New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Owners, pipe up
 Login/Join

<bigcountry>
posted
Guys, I usually don't ask for help on picking guns but I need a change. I have been a loyal Remington customer for years but my last gun and customer service left a bad taste in my mouth. I want a tack driver. I hear but not seen Savage owners claim great accuracy. I am looking at the the long range series with a heavy barrel in a 7mm-08. I just need a new gun to work up a load for with low recoil. Can anyone of you guys say anything bad about the savage or there accuracy? It is hard for me to grasp the idea of a quality rifle for only 450 dollars or so. Any advise would be appreciated.

<Multi Vis>
posted
I got the model 12FV in 223 and its been a sub MOA shooter from day one. As far as gripes goes the trigger needs to be replaced and you will hear about rough barrels but I found that they are not any rougher than a Rem. Barrel. Same as you a bad experince with Remington got me to shooting Savages.
Gun+trigger+mounts&rings=$460.00 - the best deal going!!!!!!::::::Multi Vis

one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted this once before, but it bears repeating. In on instance, I had a problem with a Savage. As I live a couple of hours from their plant, I took the gun to them. I explained the problem, was given a pass to see their museum, and had the gun returned to me in 1 1/2 hours. Perfect condition, NO CHARGE. This is the best customer service oriented company there is. Whatever you get, you will be happy with it. Triggers really do suck, but are easily taken care of.

------------------
Jay
"For God and Country"

Posts: 282 | Location: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 26 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Multi Vis>
posted
Opps! How about rifle+trigger+mounts&rings=$560.00:::still the best deal going for a factory shooter:::Multi Vis

<Short 308>
posted
I have 3 Savage rifles and they all perform great! I has purchased a 12FV in a .308 and it would not feed from the magazine, so I called Savage and spoke with the CS manager he paid shipping to them and back plus he adjusted my trigger to 3lbs for free, now it works great. All of mine shoot great, in my opinion they are the best for the price. Go ahead and purchase one I do not think you will be dissapointed.

<Paul Dustin>
posted
I have 3 Savage rifle 1 old mod 340 and mod 99. 111 Caliber 222 Rem, 243 Win 270 Win they all shot great The triger needs works.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage M20, but don't own the newer bolt gun. It is designed to optimize shooting quality with minimum manufacturing cost. Some of the design choices are not good ones, the trigger is notoriously bad.

Some guys I correspond with have used the Savage Scout in rifle courses at Gunsite, and report that they broke the pin in the bolt that holds the bolt head on. Savage replaced the pin with what they termed the "magnum bolt pin". Of course they do a lot of shooting in a week at Gunsite, and a lot of rifle and scopes break there that otherwise would not do so for normal hunting use.

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<hunting1>
posted
I have a Savage 10Sierra there mountain version with 20"barrel in 7-08 and love it. With Varget powder and hand loads you can touch holes with little recoil. I would buy nothing but a Savage in bolt guns. I don't even mind the triggers although I will say that is the only thing Remington has over Savage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using savages for dogging they are very accurate. The feeding I found as not been really great I will use them for varmits. But I well not use them for big game. They are just not reliable enough for me. For big game give me a control feed any day.

Posts: 19377 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
When you say Feeding, do you mean cycleing another shell? Do they jam or something. I am referring to the bolts. The rest of you guys have me calling for prices.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes shells pop out of the mag. being struck down in the mag Iam talking bolt guns to. I have 3 110s and my friends have many more we all have trouble with them feeding properly.

<Slamfire>
posted
I bought one in 1960. A left handed short action in .243. The danged barrel wore out in only 35 years of varmint and deer huntin'. I had it rebored to 6.5-08 and now I'm 5 years into the wear out period. If I have to I'll have it rebored to 7mm-08, then .308, then .338-08, then .358. At 35 years each, I've still got a ways to go. I'll let you know if I run into any other problems on the way. ;^)

<Lefty223>
posted
I've been a huge fan of Savage rifles ever since I bought my 1st truly left-handed 30-06 on their 110 action many, many years ago. I love that 3-position safety too. As a home-hobby-gunsmith/tinkerer, I find their triggers easy to safely adjust, but now throw in the Sharp Shooter Supply trigger designed and sold by Fred Moreo of the SSS company. I also glass-bed my Savage rifles too.

Bores rough?? Not in my 2-year old 7mm-08 Rem or in my new 223 single-shot model. BTW -- I carefully break these in on the "Shoot 1 & clean", repeat 3-5 times, then "Shoot 2 & clean", etc., on the 223 I also put (20) cheap factory rounds down the tube w/ J&B bore compound wipe on the bullets [[wipe J&B off cases, let it dry overnight, & clean between shots. Toss the brass, this is a neat trick JarHead offered ... it's like fire-lapping with 1000 grit or higher compound.

Here's the best 7-08 results with Hornady's Lite Magnum ammo (140gr soft-point @ 3000 FPS):

Here's typical groups from the 223 single-shot, 3-shots on left, 5-shots on right ... the darn thing thinks its a benchrest rifle !!

Tight groups !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lefty . Triggers easy to ajust not on the ones I have. I just throw the rotten factorys away and but in timmy's. I well agree with you they shoot nice groups.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with savages but up here in Can with new import fees from U.S. screwed up the new Tikka's are as cheap or cheaper than SAV, Win or Rem's. My friend bought a Tikka 30-06 SS, Syn stock that shoots 1/2 -- 3/4' groups regularly. NICE Hunting gun

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was a skeptic until my friend bought a 10fp and we took it out. I grabbed a variety of handloads, some for my Cooper VE in .223 and some for my Olympic Arms AR. Darn if the thing put any load we fed it into an inch or less for five shots at a hundred yards. No break in, no trigger work, nuttin'! My Cooper sure looks better, but at 3 times the money...

My sons a Lefty, and he's not too pleased about how they look next to the Rugers and Remintons, but he'll understand someday why I'm getting him a Savage!

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
<broj>
posted
Good news,
In 1000yd competition at Byers, CO.
The Savage tacticals and the Heavy barrel Varmit in Stainless took the Sporter class every year till we went NBRSA and they got out classed by the custom guns. All were in 300WM. The appearance of the barrels was ugly compared to a match barrel but they shot with distinction.
Pay attention to the basics of accurate reloading and bench techniques and they will amaze you.

<bigcountry>
posted
Finally got to check some Savages out today. I liked the Tatical models but there bedding didn't look that impressive or consistent. The barrel on one was about 3mm from the stock and on another I couldn't get a dollar bill through. I really want a tack driver in a bull barrel gun. Rem. is so hit and miss. I guess I could get a Savage and put a H-S stock on. Thanks for all who replied. Good info.

<bigcountry>
posted
Thanks guys who all replied. I finally got to check a few out today. I was mostly interested in the tactical models. The bedding seemed a little cheesy however. One had the barrel about 3mm from the stock and the other I couldn't get a dollar bill through. I guess I could replace the stock with a H-S. Thanks again.

<Lefty223>
posted
Why not buy this stock??

This is from Fred Moreo of Sharp Shooter Supply who makes aftermarket triggers, stocks, and barrels for Savages. Here's his site: http://www.varminthunters.com/sshooter.html

Good luck and tight groups !!

<rifleman>
posted
For those who are or who have had problems cycling the next round in the chamber. If I understand what you are saying, I may have an idea for you to try. I just got a Savage 111 .270 and when at the range while working on handloads I had a couple of times where the next cartridge did not cycle into the chamber. I figured out that I was occasionally stopping the rearward movement of the bolt as soon as the spent cartridge ejected. If I didn't cycle the bolt all the way back before starting forward again the next cartridge didn't pop up enough for the bolt to push it into the chamber. As soon as I figured that out and made sure the bolt was cycled all the way back, I haven't had a single problem.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.gunblast.com/Savage_12FLVSS.htm

Check out this website. It is a review of a Savage varmiter in 22-250, worst groups were 3/4 of an inch.

http://www.gunblast.com/one_bad_savage.htm
This article is about a Savage tactical rifle in .308
Clement

Posts: 163 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With Quote
<ultramag>
posted
My wife shoots a Savage Mod. 110 in .243 routinely into sub MOA groups.