New
Find
Notify
Tools

222 rem mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Snow is falling so it's time to start thinking about a new gopher gun.

I have got the hots for a 222 rem mag (everyone has a 223).
The only one that I can find that is currently available is the TC Encore with a barrel from Fox Ridge,

Any information on the experiences w/the Encore would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shep

Posts: 55 | Location: kalispell,mt | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What you may have to do is buy an older small caliber firearm at a reasonable price then send it out to be rebarreled to .222Rem. Mag. I acquired an older Sako single shot action some years ago, let it sit for a couple years until I made up my mind. Then I sent it off to Hart for a SS varmint barrel and Mc.Millan fibergrain stock. Ooooh but it's one sweet shooting rifle and still comes in at under 9 lbs. It didn't take long to become my favorite rifle. It's a winner. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No experience with Encore but a boatload and many years with the 222MAG!!! Once you have one, you'll never go back! Have one of the custom Encore barrel makers chamber you one up!!! Then stoke it with 29.0 grains of AA2230 and the 40 Sierras!!! And if that doesn't trip your trigger, just fill the case up with VARGET and wipe it flush with your thumb and seat a 40 grain BT on it!! (books say 30 grains of Varget......won't fit!!!) full case works!!! 25.1 grains of IMR 3031 under the mryiad of 50-52's available works pretty darn good too!! 26.0 grains of IMR 4895 and the 50's. ANd to punch little bitty ragged holes in paper......27.7 grains of AA2230 and the 52 grain Sierra MK!! Try it, you;ll like it!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .222 Magnum was the original case designed as the "new" military round back in the late fifties. But for the lack of magazine space in the Armalite rifle design, it was modified into the shorter-necked .223. Otherwise, we might all be shooting .222 Magnums!

I have one and have had one other of the relatively rare birds, and can't find anything not to recommend. If you REALLY want one for varminting though, I would recommend buying your choice of .223 bolt guns and having it rechambered to .222M as the most economical and satisfactory alternative. I'm not knocking the Encore, but I find a break action gun extremely awkward for shooting from prone or a rest.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No experience with Encore.

Have had two 222 Remington Magnums -- one a pre-Garcia Sako single-shot Vixen and one a left-hand Remington 700 VLS converted from a 223 Rem. The Remington has a 26-inch-long 12-inch-twist barrel. Both shoot fine. No troubles in loading and using.

No ammo at 'Mart though.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others about the 222mag.....I've had several in little Sako actions and Remington 40X's.....and have a round top Browning Sako action rifle now in 222mag.....I'm not a big fan of the encore but like single shots in the Rugers and low walls ect........get a couple hundred of the Remington cases and if cared for they will last the life of a barrel as a good chamber and careful sizing gives long life to the brass......enjoy the hunt...good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong here but have a strong suspicion that the .223 may all but disappear if the military ever drops it in its rifles. I honestly don't think most .223s could compete with the .222Rem. Mag. for accuracy. It was quite popular in benchrest circles for a while, along with it's big brother, the 6x47. Now the case is being used in the .204Ruger. They're having a hard time killing off this old warrior. Hopefully it's around for many more years. I certainly love mine. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try using Benchmark in your 222 magnums mine loves the stuff I am using 28gr with moly coated 55gr bullets it shoots well case have been loaded several times with no problems
a word of caution the above loads is OK in MY rifle it is a stiff load and may be to hot with uncoated bullets but I really like this powder in my rifle (L461 Heavy Barreled Sako) it shoots better then any other powder I have tried

Posts: 249 | Location: Australia | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote