New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading for K Hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have loaded some for the hornet and tried small pistol primers with quite good groups at 100 yards.
What say you on the K Hornet? Stay with the SMP or go to the 205M primers? FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of WSR primers in the Hornet based rounds I shoot. .22 Hornets, .22 K-Hornet and .17 Ackley Hornets. As we all know however they like what they like.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i tried using small pistol primers and didn't see any improvement in using them. went back to small rifle

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As we all know however they like what they like.

+1
tu2
quote:
i tried using small pistol primers and didn't see any improvement in using them. went back to small rifle

+2
Reminton 6 1/2.
tu2

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas
As it happens I have a whole bunch of older Winchester 6 1/2 primers and some Rem 6 1/2 primers to choose from. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm yet another who has chased the "Holey" Grail of pistol primers in the Hornet (and K-Hornet) and found no advantages over standard-force small rifle primers. About the only useful feature of the SP over the SR is that they usually have slightly thinner cups and therefore will warn you of approaching high (for the Hornet) pressures quicker than rifle primers.

I do advise sticking to the "standard" SR primers rather than the 'magnums' like the CCI 450 and Rem 7 1/2. There's just no need for extra flame in the little Hornet case.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I'm yet another who has chased the "Holey" Grail of pistol primers in the Hornet (and K-Hornet) and found no advantages over standard-force small rifle primers. About the only useful feature of the SP over the SR is that they usually have slightly thinner cups and therefore will warn you of approaching high (for the Hornet) pressures quicker than rifle primers.

Thanks Stoney. FS

I do advise sticking to the "standard" SR primers rather than the 'magnums' like the CCI 450 and Rem 7 1/2. There's just no need for extra flame in the little Hornet case.