Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about 6mm PPC...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Anyone on here have one? Use it for hunting? I am thinking of getting an Encore barrel in this caliber and trying to decide rate of twist/etc. Neat cartridge that can fill the gap between my .223 and my 7mm-08. Hogs, Coyotes, Whitetail..

I already got dies Smiler . So I guess I am 1/2-way to taking the plunge Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako A1 in 6PPC. Bought it to shoot called coyotes. Unfortunately the coyotes have not cooperated.
It’s a very accurate gun. I’m shooting 65 grain Hornady vmax and benchmark powder.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Anyone on here have one? Use it for hunting? I am thinking of getting an Encore barrel in this caliber and trying to decide rate of twist/etc. Neat cartridge that can fill the gap between my .223 and my 7mm-08. Hogs, Coyotes, Whitetail..

I already got dies Smiler . So I guess I am 1/2-way to taking the plunge Big Grin

As you know it is the most accurate short range BR cartridge in existence at this time. For bullets from 62-68 grain I've used 13.4, 14, and 15 twist barrels. 22" barrels are the magic length for BR. I had one of the early Sako PPCs and it was a sweet rifle. The sweet spot for BR is around 3400fps.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with a twist rate that will stabilize the heavier hunting bullets.

Berger offers a 115-grain VLD hunting bullet and one can get 90 grain lead-free bullets in 6mm. They recommend a 1-7" twist or faster for this bullet. Check stability for the velocity you expect from the BR before committing, however.

When shooting lightweight varmint bullets, there is an outside possibility that one will need to back off from maximum loads to avoid producing lead puff balls. Even so, they will have plenty of velocity to produce spectacular results on varmints.

Posts: 89 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 11 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JASmith:
Go with a twist rate that will stabilize the heavier hunting bullets.

Berger offers a 115-grain VLD hunting bullet and one can get 90 grain lead-free bullets in 6mm. They recommend a 1-7" twist or faster for this bullet. Check stability for the velocity you expect from the BR before committing, however.

When shooting lightweight varmint bullets, there is an outside possibility that one will need to back off from maximum loads to avoid producing lead puff balls. Even so, they will have plenty of velocity to produce spectacular results on varmints.

If he was to shoot the 115, he should get a 6BR barrel. PPC would be a little light for the 115.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
It will depend on what you are using more of, heavy or light bullets. If you plan to use it more for hogs, coyotes, and deer I would be looking at a 8 or a 9 twist barrel. If you are killing paper and varmints, a 10 or better twist would be more appropriate. In my opinion, that 115gr Berger is too specialized a bullet to be considered when building a multi purpose gun. If it were me, I would go with a 9 twist. We don't have a lot of groundhogs in WI.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a friend with a little Sako rifle in 6mm PPC.He bought it for his grandson to shoot at deer. Like JAS has already said the slow twist on many of the 6ppc rifles will not stabilize heavier bullets that you would likely want to use on deer sized game.So you walk a fine line to find a bullet the slow twist will stabilize and one that will penetrate on a deer. I think I would go with a plain jane 243 if I was doing it,but its your nickel.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
Have a friend with a little Sako rifle in 6mm PPC.He bought it for his grandson to shoot at deer. Like JAS has already said the slow twist on many of the 6ppc rifles will not stabilize heavier bullets that you would likely want to use on deer sized game.So you walk a fine line to find a bullet the slow twist will stabilize and one that will penetrate on a deer. I think I would go with a plain jane 243 if I was doing it,but its your nickel.

Early on I had a Sako 6ppc and I think the twist was 12, but I could be mistaken. Probably limited to 75gr and smaller.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the responses, lots to ponder with the PPC. Glad I haven't ordered a barrel yet. I need to make a decision on what weight bullets I want...or to jump up to .25-06 or 264 win mag.

It seems like my rifle cartridges are beginning to step on each others toes. I could probably accomplish everything with just my .30-06...but how boring is that Wink

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for the responses, lots to ponder with the PPC. Glad I haven't ordered a barrel yet. I need to make a decision on what weight bullets I want...or to jump up to .25-06 or 264 win mag.

It seems like my rifle cartridges are beginning to step on each others toes. I could probably accomplish everything with just my .30-06...but how boring is that Wink

A 6BR would be hard to beat and it can handle the heavy 6MM bullets. It is very popular with the Long Range shooters for accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend built one over here in Scotland. Heavy barrel on an old Tikka action in a GRS stock. Very accurate and lovely to shoot. But struggled to get velocities that made it deer legal - we need a minimum of 100gn bullets with gel of 2450 and energy of 2,000 ft lbs. and on foxes it would not do anything that a 222 would not do just as well.

So he sold it for a profit to a target shooter.

For a hunting rifle to do double duty on foxes and smaller deer, just go with 243 win and put a slightly faster twist barrel to shoot long heavy bullets.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68778 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
A friend built one over here in Scotland. Heavy barrel on an old Tikka action in a GRS stock. Very accurate and lovely to shoot. But struggled to get velocities that made it deer legal - we need a minimum of 100gn bullets with gel of 2450 and energy of 2,000 ft lbs. and on foxes it would not do anything that a 222 would not do just as well.

So he sold it for a profit to a target shooter.

For a hunting rifle to do double duty on foxes and smaller deer, just go with 243 win and put a slightly faster twist barrel to shoot long heavy bullets.

We shoot our 6PPC with 68 grain bullets at about 3400fps. Maybe more powder would help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but if you want to hunt hogs and whitetail, you will want a much faster twist and a longer throat than is typically found on 6ppc rifle barrels. The 6mm BR Norma would be a much better choice for the spectrum of game on your menu. It is a long range cartridge designed with long bullets and a fast twist in mind. In a pinch, one can make 6mm BR brass from any 8mm mauser derivative, such as 30-06, 308 etc. A gunsmith friend makes 22 BR brass from 308.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have an Encore chambered for the 6.5 Grendel. it has about the same recoil as the .243 Win, a tajectory that compares well with .308 Win and is good for all game up through Elk, with the odd Moose thrown in for extra measure.

Having said that, the 6 PPC is really hard to beat. Yes the muzzle velocity with heavier bullets is deceptively slow, but the hunting bullets will still be effective when their impact velocity is in the manufacturer’s performance window.

The fast twist will not seriously affect performance with varmint class bullets too.

Posts: 89 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 11 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6mm PPC for paper for the high accuracy...BUT not on an Encore frame or for hunting... I think you would loose some of the accuracy potential and anemic heavy bullet performance.

I have an 16" NEF stub barreled 6mm BR now and had a target BR way back and shot against the PPC many times...it was tough going ALL the time.

Comparing case volumes, usually a good indicator of potential, the PPC has ~33 gr H2O and the BR has about 38, the 6.5 Grendel ~38...but since you have the dies already I would go with the PPC...that almost 14% greater capacity of the BR just adds a bit more bullet weight or ~100 fs more velo depending on all the other factors and not getting too picky.

I've tried the 115 gr Berger VLD's in my BR but at the velo I could get and the 1-12(I think) twist for the chopped up OEM 6mm Rem barrel, most never hit the 50 yd target. I should have YouTubed a vid on my antics surrounding that, but that was before YOOTOOB was invented, and those VLD''s were for my 6mm-284 1-8 anyway.

Besides both Br and PPC have been taking deer sized game since the both came out with available bullets for the time. I shoot 55-58 gr BT's and VM's and have no trouble whacking the odd 'Yote..I would probably use 80-85 gr Nosler BT's or Parts for deer with my shorty BR, tho'.

Good luck deciding and Good Hunting. tu2 beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW & IMHO,
I have a Sako AI 6PPC-USA which I bought as new, 98% plus, from an estate sale for $300. The finest trigger in my safe INCLUDING the $450 Bix'Nn Andy on my Borden SSR. I have just about zero interest in Benchrest, however, I adore this rifle from the perspective of fit and finish, wonderful balance(this is a varmint single shot and not the sporter. Which, it goes without saying, I would love to own), the already mentioneded triggger, and last but not least it's fairly amazing accuracy potential. Dunno beyond that... The only drag, at the time, was necking up and fireforming Lapua .220 Russian Brass up to 6mm via a 70 graim Nosler Ballistic Tips seated into the lands over V133. Even though the finished product is largely indestructable, when properly annealed and not otherwise abused, I would likely just buy Norma 6PPC-USA Brass if I had to do it over again...

Wonderful little cartridge that I am likely just as fond of because of the package, as much or more or so, as due to the performance of the cartridge. You have great taste in cartridges in my humble estimation(.223 & 7mm-08). Dunno what the PPC will bring to the table for Coyote that the .223(.223 AI in my case)does not already offer when properly loaded, however, it is a study efficiency and accuracy. I can't think of much that is not to like, short of feeding unless you can find a Sako 6PPC Sporter.

It is with that last issue in mind, and a a bit of extra ballistic peformance, that I would personally tend to lean toward the 6mm Remington Bench Rest. The 6BR is available with superb off the shelf Lapua Brass that is ready to load. You also have the option, a bit ugly though it may be, to make a 6BR repeater with AICS Bottom Metal, and the Primal Rights AICS Magazine Conversion Package.

I've thought of having a properly configured 6BR Single Shot built into a 500 yard Ground Hog Rifle, as well as a 6BR repeater "Calling Rifle", at various times through the years. Good sense unfortunately won out and I am without either. For the moment...;-)

Short of coming accross the right rifle already built, or a need to compete in short range benchrest, I would personally lean to toward the 6BR. FWIW & IMHO.

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the thorough response Matt. Cabelas twisted my arm this past weekend (amazingly) and I am now the owner of a 6.8 SPC. One of these days I may get into benchrest competing...but now I am trying to figure out what I can about the SPC for hunting purposes rotflmo

Never go to a gun store after receiving your tax return

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple 6mm PPC. One is a light weight hunting rifle with 1:12" twist. VERY accurate. It would not be appropriate for medium game.

My single shot Sako varmint is hell on wheels with 55-grain, and 70-grain, Nosler Ballistic Tips. Good out to 300 meters.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt: I also have two of these single shot Sako actions. A1 & A2, in 222 and 6BR, both with the target trigger.

Took me 15 years to find one, and found both at the same store. Cost $360 each.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The PPC is certainly an accurate round so you can't go wrong..

I opted a long time ago on the then popular and available 6x45, and Ive never regretted that, and I have the plus in that I can get fired factory 223 cases from several law enforcement sources free...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Short of coming accross the right rifle already built, or a need to compete in short range benchrest, I would personally lean to toward the 6BR. FWIW & IMHO.

Don't hate me because I own a Sako 6mm PPC repeater. It is the perfect walking around varmint rifle.

I have an extra barre for my single shot 6mm PPC Sako. Designed with a no turn neck, and 0.00" of free bore, it is a Bartlein barrel that DPCD turned to duplicate the contour of the original Sako barrel. As you have noted; What a trigger!

I agree with you that the 6mm BR is a more versatile round, especially the versions that are a bit longer in the body, and with blown out case walls. It is straightforward (mostly) to convert a .308 magazine box from a Remington to handle the 6mm BR, with liberal use of .223 magazine parts, and a magazine block. Cheaper than the AICS route.

Norma makes great 6mm PPC brass that is ready to go out of the box. Sako did sell excellent 6mm PPC brass, but recently discontinued that. The .220 Russian brass is easy to make into 6mm PPC. I use Redding dies with a 6mm tapered expander ball, and Imperial wax lubricant inside the case neck. After expanding the neck, I clean the inside with "Q" tips wetted with denatured ethanol. The wax cleans right up. The fireforming loads are plenty accurate for varmint shooting.

I don't turn the necks; I am not competing, just enjoying these marvelous rifles. I am excited to see how the Bartlein barrel does. That brand has never disappointed me.

I use H-322, and VV-130 powder. All good stuff.
I enjoyed your comments.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote