New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 10FP
 Login/Join

<bigdogfan2003>
posted
I happened upon a Savage 10FP .223 in a local gunshop with a 20" Heavy barrel for $400. The owner said there were only 500 of these made, and that the shorter barrel would be better because of it's rigidity. Any comments on this gun? Is this a good deal?

thanks,
Kyle

<Rafael>
posted
Bigdogfan2003;

I have a 10fp in .308. They are very good rifles IMHO. As to the 20" barrel being more rigid....I think he's blowing smoke in the direction of your posterior. I believe the standard length is 24", This is not a great deal longer. My 24" is plenty rigid(the rifle). If you like the shorter barrel for a particular reason, get it. If you dont care, the longer barrel will give you higher velocities. I would compare the price elsewhere, though it doesnt seem high to me.
I paid $425 from my local dealer this past summer, but then- I like this guy and would rather give him my money. The right price is not as important to me as the right dealer- who stands behind his products.

$
RAF

one of us
posted Hide Post
The last savages I brought were for under 3 bills.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<bearlake>
posted
The 20' barrels are a new Savage line of police swat team rifels. There are thousands built! Firearm wholesalers the guys dealers buy there guns from have to buy 500 at a time from savage. I know these guns are sold for as low as 340$ and avrage around 365$. This gun is also in .308. If you want a good Savage shooter in .223 or 22-250 i think the model 12FV with 26" heavy tube is the way to go!

<Jim Dannels>
posted
I just bought a 10FP 24" and could not be happier so far. I hope to take it to 1000 yds at least once this summer. Yes I know Thats pushing it. My gunsmith said the 1-9 Twist would shoot up to 70 grn bullets, so I should do ok so long as I did`nt expect to beat the wind like the 6-284 would.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i had one with a 20'' barrel. it was called the 4x4 tactical. shot really well.

quote:
Originally posted by bigdogfan2003:
I happened upon a Savage 10FP .223 in a local gunshop with a 20" Heavy barrel for $400. The owner said there were only 500 of these made, and that the shorter barrel would be better because of it's rigidity. Any comments on this gun? Is this a good deal?

thanks,
Kyle

Posts: 351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote