THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    (Blasphemy) 6.5 x 55 Premium Factory Ammo

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(Blasphemy) 6.5 x 55 Premium Factory Ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Recently got a Sauer 202 in this caliber and it will become my preferred Michigan Whitetail gun. I don't reload, but figure you guys are the best source of knowledge on ammo for this caliber - so who makes premium ammo in the 140 grain range (or different size if you think that's appropriate for Deer) that you can find in a shop? Even the biggest stores around here have only some soft pointed Norma and little else.

Thanks, Q

Posts: 31 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two Best Sources: Norma and Lapua

Norma: 140gr. Nosler Partition PN: 16559

Lapua: 140gr. Naturalia PN: N316101

If you want domestic ammo:

Check: http://www.cpcartridge.com/6.5X55SM-P.htm

And last Hornady LM in 129 gr.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Q,
I just looked through the current Norma catalogue and the only 140grain load they list is the Nosler Partition. You would struggle to do better than that.

Avoid any US made ammo in this calibre. It tends to be woefully underloaded.

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Norma has a load with the 156 grains Oryx, a good bonded bullet with good reputation among our swedish moose hunters. Ballistics are good enough for that sort of game.

Best regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't really go wrong with any of the factory ammo, Norma or Lapua with a 155-156gr. bullet. You don't really need bonded bullets at 2500fps but some folks like them. I used a standard 160gr. Sierra handloaded last week in my 6.5x55 to harvest my first bull elk. Just behind the near shoulder, through the top of the heart and through the offside shoulder. Bullet found just under the skin retained about 72% or original weight.

I've seen good things from the 129gr. Hornady in my testing, and wouldn't hesitate to use the LM ammo from them if just hunting deer and your rifle got along well with the ammo. I just like the looks of those looooong bullets.

Posts: 192 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I just like the looks of those looooong bullets.

Yeah! Sectional density rules!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Norma ammo when we finally got it up here, before that it was Federal ammo, both loaded wth 140gr bullets. The stuff from Norma seems to shoot more consistently and is much closer to their claims for velocity. Certainly can't fault the bullet in the Norma, I love the partition. I've also handloaded the Hornady 129gr and it's been a bit more accurate, more velocity, and works well on deer. I'd like to see if my rifle will shoot the 129gr Hornady boat tail version as well as it shoots the flat base, the SD is good but the BC is really high in comparison.

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in a hurry getting ready for opening day yesterday and hunted down some Norma 156 gr Alaska ammo. Ouch is what I have to say about the price ( $34.00 ) but it was the only box I could find.

I am not anticipating any long shoots ( under 150 yds ) and if the deer are cooperative tommorrow I'll let you know how they work.

I wish I could have founbd the 140 gr Nosler, Norma ammo, but that wasn't in the cards.

This winter I need to stock up on my 6.5 components, but the good stuff is all mail order, and not stocked locally.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
We shoot the Norma 156 Oryx with deadly accuracy and performance on game( A client even used it in Africa with excellent results). Can't go wrong with that load.

Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quadzilla, from the responses you're getting, it looks to me like going with the 6.5x55 is hardly worth the trouble. You want to shoot whitetails, and whitetails are American, right?? Why use a non-patriotic caliber??? What you need is to use your 30-06 barrel for your 202. then you will feel better and more like a true American when you drop that big old buck. Premium ammo is plentiful in 30-06.

End of problem. Almost.

When you follow my sage advice, you will have a 202 barrel in 6.5x55 that you will be ashamed of owning. What to do, you ask??

Well, I'd be glad to help you out. Just box up the offensive barrel and send it down here to Nebraska. I'll take care of it for you. I can promise you that you will never see it again.

Don't worry about me. I stand ready to help out my fellow hunters, regardless of the shame I might bear for owning the Swede barrel.

Contact me at your earliest convenience. Will be glad to send you a box to ship barrel in. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Your friend,
Bill in NE

Posts: 165 | Location: Adams, NE USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quadzilla, from the responses you're getting, it looks to me like going with the 6.5x55 is hardly worth the trouble. You want to shoot whitetails, and whitetails are American, right?? Why use a non-patriotic caliber??? What you need is to use your 30-06 barrel for your 202. then you will feel better and more like a true American when you drop that big old buck. Premium ammo is plentiful in 30-06.

End of problem. Almost.

When you follow my sage advice, you will have a 202 barrel in 6.5x55 that you will be ashamed of owning. What to do, you ask??

Well, I'd be glad to help you out. Just box up the offensive barrel and send it down here to Nebraska. I'll take care of it for you. I can promise you that you will never see it again.

Don't worry about me. I stand ready to help out my fellow hunters, regardless of the shame I might bear for owning the Swede barrel.

Contact me at your earliest convenience. Will be glad to send you a box to ship barrel in. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Your friend,
Bill in NE

Sage advice to be sure.

The terrible truth of the matter is that I have two rifles and three barrels - 6.5, .308 and .30-06. I'm going to sell one of the rifles with one of the barrels to fund another pressing project. The real question is to keep two long actions, two 30 calibers or two equally powered (and accurate) calibers.

Tough decision.

Posts: 31 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal Premium with the Trophy Bonded Core has worked well for me. Did not see anything better in Norma, and Federal ammo is far more available. You can make up some super hand loads for the 6.5x55 with the Norma Oryx, Noslers, or Hornaday bullets. It is all in what you want to do.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might not need premium ammo. My Model 700 Classic loves Seller & Belliot in 131 gr. This ammo costs less than $9 a box through Natchez and groups less than 3/4 an inch at 100 yards in my rifle. Every deer and pronghorn it has hit has gone all wobble legs and fell over.

Sometimes the premium stuff is over rated. Deer are not exactly a thick skinned animal and regular soft ammo has been putting deer in the skinning shed for many many years.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote