Tools

Medium Range Target Caliber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by buckshot:The 6.5 has had my attention for years largely because of the 6.5 Swedish, but I'm not convinced that bouncing larger bullets off the ground is a good idea. I know you won't be varminting with 160s, but that thought is a hard one to shake. I believe this is a better calibre for big game than the 25-06 or 270, and thus is less flexible for varminting.

It's just an opinion and I'm probably wrong, but it's as valid as any other.

You need to get familiar with bullet choices in 6.5 mm, then.

The 6.5 mm Hornady 95 VMAX is an awesome varmint pill, and the Sierra 107 Match King and Lapua 108 Scenar can be pressed into service as well.

HP Shooter-
Since I don't use the entire 6.5 calibre bullet selection, I admit I'm not that familiar with them. In fact, if it weren't for the little Sweed, I'd never own a 6.5. Never was a 264 Winchester, or 6.5 Remington fan since I view these two as one bullet wonders at best. The former will not always stabilize heavy spitzers and is a throat eating varminter, the latter was, well ugly.

With that said, I won't argue the balistic virtues of the mild-mannered 6.5s as there're many. Having made its reputation with a heavy bullet, I am of the opinion that this is a most capable big game calibre, thus I don't see it as a varminter, altho upon second glance, it is perfectly suited for such tasks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, a new savage 223 came home with me today from the local gun show. Too good of a deal to pass up. My next project will be a 6mm Rem or maybe the 6.5/06.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justin B:
Well, a new savage 223 came home with me today from the local gun show. Too good of a deal to pass up. My next project will be a 6mm Rem or maybe the 6.5/06.

Hornady 75 AMAX, 24.7 gr (work up Big Grin) of Reloder 15, Lake City case, Federal 205M primer.

2750 fps in a 20" AR15, probably more in your rifle. Good enough to hold 1 MOA or better in elevation at 600 yards. Windage is up to you.

You should try NRA prone mid range matches with that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Justin -

not to worry all of the above does add up to a nice plan of action.

1. The 243 in a Savage comes with a 9.25 twist rate, and all the trigger you need, fully adjustable.

2. The Savage is as close to a switch bbl design as you can get with its lock ring design. Swapping bbls later is very quick and easy and you can do it yourself.

3. Any time you want just get an extra bbl in 260 with a 1 in 8 twist and give it a try. These can be had with no need to do finish chambering for headspacing as Savages headspace by screwing the bbl down on go no go guages or even a fired 260 case.

4. Both use the same case, as the 260 is simply a necked up 243. The stock magazine and bolt face are identical.

Have fun! I can't think of two cartridges that are better suited to the shooting you want to do.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much to add that hasn't been said. The 223 with a 1 in 8" twist and high BC bullets seems to be popular these days, and is often winning over the 308 in competition. Cheap brass, low recoil, small powder charges... sounds like a no brainer.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington VLS in 6mm Rem. might not be a bad choice. Mine weighs in at around 10lbs, so it eats up the recoil at the bench. It will group good handloads in the .3"s. The long neck makes it ideal for reloading. It's a bit heavy for lugging around woodchuck fields, but I got the idea you were looking for a bench gun. I also have a 6.5x55 which is quite accurate, about .5" which isn't bad considering you're shooting heavier bullets. It has a very mild recoil for the caliber. Like the 6mm Rem. it's a joy to shoot. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote