Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.17 Remington Barrels
 Login/Join

posted
Looking into buying a new barrel for my 700 BDL in 17 Remington with a factory contour, preferably stainless. Is there any one barrel that you recommend for this caliber? I see alot of guys using, PAC NOR, Douglas, Hart etc... I plan on shooting higher weight bullets 26 gr and up, whats the recommended twist rate and barrel length? Any info will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Cat, the other white meat.

Posts: 10 | Location: Southwest PA and Honolulu HI | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had 2 Shilens in that bore size that were excellent shooters. Shilens web site has excellent advice on twist rate.

knobmtn

Posts: 221 | Location: central Pa. | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure all the makers you mentioned do well, I'd also throw Lilga into the mix. My personal favorite is Pac-Nor and I'll tell you why. Less money, they make a 3 groove that after using one in a .20 is all I'll ever use again if I have a choice, and they are great folks.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks alot guys. I was really leaning toward a Pac-Nor from the start. Just thought I'd get some opinions. Thanks again.

Cat, the other white meat.

Posts: 10 | Location: Southwest PA and Honolulu HI | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Pac-nor 3 groove in 17 Mach IV and love it, haven't tried any other makers though. I think a 1:9 twist is what you're after.

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to barrels, everyone has their favorites.
I use Shilen, all I have ever used is Shilen and all I ever will use is Shilen.

If you have an inkling to use Pac-Nor, don't bother asking others, go out and buy a Pac-Nor and be done with it.

-Spencer