New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-06
 Login/Join

<Starvos>
posted
I'm intrested in the 22-06 for my next rifle what ballistics could I expect from this wildcat chambering?above 5000fps. or less than this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .22 factory cartridge with the largest case capacity is the 5,6 x 61 vom Hofe Super Express. You won't get over 3500 fps (1060 m/s) for 4,6 grams (71 grains) bullet within safe pressure levels.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Varmint Hunter>
posted
Although a 22-06 would be an example of extreme overbore, I am sure that you could build one and easily exceed 5,000 ft/sec depending, of course, on bullet weight.
You could likely expect ballistics similar to the 22-284. Bore life should be just long enough to work up a good load, then rebarrel.Why not keep up with the current short/fat trend and consider a 22WSM, now that sucker would probably exceed 7,500 ft/sec and you'd sure be the first one on the block to do it.
Just kidding ya know :> )

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 22-06 would be identical in performance to the 22/284.The 22/284 will push a Nosler 60 grain Partition 4100 FPS from a 30 inch barrel.You'ld be getting right around 5000 FPS with a 40 grain,moly coated bullet.You'ld have to use a Nosler Ballistic Tip,as they are the only bullets I know of that have been labratory tested at those kinds of speeds and actualy made it to the target.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
You will find that the 22-06 will not be as fast as anticipated, the 06 case is not as strong in the web area as the 284 case, and the long powder column is not as efficient, mine only had a 28" barrel, but for all practical purposes it was no faster than a 30" barreled 22-243 Middlested shot in a side by side test.

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I have thought about the .22 06 Ackley Improved for a gun similar to the 5,6x57mm. The idea of using ultra heavy bullets like the 5,6 with a 1 in 9,5" twist is something I have thought about for some time. With a good barrel in the right gun I think it would become a favorite, I would even shoot springbok with it. For dassies the 55 grs vmax if it survived out of that fast twist of a barrel would be atomic.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
You can chat with Ken Howell over at the 24hourcampfire.com. He has developed the .220 Howell which is based on the 30/06 case. The concept of that cartridge is long bbl life however and not the highest velocity.

I am sure that the 06 was necked to .22 90 years ago.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Varmint hunting partner and I were thinking the same thing. We srarted off thinking about the 22/06, then the 22/06 Ackley, and ended up with the 22/6mm Ackley. The 22/6mm Ackley has .5gr less water capacity than the 22/06. We already had 6mm Ackleys so we decided to give it a try. We figured that we wanted a long range varmint gun so we settled on a 1-8" twist barrel for the 75gr A-Max. We've hit 3650 fps but our best accuracy is at 3438 fps. We,ve hit coyotes at 520yds with no problems. Our five shot groups at 500 meters is around 3" but with a better barrel, I think the groups will shrink. We're only testing this cartridge in a 24" barrel to see how it's going to work. So far it's looking good. Next project is the 6mm/06 Ackley.

------------------

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Dog any idea what the B.C. is for that 75 ?

Thanks

Dog

"GET TO THE HILL"

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stavros - Have you ever heard of the "law of diminishing returns?" Well, a 22/06 would be a classic example of this and I'm sure was tried by several people 60 years ago. You notice such a cartridge is not still around today? That ought to tell you something right there.

Anyway, I doubt you could get over 4,500fps...IF that much. Barrel life would be measured in hundreds of rounds...not thousands. Case life would suck as well.
And all the guys at the shooting range with .22/250s and 220 Swifts would laugh at you.

BAD idea, my friend.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark R Dobrenski:
[B]Big Dog any idea what the B.C. is for that 75 ?

Thanks

Dog

The BC for the 75gr A-Max is .440. We have 300 rounds through this gun and are starting to show 1/2" of alligator skin in the throat of the barrel. We knew this caliber was going to be a barrel burner. We figure we should get between 800-1200 rounds through it before we need to rebarrel it. This project was built on a 98 Mauser so parts were easy to find. We felt that since we were going to be going through a lot of barrels that we would try Adams & Bennett barrels short chambered for 22/250. We settled on the 1-8" twist for the heavier bullets. If you use the lighter bullets, you'll get there fast but you won't get the range of the heavier bullets. If you have the case capicity, why not push the heavier bullets fastet and get more range? The reason we went with the heavier bullets is to hit varmints at long range. The Big Dog

------------------

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TBD, for your next 6mm project take a look at the 240 Gibbs. Sort of a super 6mm-06 Ackley. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Stavros, I still like your idea I am lookig for a Steyr or a Blaser in 5,6x 57mm to work out the 22 06 idea still

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<grkldoc>
posted
Ok, I just built a 22-284 (same as a 22-06 for all intents and purposes)to play around with. Here is what you can do with a 27" barrel. Peak strain measurements are converted to psi.

40gr Nosler ballistic tip====> 4531fps 65000psi

75gr Hornady AMAX ====> 3696fps 66000psi

Now thats pretty good but its not 5000fps. These velocities were better than I expected.

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Think of the haze on dassies!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just like the 240 Apex, Barrel Life was not much. The Phillipine Government tested a 50 caliber case necked to 375 caliber hoping for a velocity of 5000 fps with a 300 grain bullet.
They ended up up with something like 3600to 3700
fps. I know the gunsmith that made several for them.

Law of diminished returns. The 22/6mm Ackley or the 22/284 are about as much as one can get reasonable velocity and any sort of a case life.
Local gunsmith had a guy order a 22/284 for 80 grain Nosler match bullets. When he picked it up he asked about barrel life the gunsmith told him about 500 rounds. He shelled out the cash for the barrel's replacement before he left the shop, so it would be available when he burned out the barrel in the one he was picking up.

I have hit 4750s fps with a 40 grain Nosler ballistic tip, in a 22/250, if one is not concerned about brass life. Brass is cheaper than barrels.
Food for thought.
Cheers and Happy New Year
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I read an aricle in Handloader by Ross Seyfried he built a 22-284 with a 30 inch and 1/7 twist heavy barrel look at some of the velocities he's getting

60gr Nosler Part.
RL-22 53.0grs @3,970fps
" " 55.0grs @4,103fps

75gr Lost River Bullet
H-870 61.0grs @3,700fps
RL-25 54.0grs @3,790fps

78gr Lost River Bullet
RL-22 48.0grs @3,605fps
RL-25 52.0grs @3,710fps

He said the 60gr Nosler penetrated 19inches of test media @100yds and the bullet retained 75% of it's wieght.
The lost river bullet penetrated 20 inches.
he was getting 1/2 inch groups at a 100yds with the Nosler with the max velocity.

I posted this to another forum over 2yrs ago. I still might have the magazine around here somewhere.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best thing i could think of for super high speed would be to take some 50 BMG brass and shorten it down to about 1.5-1.75 in. and so it has 50-60 gr. powder capacity. Then buy like 10 neck sizers so you can fireform the brass. once you get all that done you will be able to run pretty high pressure (Thick brass) and have the case capacity to get the job done. This type of thing would be extremely expensive but you could do it. Heck, you could probobly get a good ways over 5000 fps doing this.

For a fairly practical way for high speed though the 22-284 is probobly a good choice. I saw on the accurate reloading reloading pages they where actually getting over 5000 fps with a 22-250 AI. I don't know what kind of pressures they were running though.

Posts: 32 | Location: Loveland, Colorado | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have been working with a Steyr 5.6x57mm these past three months. Had a terrible time getting brass until Natchess got their recent batch of RWS brass. The 5.6x57mm is frustrating because my carbine does not like the lighter and faster bullets, but prefers heavier 64-74 grain bullets, so no really neat high velocity performance like the manuals forecast. I'd suggest that the prospective .22-06 owners reallu watch their barrel twist if they want speed and accuracy. Else you end up with accuracy, but no great speed.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another option would be the 224 Clark, the 7x57 necked down to 22cal. Probably very similar to sierra2's 5.6x57. It was designed to be used with a 9" twist to stabilize heavier bullets, but I would guess that a faster twist could be used for lighter bullets. I have no 1st hand experience with this round, but it's one that I'd like to play with some day.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Craig,

Speaking to a couple of gunsmiths on this subject a few years ago, I met a guy from over in Brookings that works with the PacNor guys.

He had looked into that and decided to go with a 6mm/06 instead using 60 grain Sierra HPs and 55 grain Ballistic Tips.

He found out and it was verified by some real experienced gunsmiths around here ( with national notariety somewhat) that the max case before getting no more velocity at all is the 243 case. As Duane from North Dakota mentioned with the 22/243 Middlestadt.

However, playing with the 223 this afternoon at the load bench with RL 7, I am seeing velocity potential in this case with a 40 grain ballistic tip safely at 4200 fps. Yet, I tried the same powder and same bullet in a 22/250 last year and got 4450fps, but case life was 5 or 6 loadings. I actually hit 4750 fps with a case life of twice if you were lucky.

Each person has to weigh out their price tag for velocity and see what it actually gives you.
However, in 22 caliber, one does not have to get anywhere near an 06 sized case to achieve it.

Cheers
thunderbolt

Posts: 70 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P47D,
I know what you mean, most all of this ground has been trodden before, your efforts and results show this for sure. Most all of the large capacity 22's are overbores for sure, short barrel life being common. After I come to my senses I always seem to ask myself, "why bother?" I guess the answer is "because we can." BTW, where 'bouts are you in OR? I'm in Humbolt Co. near the coast.

posted Hide Post
Craig,

I am in the Rogue Valley. I get down your way once in a while. You ever come up this way at all? Especially if interested in sage rat/ground squirrel shooting?

Got a few spots, that are pretty decent over by K Falls.

cheers
thunderbolt

Posts: 70 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thunderbolt,

Sent you a PM, did it come thru?

Craig

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I did some load development on a .22/.243 Middlestedt in another life. It was a single shot, 28" barrel. I used Norma MRP and bullets from 50 gr to 74 grains.

Highest velocities were in the 4,100+ range, rest down to 3,700 something. I ran out of twist in that barrel with the 70 grain and up bullets.

I still have a coupld of boxes of 74 grain Cone Point bullets I think.

Based on that experience I would not build a .22-'06.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We call it a 22x64 and start with a 270 case. First one is a converted 220 Swift with a 1:14" twist. We are in the process of building one on a 1:8" twist with a Shilen barrel.

See the two links below.
22 x 64
22 - 06 Easling