New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Savage 340d
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Regarding the second round hanging up: When the cartridge pops out of the mag, the edge of the case hangs up on a lip at the top of the chamber. Especially if you cycle the action briskly. You MIGHT be able to cure that by making a fairly deep chamfer to the inside of the case mouth and then firmly crimping the mouth into the channelure. I understand that one doesn't think of crimping a .222, especially a reloader but it does work. Also, you might try beveling the outside of the neck to the point where there isn't a lip to hang up on. I KNOW suggestion number one will work. good luck.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THe Savage 340 was an extremely economical rifle that gave good performance. Due to the design of the receiver, only a side mount fits. While the trigger pull is likely pretty heavy and ragged, the stock has way too much drop for scope use, and the overall appearance is rather unesthetic, they are servicable rifles that usually shoot with decent accuracy. The action design is not a particulary strong one, but it is fully adequate for the small .222 and its moderate pressures. The 340 was also built in .30-30 (common) and a few were made in .225 Winchester (rare). I seem to remember that some were also made in .22 Hornet, but I'm not certain of it.

Rick: People will steal anything, won't they!

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote