New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ruger Mini-14/30
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got a new 2005 Ruger catalog, and noticed that the new Mini series has a new set of sights. A protected front sight and a new adjustable rear sight. Think they might shoot better?
Also the Redhawk Alaskan, a 454 casull with a 2.5 inch barrel - mama!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikethebear:
Think they might shoot better?
If they continue to install the same crappy barrel, NO!!! It really wouldn't cost Ruger that much more to install a good quality barrel on the Mini 14/Mini 30.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's the barrel, indeed, that give these a reputation for poor accuracy.

That revolver looks like a sumbitch to shoot.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes the minis can be tough to make accurate .I have searched nearly all factory ammo and finally found a few decent ones(10-1.5 gruop size 100 yards) I have seen .5 groups at 50 yards with handloads. It can be done but it takes a lot of work to find the right loads for these. Once an accurate load is found then the feeding game begins Big Grin I think FMJs feed best,I once sheared the plastic tip down to the copper on a ballistic tip . Standard soft points are often cut up by the violent action. I guess the lack of a feed ramp may cause this. All in all Ruger 14/30 s are fun, and cheap to own and shoot. Of course AR-15 s are way more accurate but nearly twice the price. Also the 7.62x39 is very effective on Medium size game out to about 200yds, sort of a semi auto 30/30. Smiler

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote