New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bloody Amazing!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Many years ago, my friend Dwight Scott built me a bench rifle.

It has a Hall action with a left port. It has a Hart barrel.

I installed a Leupold BR 36 scope on it.

I have shot groups with it here in our tunnel which were, frankly, very difficult to measure.

The rifle has been sitting here for many years, as it's ammo seems to have been lost among all the myriad stuff we have here.

The other day I was looking for something in the store we have under the staircase here, and came across 3 boxes marked HALL 6PPC.

I took these out, and found that most were empty, but there were some loaded rounds left, but sadly had no idea what powder they have in them.

I know the bullet, 68 grain Brawand, and the primer, which is a Federal 205M.

I took the rifle and fired one shot. It shot a bit high from the point of aim.

I wanted it to shoot dead on, as some friends wanted to try a really accurate rifle.

I adjusted the scope, and fired another shot.

Still slightly off point of aim.

I fired a third shot, and was almost dead on in the bullseye.

I fired a further 2 shots, and from this distance they all looked like one bullet hole!!!

I went and put a video camera downrange, to take a video of a 5 shot group I was going to shoot.

I fired my 5 shots, and I was not disappointed!

0.09"???

The 3 shot group mentioned earlier is 0.06" as far as I can ascertain!!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68660 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
That would be very satisfying to shoot but very annoying if you can't identify the powder and charge to duplicate that load?

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's why one keeps records.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have records in a book.

But have no marking on the ammo box!! sofa

Posts: 68660 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
How about a pic of that group? I know a pic of a group is a pic of a group but I'd like to see it.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
A picture of a one hole group would look like, one hole. I can just envision that in my head.

Posts: 17272 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not pull one of the remaining rounds and weigh the powder. Then you can see which record matches the charge weight.
Oh, and not bad shooting.
Cheers

Posts: 103 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have records in a book.

But have no marking on the ammo box!! sofa
OUCH!

But weighing the charges (as BC3 suggested) might narrow down the possibilities, if not point directly to the correct load.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What’s the problem?

You know what the rifle is capable of... now you get to enjoy working up a load and playing with it again... it’s a new toy all over!

Posts: 10977 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldI would bet a Quarter that if you loaded some up with 27grains of v-N133 (same bullet)you would at least duplicate that performance.
Any takers??? Wink roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
great shooting..

I might have missed it.. but, what was the range.? I seen very difficult to measure, but, about how far..?

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Super nice group and shooting there Saeed. Cool looking round, looks similar to my 6.5 Grendel. How about a pic of the rifle? Sorry to be a pain in the butt about it but I like pic's

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, Not bad at all...for someone who doesn’t shoot much! tu2 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
It was always and accurate rifle, even before you wound it on to the bull Smiler

Posts: 5084 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hall 6 PPC

This is the video of the target.

Second row, second from left.

Look carefully and you can see each bullet as it hits the target.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! Just . . . wow!

That's phenomenal. The rifle, the load and the rifleman must be in perfect harmony for that to happen.

And the rifleman is the link between the rifle and load, and a great group.

Congratulations and thanks for the video.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Now for the truth, how did your friends go shooting it? Smiler

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Like BL said Wow, just wow.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think I just converted another shooter to reload his ammo!

A friend came over with his friend from Oman.

The gentleman from Oman likes to shoot, mainly 22 rimfire and shotguns.

Occasionally they shoot old Lee Enfield 303 British for fun.

I had a Sako HB 222 Remington, which I was trying to develop some loads for.

My intention is to develop a load that shoot accurately, without going all the way to try and find the ultimate load for it.

This rifle will be used here in our range for shooters who wish to try it, nothing else.

I had 100 rounds of S&B factory ammo, which were almost all finished, shot by several people.

My intention, as we do with all rifles here, is to get 100 rounds just for that particular gun, and as I did not have any empty brass, but plenty of this ammo.

I had a few factory rounds left when they came.

The gentleman from Oman asked why I was wasting this ammo by just firing it down range.

"This ammo is not very accurate, and I anted to make accurate ammo for this rifle"

"How can you make better ammo than the factory does?" came back his answer.

My friend was laughing, "You do not know what magic goes on in this dungeon! This man lived in India for while, he learnt a few things from the snake charmers there. Then he went to America, learnt their advanced technology, won the American Trap Championship, won the Champion of Champions in trap, went to Africa, learnt a few things from the witch doctors. And combined all this lot to show you how he can make better ammo than the factories"

Oh well, how can one live up to the above now, I thought.

I gave our Omani friend 5 rounds, and asked him to shoot a group with them.

He did, and shot a nice, typical group what this ammo is capable off.

Two shots touching, and the other three scattered around.

I took the same five cases he shot, resized, trimmed and uniformed the primer pockets.

I primed them with RWS 4033 small rifle primers, and as I had VARGET already by the powder scale, I loaded 24 grains of it, and topped them with 52 grains Brawand bullets.

Gave him the loaded rounds and asked him to shoot them.

There was all sorts of laughing and kidding going on , and the shooter was not expecting any better accuracy than his first group.

When he fired his second shot, and it was almost touching the first, he turned around and looked back and asked "is this magic?"

"Shut up and shoot!" he was told.

He did, and finished all five shots.

All five were clustered together.

We got the targets, and measured the groups.

Factory was 1.310"
Reload was 0.373"

I am going to keep this load for this rifle, as most of the shooters who will shoot it are not capable of shooting any better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Have you asked Dwight about the loads?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42149 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Saeed,
Have you asked Dwight about the loads?

Ray, the load is not a problem.

I have several that I am sure would shoot just as well if everything went well.

My amazement was on how half a box of handloads over 20 years old did this, with me shooting them!!

I was developing loads for a Weatherby Vanguard in 223 Remington earlier, and the rifle would not even shoot much less than an inch!!

I found some very old and well used brass, which I probably used to experiment with. Their necks were different thickness and some would not even hold the bullet properly.

We loaded these and shot them with Roy and Alan were here, but of course we did not get the accuracy we wanted from this rifle.

I was glad I found these reloads, together with more brass, as I wanted to prepare them for shooting this rifle again.

My intention was to shoot what I have found.

When I adjusted the scope, I was amazed by three shots going into the same hole!!

That is when I went and put the camera there. I knew I was going to get a one hole group, but frankly did not expect it to be like this.

Had a Whatsapp chat with both Roy and Alan, and I told them I will keep some of these rounds for them to shoot when they come over next year.

A friend here calls this rifle the "bragging rifle"!

The only thing people complain about it is the trigger.

It is so light they call it the "don't breath" trigger! clap

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Dwight does make absolutely fantastic rifles!

No questions about it whatsoever.

I found another rifle built by Dwight.

This one built on a Hall M action, and chambered for the 308 Winchester with a neck of .334.

A friend wanted to borrow an accurate rifle to shoot with his friends out in the desert, while they are camping.

I thought I will let him have this rifle.

I used a power tool adaptor and turned the necks of 50 Lapua cases, these are from once fired Lapua Match ammo.

I loaded 44 grains of VVN540 with RWS 5431 large rifle primers.

5 shots at 100 yards were 0.120”!
Velocity was 2733 fps.

He is collecting it this evening, as I am flying out early tomorrow for a few days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
27gr. of V133 is a light load. Most use about 30. When Saeed's was loaded, H322 was the most popular powder and around 27.5 gr.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote