THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    25 Souper a.k.a the 25-308 published load data found!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25 Souper a.k.a the 25-308 published load data found!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Don't know if anyone here cares, but I stumbled across some actual published loading data for the 25-308 wildcat. I don't have a rifle chambered in 25-308 yet, but want one one day.

Use the link below and then select 25-308 from the dropdown list.

http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/rifle.asp

This is data published by ADI (Austrailian Defense Industries) who happen to manufacture all of the current Hodgdon extreme powders.

They list pressure data using AR2206, AR2208, and AR2209 powders. That may not sound like it helps us here in the U.S. much, but further research yields the following:

AR2206 = Ever so slightly faster than AR2206H which is bottled and sold by Hodgdon as H4895
AR2208 = Bottled and sold by Hodgdon as Varget
AR2209 = Bottled and sold by Hodgdon as H4350

So here we have usable (pressure tested) data for a very fine wildcat with commonly available powders.

I sure wish Remington would legitimize the 25-308 as the 25-08 just like they did for the 25-06 back in 1969. The cartridge would give us 257 Roberts +P or better performance in a true short action cartridge. It would trounce any 243 or 6mm out there as a true dual use cartridge too since it can handle heavier more effective bullets for deer sized game while keeping recoil down to 243 levels. In my mind this is the perfect rifle for equiping recoil sensitve (kids and ladies) deer hunters. Heck I'm 6'00" 210 lbs and I get tired of getting beat up by the larger 30 cals. etc. too.

Not only that, it is the "magical" .257 caliber!

God Bless,
Mark in GA

Posts: 552 | Location: Coastal Georgia | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since there is only .007 difference in diameter between that a 260 Rem, and the 6.5 mm has a lot better selection of bullets, why would Rem make a 25/08? I would like to see them come out with a 25 SAUM tho. That has intersting potential.

Even the 260s are declining in sales now. I am just glad I got on the 260 Bandwagon while it was running around. I have two Rugers and one Rem VLS in 260. Also bought a 260 VLS take off barrel for $75.00, for the day I wear the original one out.

Cheers and Happy New Year
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire: I did not know (or I forgot!) that you have a Remington 700 VLS Model in 260 Remington! I have one also!
Its not much fun though!
Ha-ha! LOL.
The first load I tried with this Rifle was so accurate I have not tried any others!
Mine is scoped with a Leupold 6.5x20 and I did a trigger job on it.
Back to the 25/08!
I have a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 action that is going to be a 25 caliber Varminter/Big Game Rifle some day soon!
I have considered all the moderate cased 25's for this application. At one time I was leaning 250 Ackley Improved then the 257 Roberts then the 25/08 then the 257 Roberts Ackley Improved then the 25/06!
I agree there are a lot of great bullets for the 260 but the mere fact that Nosler makes several different bullets in 25 caliber still has me leaning 25 caliber for my next "project Rifle"!
Mark thanks for the link to the 25/08 reloading info I will copy it for future reference.
According to my 2,004 Redding Catalog, they make dies in caliber "25 Souper (25/308 Win.)".
I came across a super buy on a three die Redding reloading die set in caliber 257 Roberts Ackley Improved a year ago and I have been "leaning" that way since. But I could be swayed in another direction (I am easy!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
VG:

I agree with your assessment that it would be good to have something to take advantage of the Nosler bullets in 25 caliber for varmints.

I have an Early Ruger VT, Black receiver, stainless factory sized varmint barrel. It is a candidate for a 25 caliber. I was looking at the plain old 250 Savage, but someone brought up the concept of the Rem Short Ultra Mag necked to 25 caliber.

While not a fan of the Short Ultra Mags, or the Long ones for that matter, a 25 SAUM does appeal to me. 25/284 data would be a starting reference point and that info is around. I am checking with RCBS on the availability of a die for the 25 SAUM, and if it doesn't pan out, I am going to look at the 25/284 case.

The only other wildcat I own is a 338/06. I know guys who shoot 6mm/284s but they don't get anything that a 6mm Rem with a 1 in 7 twist on a long action Model 700 gives me.

If this 25 caliber project gets moved to a Mauser action instead then the 257 Ackley Improved will be the candidate probably.

I don't own a 25 caliber anything, so I need at least one. I have also thought of the old 25 Kimiber on a walking varminter set up. Heavy barreled but a 20 inch length.

Decisions, decisions decisions....

Posts: 70 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redding already produces dies for the 25 SAUM as well as the 6.5 SAUM (one of which I am currently building - 6.5 SAUM that is) They are both in their "custom" category so they cost about $145 but they can be had.

Posts: 53 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: 19 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found some of their data interesting- It seems in my seach for powders for the 257DGR I have fired the same charges with the Hodgon version (H4350) Maybe the powders are similar, but the 3 24" barreld 257DGR rifles were faster than there same load in the test barrel. Much of the data on my web site for the 257DGR is an average of 3 rifles fired with the same brass- 2 on the same day. I also think that there needs to be a 25cal offering for a short action that is not based off thumb sized 1" long cases and something based off the 308 sized case is perfect. The 257DGR has performed better than I anticipated and so far everyone who has had one chamberd has been satisfied with their rifle.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote