Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt storage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Goodmorning fellows

I find that when I remove the bolts from all if my rifles in the safe I get fewer safe kisses on the shocks and i can get quite a few more rifles in the save.
I thought I would put each bolt in a cotton wrap then inside a baggie leaving the ziplock part open.
Anything flawed in this plan of mine?
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fasteel, And if you alternate the rifles from right side up to upside down, the space in the safe is even more spacious! Removing the bolts has been a standard practice for a long time but the new safe is at the dealers and it will be picked up in the next two weeks and with it maybe I can forego the "removing the bolt" deal!! I'm a shop owner also but buying one safe adds astronomically to the price considering freight so I got one of my old buddies to get an extra one added to his shipment. We are just now expanding the store to where we will be able to offer "safes in stock" but I needed one now! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Do you own more than one Remington short action rifle? What are the chances that you will accidently switch bolts?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Do you own more than one Remington short action rifle? What are the chances that you will accidently switch bolts?

Well zero if I mark on the outside of the ziplock bag which rifle the bolt belongs to. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DUH!! The serial number of the reciever is also etched on the bolt. However if one does not choose to be observant when retrieving bots from the safe, a SA bolt can be interchanged with a SAUM bolt which the mistake will become apparent at the range!!! A 300SAUM will not go "BANG" with a bolt from a 260 in it!! HaHAHAHAHAHA GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was hunting in Alaska and the outfitter had his .458 Lott in a soft case. Written on the case in giant letters was the word "BOLT". It seems he had once left it at home, many miles away.

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You also might want to try just opening the bolt (puts the bolt knob down where there is nothing on the next rifle to touch).

One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
A few weeks ago I discovered chris112's suggestion. Works like a charm!

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
my opinion, i don't like this idea of removing bolts .. i am having to buy another safe soon, anyway

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
my opinion, i don't like this idea of removing bolts .. i am having to buy another safe soon, anyway

And, with another safe, not only do you not have to remove the bolts, you will probably have room to add more rifles.....see how simple it is....New safe, no more scuffs, get more rifles.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RonE:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

And, with another safe, not only do you not have to remove the bolts, you will probably have room to add more rifles.....see how simple it is....New safe, no more scuffs, get more rifles.

I have 3 safes in my gun room already, so I'm a little short on available space. FS