THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Aargard on the .243 and big game
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aargard on the .243 and big game
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pattersonj11:
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
quote:
We have a pair of 30-06's, a 30-30, and a pair of .243's in the safe between me and my Dad. The .243's get carried for whitetails the majority of the time. I was shooting my 30-06 last year and lost 3/6 deer with it. People can doubt the shot placement if they like...but every deer I pulled the trigger on last year hit the ground. I had a huge problem with them getting up after they had been down for a decent amount of time.

I have now reverted back to the .243. I have lost a deer here and there with it, but never on a 50% rate. Also, it is important to state that I have lost these deer (2) over a period of 14 years. I started using PMC 100 grain bullets because both the rifles will shoot sub-moa with those for some reason, now that they can't be found easily, I use 100 gr federals and Dad uses 80 gr PMC's. I can now shoot roughly 1.5" with the federals but the other gun still shoots MOA with lighter bullets. As far as not leaving an exit hole...I have only had that happen once. I shot a large bodied deer in the left side of the chest and found the bullet in the hide after it tore through the right side ham. I could be wrong, but I don't think the .30-06 would have done any better on that one. It has more surface area and more friction as a result to slow it down.

Some deer are just built stronger in my opinion. I can't recall tracking a deer for Dad in recent years, they all drop. My shots are placed just as good if not better, and I have to track a lot of mine, although usually not that far. Could be the increased speed in the 80 grainers? Anyway...like I said, some deer are just in it to win it. They would run if shot with a 50bmg. Others are gonna go down with a .17hmr. Had a guy tell me once that a deer I shot was "running dead". I don't have the science to support it, but I've seen more than one deer go 50-60 yards with a disintegrated heart.

Anyone else notice an excess in meat destruction with the .243's? I cant recall a time when we were able to save both shoulders except for a couple deer shot in the neck. The 30-06 seems to cause less damage to the shoulder area when aiming behind the shoulder.

Also...it is very nice to carry a lightweight rifle instead of the heavy BAR 30-06. '

I would like to shoot some of these nuisance hogs that are supposed to be problematic throughout a lot of the South. If I do, I will either take the .243...or the 9mm Para if on one of the dog hunts. Just my opinions.

I would really like to hear more on this discussion. The .243 debate is my favorite topic these days.

You lost 3 of 6 deer and you are blaming it on the cartridge?

I knew someone would throw that up, which is why I covered the issue originally. Anyway, yes, after consideration, I think the only blame can be the projectile. I did find out later in the year that the casings were split at the neck...but I don't think that would present a large issue.

Although bad shot placement will surely be your argument...I find it hard to believe that bad shots dropped all three deer. One was at 210 yds, another at roughly 100 yds, and the other was at 4 yds. Yes 12 feet. I've never seen a deer hit the ground with a "bad" shot. Heck, a ton of them run even with a "great" shot.

I take the time to analyze shots on recovery and try to relate the actions of the deer to where the shot was. Two of these deer had body language similar to a spine/head shot deer in that they collapsed with some kicking. The other deer tumbled down a hill for a good ways before rolling out of the lane and into the woods.

Neither buck had a blood trail sufficient enough to indicate a bullet exit; however, that is not fact, and just an opinion. On the doe...I have no idea about that one. There was enough blood in the woods to paint a barn. We trailed it for over 200 yards until the blood just quit.

In conclusion, after reading body language after the shot, and blood findings, the evidence tells me that the projectile failed.

I am extremely interested in an alternative conclusion from your perspective taking the same evidence into consideration.

Thanks for replying.

What bullet were you shooting?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pattersonj11
posted Hide Post
quote:

The ammunition was Winchester Powerpoints 150gr.

Posts: 72 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a couple of deer get up after they have gonedown immediately at the shot. They had been shot behind the shoulder - nothing wrong with the shot. My mistake was to go up to them straight away. On approaching they saw me, and with a big surge of adrenalin got up and ran about 50 to 60 yds before falling over stone dead. Fortunately both on ope muntainside. In the woods you would nt have found without a good dog.

On gralloching they had been well shot through the lungs. My theory is that going straight down ment they didn't quickly bleed out. Most advice suggests waiting a good ten minutes before approaching a downed beast and now do this all the time.

I have noticed with the 243 roe and red tend to run 30 yds and then collapse, whereas with 7x65r knocks them straight over, but they then kick / even try to get back up forseveral seconds after being shot.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I witnessed Phillip price shoot a wounded Eland and one of the biggest bulls I have ever seen and scaled a 2400 plus with a 100 gr. Rem Corelokt. the bullet went from the hip to the front shoulder and was under the skin..It was impressive..

I have shot some Mule deer and antelope with the .243 and it killed well but I also had failures in that it did not leave a blood trail an finding the animals took many hours..

I'm not particularly fond of the caliber but used properly it kills deer fine and particularly the very small whitetails that finn Aagaard shot on his home place..Those deer are not much larger than 120 pounds at best.

I would use it the same way I use my lesser 6x45 on Mule Deer, only in open country where I can see them run and go down or at least know what direction they are going.

The secret to using ANY caliber is to know its limitations and your limitations and you will do fine even with a 22 L.R. and I have killed many deer with that caliber.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I did find out later in the year that the casings were split at the neck...but I don't think that would present a large issue. "

Every split neck I've ever had open my group signifantly; sounds even more like bad hits to me.

Your observation about the "projectile" counts too, an inappropriate bullet for the game is a bad choice if it's shot from a .243, .30-06 or .375.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pattersonj11
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
"I did find out later in the year that the casings were split at the neck...but I don't think that would present a large issue. "

Every split neck I've ever had open my group signifantly; sounds even more like bad hits to me.

Your observation about the "projectile" counts too, an inappropriate bullet for the game is a bad choice if it's shot from a .243, .30-06 or .375.

At the time, I was under the assumption that a 150gr powerpoint would be a good deer bullet. I'm still not completely convinced otherwise. I quit using them after that and had decent luck with the Silvertips later on. With my .243, I shoot Federal Powers Shocks and they work...although I would like to see more blood when tracking.

Regardless of what this has turned into, the original post was to validate the .243 as an acceptable round for most game animals. In my experience, I have had better luck with that round than larger rounds.

Thanks for all the input from everyone...its great to look for new angles in order to figure out problems and how to solve them.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The secret to using ANY caliber is to know its limitations and your limitations and you will do fine even with a 22 L.R. and I have killed many deer with that caliber.

THIS!!!

I actually like power points for factory ammo and have some recovered slugs that look like an advertisement.

If you are having issues killing deer with nearly any caliber, you need to look at placement and bullet selection. I can tell you for a fact that a .223 with decent bullets works. Why someone would have an issue with a .243 Win on deer is hard to believe it's anything except placement. (unless they are trying to use varmint bullets, but even then...)
With a .308 or '06, if you loose one it's because of placement and bullet selection. The Nosler BT works like crazy with a perfect shot, but I have seen it ineffective on shoulder hits. And that from an '06. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you put powerpoints out of a 30-06 in the vitals of a deer then you would have a dead deer. If it didn't kill him then yes it was placement and not the cartridge.
Knock his transfer case out (through both shoulders) and no tracking required

One of Us
Picture of pattersonj11
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you put powerpoints out of a 30-06 in the vitals of a deer then you would have a dead deer. If it didn't kill him then yes it was placement and not the cartridge.

I'm not saying it didn't die. I am simply implying that there was hardly a blood trail and the deer was never located.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Given the many number of deer taken with the 150gr Winchester PowerPoint, it's a tough sell to claim bullet failure given the caliber and reliable history of the load.

I think the 243 is a perfectly fine cartridge for deer, but I prefer a 30cal if I have the option.

...on earth as it is in Texas

Posts: 93 | Location: Magnolia, TX | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I guess they don't have any Sika in Kentucky Big Grin

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJM:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I guess they don't have any Sika in Kentucky Big Grin

Not too many of those here hilbily

one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
I learnt something a while ago about the main factor influencing if a deer will drop to the shot or run.

Its not Calibre

It's not bullet design

It's not velocity

It's not even placement of the bullet

It's if the deer wants to run sometimes even when everything is right a deer will run.

You could hit it through both shoulders with the main gun of an Abrhams tank and it would run.

I remember one day shooting a Muntjac (max Wieght 25lbs dressed with its head and feet still on) it was 140m away and I shot it standing off sticks through the shoulders with my 25-06 and a 115 gr BT 3250fps MV.

I saw the strike and out shot ( the beauty of a suppressed rifle) the muntjac just ran straight towards me it was about 20m from me and I was about to shoot again when it dropped.

The bullet had not failed as the exit was at least 3" dia with the top half of the heart hanging out side the body cavity the outshot was covered in blood and lung tissue.

So how did this little deer run such a long way?

I thought lots about this and concluded because it wanted to! Cool

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Finn must think that the 30/30 is inadequate for deer also

After all, the 170 grain 30/30 load has only 1,873 ft-lbf of energy while the 105 grain 243 load has 2,080 ft-lbf.

I've yet to meet an animal who knows what a ft-lb is.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If that brass with the split necks came from the factory that way, then they did a piss poor annealing job on those casings before they loaded them.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For one reason they are not on a 10 day hunt, most are shot at fairly close range from pickups or out the kitchen window while the elk eat off there haystack, or they just pack the gun horseback every day while checking cows or fence and when they jump a elk or deer out they step off the horse, tie him up and kill the animal, and then go about their business and come back and get it later..No need for heavy recoiling rifles, they shoot good and have been raised hunting and most only own one rifle. It is just a part of their every day life.

Worked with a guy a few years back whose mother had killed a couple of nice 6 point bulls from her kitchen window over the years.

The client on a time schedule vs. rancher on his own land, HUGE difference. Bad shot angle? There is always next week for the local, not so much for a 5 or 7 days for $$$$$ out of stater.

Then again, as a former guide, I'd rather have someone who could actually shoot a 243 than some guy that has to ask me to sight in his 338 Win Mag because it scares the crap out of him. Oh wait, that did happen! The nice lady with the 243 when home with a nice trophy the 338 missed all his shots. He gave me the rifle as a "tip". Sold it, I think it had bad JUJU, never really had much luck when I carried it.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
1) Finn felt responsible to inform shooters of what gives the average hunter a safety margin, WORST conditions and bullets.

2) Don't believe Finn ever used the current crop of bullets, 95BT, Barnes, Swifts, etc.

3) I had a 338/06 built for elk, but took a few deer early on just b/c....first one was while hunting a new lease, new stand, on opening a.m. had never hunted this land, had no feel for depth perception....

Shot a deer which I thought was a large doe at 70 yds, turned out to be a button buck at 35-40 yds...deer weighed 55lbs...double lunged via 200gr 2910 mv....deer ran towards me and turned - I saw blood pumping the size of a silver dollar.

Deer ran about 100 yds!

Was the 338/06 and 200 BT not enough gun for the 55lb deer? NO. It later dumped 2 Large bucks one in tracks, the other w/in 3 jumps.

My LONGEST deer kill was a 6BR, 105 Amax, double lunged at 400 yds, 2850 mv...deer struggled hard to make it 25 yds.....

Maybe you guys are shooting TOO large a cartridge on deer, inc. the 243 stir

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always like it when 'gun gurus' say the 243 is an 'expert's cartridge'....

I own a batch of them, and make them work out quite well for me...

therefore by deduction I can conclude I am an..... Big Grin

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure glad i moved on up, from my .243 to my 240Wby.!!!

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote