Find
Notify
Tools

.222- -.223 wcc846
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
bewilderedIs there anyone using WCC 846 surplus powder for .223 or .222. What good things are you finding? And what about WCC844? gunsmileroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Roger:

Where do you pick up the surplus winchester powders at?

cheers

Posts: 70 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have yet to find a really good load for my .223s using WC 846. That's too bad, too, as I have 6 kegs (48 lbs.) of it here. I have read that it was intended for 69 gr. and heavier bullets used by the military, but do not know if that is correct.

Actually, so far I haven't found much of any caliber where that is THE best powder for accuracy. I know the recommended loads I have tried using it in, in the .22-250 and the .225 Winchester, have performed dreadfully. That, of course, could just be the loads I've used and/or my rifles.

Personally I prefer WC 844 among the ball powders for the .223. To tell the whole truth though, I find that short stick powder (Vihtavouri N-133) works a lot better than either, in my rifles.

Alberta Canuck

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent luck with WC 844 (H335 equivalent) in these two calibers. WC 846 is very similar general speed, but is compounded to have a more even pressure rise in larger cases, and therefore "acts" slower in a case like the .308 Win. Curiously, in the smaller cases like .222 and .223, WC 846 may even appear to be slightly faster than WC 844. Notwithstanding that, I think you are safe with the same amount of 846 as you would use H335 or WC 844 in either caliber. Try it at the bench an see what your results are.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
P47D (Another propjob)A number of places sell either or both . HI-TECH at 1-800-468-8617 is one source. If you shop around you might do better in price.

Al Canuck - I've had good results with the 846 in my cousins .223, .257 and .270. thumb In fact the .223 gives the best results with th 846 over any other powder tried. Have not had a great load for my .222 which seems to like the 844 better. Does anybody hear a pronounced lengthy Ka bOOOOOOM with the 846? The flash from the .257 must be five feet long to boot. Strange powder. bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Actually a lot of shooters use WC846 in 223 but probably not those using sporting barrels with twists in 12 and 14. Those barrels handle the light weight bullets OK for short ranges, but the competition shooters using 223 caliber will have barrels of 7 or 8 and use the 69, 75,77, and 80 grain bullets. For the 200 and 300 yard ranges, the 69's work very well and this is where the WC846 works nicely. At our local range, most of the bolt .223's and the AR15's as well will deliver well under 1/2 moa accuacy witht WC846, LC Brass, Win Small Rifle Primers and seated to 2.255 OAL (feed through the mags)
For the heavier bullets used at 600 yards, the other weights and other powders (as in RE15) are more common. Just my own experience.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear bartsche,

I've also noticed the excessive muzzle blast with WC844, particularly when I tried in 444 Marlin and 376 Steyr. I'll be sticking to using it in my 223, since I find the concussive blast to be worse than the recoil.

Washougal Chris

Posts: 116 | Location: Washougal, WA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried the 846 in any of my centerfire 22's, but I have found some great loads with it in a couple of 308's. Hmm. I'll have to give it a whirl when it warms up. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote