Find
Notify
Tools

17 caliber handgun question
 Login/Join

<JoeM>
posted
Hello
I originally put this in the gunsmithing forum, but it might be better placed here. I would like a handgun, based on one of the small or mid capacity 17 centerfire wildcats.
I do not wish for an Encore, but, rather, if possible I would like a revolver.

Has anybody ever done this?

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

posted Hide Post
Joe,
Someone somewhere must have tried this by necking down a .22 Jet to .17, but the problem with bottlenecked cases in a revolver is case setback, which locks up the gun.

Hornady has announced its .17 Hornady Rimfire Magnum for 20002; gunmakers offering .22WMR autoloaders will probably chamber this round in an autloader shortly.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard that Volquartsen will be producing an semiauto pistol chambered in .17 HMR, based off of their .22 Mag action.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy that has a 17 Mk IV rimmed contender barrel, this is a 221 fireball necked down, but using the 360 DW case to have the rim.

From his 14" barrel, he's pushing 25 gr bullets 3600 fps.

I would assume that in a revolver one would loose a great deal of velocity due to the barrel/cylinder gap.

You could get a Tuarus raging horner, have it rebarreled, and a new cylinder made and chambered in a 17 Ackley Hornet. I would expect this would be an exspensive project, as you'd be paying for the R&D work, though I can see no reason why it wouldn't work. I believe Jack Huntington works on the Taurus guns. I've fired several of his custom Ruger's, and he does superb work, and reasonably priced.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to their website, Phillips & Rodgers sell custom revolvers in 17 Ackley Hornet and 17 Ackley Bee.

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote