New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 257 Wby "Looker"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've always loved the 257 Wby; it was the rifle I took on my first guided hunt in Texas many years ago. I haven't had one for some time, but recently stumbled upon this one. In today's world of ho-hum wood quality, this one really stood out. Although it's 35 years old or so, it is just about spotless. Can';t wait to see what it will do with a 110gr Accubond.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!!!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Makes my Vanguard Series 2 look like the modern plastic gun that is.....for sale. :-)

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beauty of a gun and in a great cartridge.
I have a custom 257 wby on a Sako action and really like it.
Looks like a 24" barrel so you will loose a little velocity.
Enjoy the 257.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lastofthebreed
posted Hide Post
Great gun and a great looker. I have one of those and I love it.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

I love mine.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I want to get it out to the range once it gets above 15 degrees :-(

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
on that rifle you have to lift the bolt upwards before pulling it back and then do the reverse to load it. i hope these simple instructions will help a blaser user to successfully operate such a rifle Big Grin hilbily Whistling

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice find!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
on that rifle you have to lift the bolt upwards before pulling it back and then do the reverse to load it.

Yes, it is one of those old, low-tech designs :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sweet on Biebs!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, you surprise me...no offer? :-)

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!!!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
So when are you moving this thread to the arbay gun sales side Jon?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not for some time. Great caliber and outrageous wood...what's not to like? :-)

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the ol' "warm up before the pitch" here. You should load up some solids and try for a multi pig shot down south before you 'flip' this one Biebs. Cool caliber.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5238 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that the original stock?

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colin, yes it is. I had a very similar stock on a Wby 10 years or so ago, but it was a 5-panel Lasermark.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing about the Weatherby rifles, they have always made a nice looking rifle. That's the caliber I would get if I ever did go to the weatherby.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that one of the Mesquite stocks Roy kinda made famous?? Beautiful Rifle and i generally don't like Wby Stuff..

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 19 April 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
You need to install a flash hider, sand down the big monte carlo, give a round knob shape to the grip, mount an ACOG, install a rail on the handguard and fit it with a flashlight, mount a forward horizontal grip, Ceracoat it in mossy oak, and rechamber to .257 Wby AI. --- Or maybe not!

The style may be passe but the wood is fantastic. Calico? That stock was originally shaped to facilitate accurate shooting and I bet it still will. Wink

Nice find. Don't let the snow stop you!

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very WBY.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a MK5 in .240 wby that I was given with a very beautiful straight comb stock with pancake cheek piece. Could not be any different looking.

Do factory weatherby rifles come factory without a montecarlo comb? I need to post a picture of it.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wood is phenomenal. Very striking.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Not bad at all Biebs! Not bad at all!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colin, Weatherby made a model called the Classic or Classicmark. It had a straight comb and more classic styling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. It needs a red recoil pad to be proper, but it is a sweet little rifle that I need to shoot more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Biebs:

My first rifle was a Parker-Hale 1200. The Weatherby look died rather suddenly and my rifle suddenly didn't look sexy anymore, so I dumped it. But I have a huge hankerin' to get anther PH 1200 in 7mm Rem - just for the nostalgia.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what kind of drew me to this one...my original 257 Lasermark. Nostalgia is right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice wood.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is a Weatherby! Nice find, Biebs. Some of those older Weatherby rifles hit the jackpot on the piece of wood they got. I've seen some others, usually in small calibers for some reason, that have similarly-spectacular stocks.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several of my Colorado hunting friends use that caliber. Been watching them shoot elk every year and they do lay an elk in the dirt pronto.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You've now had it for a little over a week. What's the price? I could make it feel very welcome.

The 257 is only second to the 300 Roy in my book. I have both calibers and they are definitely lightning-inspired.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only rifle I am going to buy this year is going to be a vintage .257 weatherby mark v.

I'm inspired! The wood on this thing is as interesting as all get out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, Biebs.....that's awesome. Great find.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You've now had it for a little over a week. What's the price?

I'm thinking, I'm thinking :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
I have a MK5 in .240 wby that I was given with a very beautiful straight comb stock with pancake cheek piece. Could not be any different looking.

Do factory weatherby rifles come factory without a montecarlo comb? I need to post a picture of it.

I would need to see a pic, but I suspect it may be a Weatherby Classicmark which was made for some time with a classical stock style. Maybe Google it amd look at the pics on the net. It didn't look like a Weatherby which I guess is why it was dropped. They look good to me but I've never seen one in South Africa.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs as a Weatherby fan I have to love that. It looks a bit like someone melted chocolate and poured it on as a topping...

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, unusual wood, for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good one Biebs. You just keep ge tying your hands on some good stuff!!

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote