Find
Notify
Tools

221 Fireball
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
I am interested in this caliber now that Remington has re-introduced it. Would this be a good pick for coyote hunting inside 300 yards? I do handload.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think using the Fireball for 'yotes at three hundred yards would be pushing the envelope a bit. I am planning on purchasing a CZ American in .221 when they reach the dealers in November. I think it will be suitable for groundhogs and such out to about 225 to 250.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by todbartell:
I am interested in this caliber now that Remington has re-introduced it. Would this be a good pick for coyote hunting inside 300 yards? I do handload.

I also think that the 221 would be streching to do well at 300yds on yotes....the 223 has so much more going for it as to brass,powder choices and resale that the 221 seems to be best in the short barrel such as the XP100 platform of the pistols and stick with a larger cartridge for the rifle and yotes at 300yds......imo..good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todbartell: With todays wonderful selection of bullets and Hodgdons Lil'Gun powder you will EASILY kill Coyotes with the 221 Fireball at 300 yards! I have owned a Kimber Ultra Varmint Rifle in 221 Fireball since 1994. I use the excellent Berger 40 gr. bullet in this Rifle and it has accounted for several Coyotes and Fox as well as all manner of other Varmints. I do not recall specifically one way or the other if I have taken a Coyote at 300 yards with it but the ones I did kill were real dead real quick!
My other 221 Fireball I brought online last year. It is the Remington 700 Classic with 24" barrel. It uses the sensational Lil'Gun powder and Nosler 40 gr. Ballistic Tips. This bullet is also a sensational Varmint Killer! I have not Hunted Coyote with it as yet but have no doubt that it also would do very well on Coyotes out to 300 yards.
Be sure and try the wonderful Hodgdon Lil'Gun powder in your Fireball if you get one. It produces higher velocities with less pressure than any other powder out there! If you are interested in strictly Coyotes with the Fireball and ranges will more often be close to 300 as opposed to 100 yards then I would look into the 50 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip or 50 gr. Berger MEF bullets along with possibly the Lil'Gun powder.
Let me reiterate some of the attributes of the Fireball cartridge - it IS very accurate (in my experiences and observations of others the Fireball is more accurate than what can be expected from 223's and rivals the 222 Remington!), its easy on brass, barrels and the pocket book! The efficiency of this cartridge (speed vs. powder charge) is simply outstanding!
I think even the Remington people were surprised when they recently (2002?) offered the 221 Fireball in that years M-700 Classic offering.
I heard that many sport shops had long waiting lists for the Fireball Classic and the offering sold out. One sport shop I know of had 10 people on their wait list and would take no more names as they were told their allotment would only be 10. I read also on the internet somewhere a shop back east had 160 people on their list. I do know they did sell (and resell) quickly out west here. I have seen many of them re-sell at Gunshows for strong prices!
I guess Remingtons new offering with the 22" barrel will not affect velocities to the point of diminishing lethal range with it by much. I would have preferred the 24" barrel (free velocity) but the design and designated market for this new gun seems to be a "walking Varminter" or "calling Rifle" and 22"'s of barrel will certainly do nicely for those uses! There is also a pretty significant market out west here for people who want a quick handling "truck gun"! This new offering by Remington should fill a lot of needs and wants! In any case I bet you could resell one easily!
Even you Savage folks have to commend Remington on this nifty little piece of market chasing!
Way to go Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Ok, when I said 300 yards, I meant that 300 would be the absolute max, not the norm. Like most shots would be 150 yards and in, when calling coyotes. It seems that shooting a coyote at 100 yards with a Fireball is like shooting one at 200 yards with a .223, and 275 yards with a 22-250. I've heard of the 22-250 being a 400 yard coyote rifle, so that would be the same as shooting one at 225 yards with a Fireball. BTW, these comparisons are with the 50 gr. Ballistic Tip @ 3000 fps (221), 3400 fps (223), and 3700 fps (22-250). I friend flattened a coyote at 520 yards with his 22-250 (50 gr. V-Max), this would be like shooting one at 350 yards with a 221 FB. Just trying to compare the power it takes to kill a coyote cleanly.

I like the efficiency of the 221 FB, looks great.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure the Fireball gives up yardage to the 223 Rem, but what it can do is almost amazing. I was pleased with the accuracy and speed (3400fps) of 40gr Vmax's using AA1680, then LilGun decided to push the same bullet at 3550fps! Accuracy is still there, at a speed that shouldn't happen, but does. And the load data is off the Hodgdon site, though their reported speed is in the 3400 range. Like many other cartridge comparisons, the boiler room size dictates the appropriate bullet weights, so I stay away from the 50gr+ weights, using those in my 223 Rem.
Suitable yardage for a 221 depends on many variables, but given reasonable conditions, coyotes at 300 yards are in jeopardy!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ is going to chamber a .221 fireball????????

Tell me it's SO!!!!!!

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure are Frank, I've been thinking CZ triple duce, in fact today I had called my friendly firearms provider and the .221 was on the list available in the 527 American. I see a huge decision in my future, .221 or .222. Kinda a neat decision to have to make huh? Hard to go wrong.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington M-7 in .223 Rem with an 18 inch Barrel and also a T/C Encore in .221 Fire Ball with a 26 inch barrel! Both loaded with 55 gr Remington bullets!

I have dumped coyotes at 300 yards with each of these rifles!

For the record the Fire Ball out-does the .223 by about 50 fps. Of course, putting the same length barrel for .223 on the Encore will definitely increase the velocity!

In answer to the original question: Yes the 221 Fire Ball will take coyotes at 300 yards.

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought another SIG pistol, now I have to start saving AGAIN for my new CZ in .221 Fireball. Damn! But I wish I'd win that LOTTO thing.

The .221 should be a huge winner in that little rifle. Looking forward to that one. Pity the poor gophers though.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been killing hogs with a Fireball, wouldn't think killing a Coyote would be any problem. I've got a Remington 700 Classic shooting factory ammo.

Posts: 54 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I included the following in a post on my new 17 Mach IV, and thought Fireball folks might enjoy.
The 30gr Bergers may not be available anymore...I need to check Berger's site.

"Sidenote: tried some 30gr Bergers in my 221 Fireball, using 17.5gr LilGun. This powder has given me 3500+ fps with 40's.....and the avg on the 30's was 3975fps! One reading was over 4000, which is not a number associated with a 221 Fireball. The load was likely too hot, and I will back off a few tenths on the next try."

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just hung up with the CZ USA sales lady. There are now 100 CZ-527 Fireballs in the country and they are already distributed. I just talked to one of the retailers and he wants $525.00 for the one he has. Says it has spectacular wood.

As an aside, I shoot 40 gr. V-Maxes and AA-2200 out of my Fireball, a converted 722 Remington. Excellent varmint rifle!

Posts: 35 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 23 March 2002Reply With Quote