New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with a .270
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a friend that has a .270 that was made for him using a Mauser action with a Shilen barrel. He does not load his own ammo. When he fires one round and tries to rechamber the next, it hangs up and won't chamber. He has taken it to a couple of gunsmiths but none have been able to figure it out. My first thought was it might be to little headspace, but I know just enough to be dangerous. Any thoughts?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Headspace has NOTHING to do with feeding issues.

you have a feedrail issue.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
Headspace has NOTHING to do with feeding issues.

you have a feedrail issue.

AD

At the risk of sounding completely ignorant, would you explain further about the feedrail issue?

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Is he able to eject the fired case? If so, the next round is NOT feeding? It needs further explaination.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently he is able to fire the first round. He ejects the case, tries to chamber the next round, and it won't fully chamber.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
like stated, it can be the feed rails, the follower and the spring that pushes the follower up. the feed ramp into the chamber may need reshaped it also could be the bolt face or the extractor and probably a combination all above.
If he indeed has taken to a gunsmith and had it looked at and they could not recommmend a fix I would not take anything there again. keep looking and you will find someone who can make the adjustments. the buildeer should have corrected all the issues but you get a bargan every now and then

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me the follower spring is inverted. This will do it. Turn the spring upside down and try it again.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
by the way there is a real good post in the gunsmith section that addresses these problems with the mauser actions.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/843106779

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Are you saying the round chambers, but the bolt won't completely close?

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACRecurve:
Are you saying the round chambers, but the bolt won't completely close?

that's what he tells me. I have not shot the rifle personally.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
by the way there is a real good post in the gunsmith section that addresses these problems with the mauser actions.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/843106779

Thank you very much for your response. sounds like this could be a complicated fix. I'll pass the info on and thanks for the post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
try the magazine swap it is easy to get it backwards and it is cheap to do.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
which mauser action? i might suspect the loading ramp needs a bit of tuning with a long cartidge like the .270, the ramp might be a bit steep and the tip of the bullet is hitting the end of the barrel when the shoulder of the case starts up the ramp. the gunsmith should have known to look for this and the gun should be taken back to him to get it to feed correctly.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote