New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 LOAD
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any suggestions for a load/bullet to serve as a dual purpose whitetail round out to 150 yards, as well as agile enough to shoot coyotes at or beyond 300 yards. There is a buddy sitting next to me suggesting swift scirrocos for this purpose. I'm very picky with shot placement regardless of gauge/caliber , so thats not really the issue. I'm looking for something consistent. Is there a 6mm 80 grain nosler partition out there?
Trigger

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Triggerhap2,

Concentrate on the "Whitetail" load - if it will work for deer, it will work on songdogs. I read an article a while back concerning "coyote specific" loads, and it basically came down to what works on deer works on coyotes, as each takes about the same amount of "killin"....

I use the 95 gr Nosler ballistic tip with H4831 powder as my deer/coyote load. Very accurate in my pushfeed M70.

I originally used Sierra 100 gr SBT gamekings, but switched when Dad had a little problem with penetration. He was shooting at a wounded deer, and took a Texas heart shot at about 75 yds. The deer dropped, but required a coup-de-gras, as the bullet didn't get past the hip. Maybe that is an "unfair" test, but that's the facts.

When I did the newsprint penetration test, the SBT shucked its' core, but the NBT held together - perfect mushroom. Has been working well on deer and coyotes ever since.

Happy hunting,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,
I use the 55 grain Ballistic tip in the 243 now, and I get soft ball sized exit wounds on these eastern dogs, would'nt dream of trying that load on a deer.
I just don't want to sacrifice trajectory for a good deerload. It's tough enough hitting those dogs on the run, without remembering to "hold over". I guess i'm dreaming of a 70 grain Barnes X bullet that will fly fast and flat and hold together. The best of both worlds.
Like I said, my deer shots will only be out to 100 or so yards,can and will be made with surgical precision. (Gotta love them savage 110's) [Big Grin]
I'm just wondering if anyone has worked up a load for just this occasion?
Trigger

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Oilburner>
posted
Trigger~

I have had very good results on paper and whitetail using 85 gr Sierra HPBT's over 38.0 gr's of Varget in my Ruger #1A.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIGGERHAP2:
Hi Bill,
I use the 55 grain Ballistic tip in the 243 now, and I get soft ball sized exit wounds on these eastern dogs, would'nt dream of trying that load on a deer.

Exactly! I haven't tried the 55s yet, but the latest G&A featured 243 Win Varmint loads, and that 55 at 4000 does sound interesting! If I ever get the M70 back from Dad long enough to do some load work, I might give it a try....

Though that M70 has killed more deer than any gun in the family, I think that the 243 is close to minimum for deer ("close to" because I don't want to get into a "22 for deer?" argument), and it needs a bullet that will stay together and penetrate. Looks to me like the lightest available X-bullets or Nosler Partitions are 85 grain, Sciroccos are 90. I'm not aware of any lighter bullets that I could recommend.

I'd try those 85 gr X Boattails - 2" high at 100 should put you about the same at 200, and probably a half foot low at 300, arriving with plenty of thump for either!

Regards,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 100 gr hornady interlock at 3150 out of my 243. I have had great luck with it on large muledeer, and coyotes. I get full penetration on all deer. The only animal I have shot that I didn't get penetration on was a spike elk.
Why do you want a 80 grain?

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used both the 55gr and 75gr varmint bullets out of a 243 with grteat results for both projectiles. I would not even attempt these for anything larger than a Coyote. When I take the 243 out for Deer it is always loaded with 100gr Partitions.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
75GRHP- OVER YOUR RIFLES FAVORITE POWDER.NO EXIT HOLES.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Ron,
Why do I want an 80 grain bullet? As I expressed before, my main use for this rifle is for coyotes
at good distances. I want all the speed and trajectory I can get for that purpose. I don't specifically want an 80 grain bullet, i'm not sure what I want, thats why i'm here asking questions, getting opinions. Deer in a pinch at 100-150 yards is all I want to cover. I don't want to take quartering to and away from me shot at 250 plus yards through a hole in the brush at deer. Perfectly broadside in the lungs in an open field out of a stand is all i'm looking for.
I'll probably just end up going with the lightest
partition they make for the 243.
Trigger

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is an 85 gr Partition.

Have you tried shooting a "deer" bullet at 100 yds with the same sight setting that you use now with your varmint load? A heavier bullet may hit very close to right on at the distance you shoot deer at!

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Savage99,
I've shot a whitetail at 90 yards with a 100 grain softpoint, while being sighted in with the
55 grain ballistic tips. The 100 grainers shoot a hair lower and right compared to the 55's at 100 yards, but I knew that before I shot.
I don't want to worry about compensating any longer. I believe i'm going to look into the 85 grain nosler. The nosler is a very predictable bullet, and adequate for a broasdside shot at close range.
Thanks,
Trigger

<S.B. Hooper>
posted
I met an old coyote trapper in Montana once that swore by the standard Speer 80 grain bullets for deer and coyotes. He killed a very large mule deer with the help of a rangefinder and Shepard scope at a measured 529 yards. It completely penetrated the body straight through the heart. I would tend to lean toward the 85 grain Nosler partitions personally. The 87 grain Hornadys have worked for me also, but tore up the coyotes pretty badly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had great success with the Speer 100gr BT
on both whitetail and coyotes out to 350 yds for
many years.
43.5 gr IMR4831
CCI250 primer
Win. brass
Ave. vel: 3,050 fps
Sighted in 2.5" high at 100yds will hit mid-range
height at about 150yds approx. 3.0" high and drop
back to 0 at about 250yds and 3.0" low at 300yds
with plenty of energy to these ranges and beyond
for good penetration and expansion. In other words
I pretty much hold center mass out to 300 yards
and have taken plenty of deer and coyotes that
dropped to the shot. The 100 grain bullet seems
to buck the wind better than the lighter ones and
that is a major factor in bullet placement. I see
no need to spend more money for better constructed
bullets at any weight for deer and coyotes as the
job gets done better from practicing more at various ranges. I noticed a long time ago that
wild animals have a tendency to show up at ranges
unplanned for by the hunter and many times the
animal just won't stop where we want them to.
just my 2 cents worth. BLR7 [Cool]

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seira 85 gr HPBT 42gr 4350 Win brass and LR primer. Call their 1-800 number and ask them.

woods

Posts: 48 | Location: st. charles | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That 85 grain Partition will certainly do either, but it's going to be expensive if you shoot very much. The 95 grain ballistic tip is very slick will give you a trajectory little different from the 85 grain partition, perhaps even flatter out at long coyote yardage. It's cheaper (but not cheap), so you might want to try it.

I wouldn't loose any sleep if I were using an 85 grain Sierra (standard lead tip), an 87 Hornady, or an 80 Speer.

For that matter, I doubt that you'll miss any coyotes on account of trajectory with one of the 100 grain spitzers.

Other than staying away from the ligher frangible bullets like the varminting ballistic tips or the speer TNT, just shoot the bullet that shoots best in your gun.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 110 in .243Win. It's a very good rifle but that 1 in 10" twist just didn't do a good job with most 100gr. bullets. I switched to the Nosler 95gr. Bal.Tip. It stabilizes much better and is quite accurate. I remember being told that Sierra is great for punching holes in paper, but Speer makes a better hunting bullet. I don't know if that's true, but with all the pointed soft points available today it doesn't much matter. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shoot win 95 grain silver ballistic tip and a 55grain win ballistic tip (combined technology) at 100 yards they both hit the same spot on paper the 95 will take the head off a deer at 100 and the 55 will cut a ground hog in half. my 2 cents

Posts: 8 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that the Nosler 90gr ballistic tip seems to be able to go considerably faster than the 95gr. 3,250/3,300fps is achievable.
I have shot lots of our little roe deer with this and a couple of fallow which approximate white tail in size. Zero at 250yds and you have a 300 yard rifle with no holdover required. My 'handle' is 1894 after the 6.5x55, with this bullet I should call myself 1963 as the 6mm is such a stunning round with it (as would be a 243) that my 6.5 is getting a long rest.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Just finished a test for a local gunsmith with a full box of 100 grain Sciroccos in two .243s. The Sciroccos had to be seated OFF the lands for any accuracy at all, but not as far as with Barnes X bullets. Accuracy was only fair when compared with 95 gr [Frown] Nosler BTs shot at the same time. Rifles were cleaned between groups.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a little older post, but for velocity try the 55gr Nosler BT, or the 58 Gr or 63 Grain VMaxes, or the least expensive and great performer for 300yds is the Sierra 60 HP.

50 Grains of H380 will give you a velocity of a little over 4,000 fps.

I have a Remington 243 that shoots nothing but 2 to 3 inch groups at 50 and 100 yds. Tried the 60 Grain Sierra loads in it, and it shot one hole groups at 100 yrds. ( It knew it was heading for the scrap heap soon if something didn't change). Now all loads I shoot thru it I run just short of Redline, but they all give me one hole to 1/2 inch groups at the worst.

That is just that rifle, but the H380/60 grain Sierra load has worked in any 243 it has been shot in, mine or other people I have told about it.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Seafire, the 243 / 6mm is a wonderfully versatile caliber, eh? For varminting with past 243's I've always gone with 70 or 75 grainer's... accuracy has always been outstanding with H4350. Have you ever tried those weight's? I ask because the typical 1-10" twist of the 243 works better with heavier bullets and is, IM"H"O, the reason to use the various 6mm's over the 22's and thier (typically) 45-60 grain bullets. With my newest 243 I'm stuck on 90 to 100 grainer's... go figure!

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
brad,

I own a total of 6 , 6mms. One 6mm Rem, and the rest are 243s. Just sort of accumulated them because I liked THAT particular rifle each time.

I use the 75 grain HP Hornady quite a bit. The 60 grain Sierra is a new thing, but it worked so I ordered 4 boxes of them from Cabelas recently.

For Deer, my favorite two are actually the 95 grain Noslers, ( both the partition and BT) and then the 105 grain Speer.

I also don't shoot a lot of the 80 grain BTs because of price, but I do love the bullet. I order a lot of Winchester bulk 80 grainers and shoot them a lot at a rock the size of a 2 drawer file cabinet out on the rifle range at 725 yds. I love doing it when I see guys get out there with some rifles set up for long range, ( you know $900.00 scopes, custom something that cost $4.00 every time they pull the trigger, $3,000.00 gun.

Then when they see me shooting and hitting the rock, they come over and ask me what I am shooting. I love their response when they find out the rifle is an off the shelf Winchester 70 Sporter in 243, 80 grain bulk bullets at 3300fps ( H4895) and then they ask if my scope is a 24 or 36 power and what brand is it as it does not look familiar. Actually it is a $59.00 Cabelas 6x that I put a Stoney Point target turrent on for another $25.00. [Razz]

Originally bought the scope at Cabelas in Nebraska as a backup scope. Mounted it on the 243 to zero it. Once in a lifetime this happens, but put one shot at 100 yds to see if it was even on the paper. Dead center bullseye.
Put it right back in the case and went home, and that scope will spend the rest of its life at my house on top of that Winchester! [Big Grin] [Razz]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote