THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    in the market for a 22 Hornet
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

in the market for a 22 Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
VApodog
Guns International has a Savage 219 single shot in 22 Hornet for sale with scope and mounts..Its a neat little gun. $449 is the asking price..I have one in a 30-30 and they are accurate little fun guns..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnly:
I wouldn't write off the Ruger 77/22 hornets out of hand. I have 4 of them, two sporter and two HB, one of which has been set back and rechambered to 22K. One of the sporters is a solid 1 MOA shooter with 35 gr. Vmax bullets and 2400. The rifle that has been worked over is a 1/2 MOA shooter out to 200 yds using the 40 gr. Nosler VG bullet and WW296 at 3150 fps at the muzzle. The other two rifles are about 1.5MOA shooters, and are still projects waiting for their day.
I really like my CZ527, but the Hornet magazine length is so short that the start of the ogive in near the case mouth. Before I opted for a CZ527 in 22 Hornet, I'l look and see if I could find a 527 in 221 Fireball.

The CZ magazine takes all of 5 minutes to lengthen. Super easy. Mine is long enough to seat Hornady 50 gr SPSX's. But yeah, I'd love to find one in 221 FB.

Would you walk us through the right way to lengthen the magazine in a CZ 527 .22 Hornet? Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Savage 219 single shot in 22 Hornet

For a break open single shot I personally like the TC Contender. The size is about right and there are a lot of other barrel options that makes it fun to play with.

I like Hornets, but if I could do it over again I'd go with this from the start:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6521043/m/3131076242

I wrote that up in part due to this thread about Hornets. Anyway, that thread is about a wildcat that ticks a lot of boxes for me and has some advantages over the Hornet in my opinion. The big one for me is the magazines, because that seems to be a problem for the Hornet. Most Hornets are single shot or if they do have a magazine it only fits a few rounds with stubby bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I, at one time, played with small wildcats, but the 222 Rem pretty well voided all my efforts in my search for perfection, it just suits me too well to try and find anything better..I have a 22 HOrnet but Im enarmored with the gun not the caliber so much, but its a fun caliber.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I like about the Hornet verses a loaded down .222 or .223 Remington is that I can neck size the Hornet so I do not have to clean case lube off the cases. It is a factor when loading for high volume varmints such ground squirrels. I learned this from John Barsness.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hornets a fun gun IMO, Idaho is too windy in the Snake River Canyon for the 22's IMO, especially the Hornet, but in the pastures on top its tops out to 200 yards maybe but even at a 100 yards and a breeze it can move an inch or two so you always need to allow for that. Im still a avid 222 fan..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120