powerpoint, which costs less than $20/box may not be the best bullet for "big game", by which I mean hogs or deer sized (surely not larger), but it is certainly an extremely good choice for deer and has accounted for many, many one shot kills on my ranch.

Gatogordo I think you missed a post of mine. I am not in the US. Money is not the issue, availability is! I have to make do with what is available to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the milsurp solids were designed to wound and proven to do that, so there ya go.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
223 FMJs are a gret bullet choice for less meat damage, though less doesn't even come close to none.

i actually like rabbit hunting with my 223, with either FMJs or matchkings ... as compared to HP or softpoints ... in the case of FMJs, i get pass through and supper, with frangible bullets, there's a bit of red mist

i'll leave myself out of the to and fro on the sidelines

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote