THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Range Report Savage 40 22 Hornet

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Report Savage 40 22 Hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally, after owning the gun for 2 months, I shot my Savage Model 40. This was my first experience with a Hornet, and I am hooked. It was pleasant to shoot, the barrel only sort of became warm a couple of times, and the accuracy potential is there.

The weather was pretty nice—high 60s, 5 mph or so wind with occasional gusts faster but blowing the direction I was shooting, clear. I had a box of Remington 45 gr PSP and Winchester 46 gr HP. I had wanted to try the Hornady 35 gr V-Max, but the local shop was out.

The gun is not the model featured on the Savage website. Rather, it has a nutmeg thumbhole laminate stock, which is quite comfortable and fits me well. The Accutrigger was light and actually semi-crisp. (The two previous Accutrigger equipped rifles I have owned have felt a bit mushy.) I did not adjust it before shooting. I mounted a Simmons 6.5-20x50 scope, which is a regular sale item from Midwayusa. Simmons scope This scope is actually quite clear and not a bad scope at all. I was pleased with it for the price as it actually seems better than scopes I have had costing a good bit more. I boresighted it before traveling to the range, and shot all groups at 12x with a Harris Bipod.

The results were interesting. The first three shots were off the paper but eyeballed about an inch. After a scope adjustment, I then shot the following groups at 100 yards, which are measured center-to-center. I mixed up the shooting of the groups---a couple of Remington, then a couple Winchester and back and forth.

Remington
1 1.12
2 1.66
3 3.51
4 1.52
5 3.26
6 1.05
7 1.68
Average: 1.97

Winchester
1 1.65
2 0.99
3 1.17
4 0.95
5 0.29
6 1.31
7 0.51
Average: .98

No cleaning between groups. I did not do a barrel break in. I just don't get excited about that and don't have the patience for it. When I cleaned at the end of the session, there was minimal copper fouling.

Obviously, the Winchester ammo has some potential. The Remington didn't do nearly as well and was noteworthy for another reason. The point of impact of these groups shifted dramatically compared to the point of aim. The centers of the groups varied from as much as 1.5" right of the point of aim to 1.5" high and left with one below the point of aim.

I'm not sure what to make of the shifting point of impact. This was NOT observed with the Winchester, which was remarkably consistent in this regard. I thought it might be the scope but since the problem was confined to the Winchester, this is likely not the case.

The big brown toy delivery truck is on the way with brass and dies so that I can start reloading for it. Hodgdon Lil Gun will be the first powder with the following bullets:

Hornady 35 gr VMax, 45 gr Hornet, 50 gr SPSX
Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenade
Sierra 40 gr Blitzking

I have some bigger .224 bullets but 50 grains is probably about it for the Hornet's case capacity, so I'm not planning on trying heavier bullets for the moment.

Any and all comments are welcome.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's got some potential. I think you will see some tighter groups with your handloads. 'Lil Gun has worked wonders for me in both the Hornet and the K version.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 77/22 Hornet sporter rifle. I love it. With a 40gr V-max and a near max load of Win 296 it's a great 250 yard woodchuck gun. I haven't been shooting it much in the last few years since I got the .204Ruger, but I'm going to start again this summer just because it's so cheap to reload. When I empty the jug of 296 that I have right now, I'll probably try the 'lil gun. Everyone seems to love the stuff. Good Luck, keep us posted.

Life's too short to carry a gun that you hate!

Posts: 46 | Location: In Pennsylvania, wishing for more Silhouette Matches and friendly, woodchuck hating, Farmers in the geographic center of the state. | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you start reloading for it, I would suggest using small pistol primers with Lilgun powder. Very high velocities and low pressures (according to Hodgdon). With 13.0gr Lilgun under a 45gr Barnes XLC, I'll get 2900+fps over my chrono.

Great little round!

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Even though that is a book published load I can't go above 10.2grs of Lil'gun with one lot that I have. So start carefully, there seems to be a lot of variation between lots. I'm using a K-Hornet and with 13grs behind 40gr bullets it will pierce WSR primers.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I have found the 55gr Hornady spire point and the 55gr Sierra blitz to be quite effective in my 1 in 16 twist Anshutz. I too have had shifting group centres. I suspect variations in wind as this only happens at the one range I go to. The listed max load of 13gr Lil'Gun can be increased - BUT - a slightly different loading technique is required. I load 13.9gr Lil'Gun behind the 55gr Hornady (not the Sierra) with the same pressure signs as I was getting with 13gr and with no case stretch. This load shoots quite a bit faster than the 13gr load. These are magazine fit loads.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem with my m40 and Rem ammo . I bought my rifle used with 6 boxes of Remington 45gr HP for $350. 1 box was just fired brass and the others were full. I guess the guy never tried any other ammo and just assumed the rifle would not shoot. 1.5" groups at 50 yds are not uncommon with this ammo in my gun. I havent tried anything else as I've only had it for about a week, but I'm hoping it'll tighten up with some different ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sburd:
Even though that is a book published load I can't go above 10.2grs of Lil'gun with one lot that I have. So start carefully, there seems to be a lot of variation between lots. I'm using a K-Hornet and with 13grs behind 40gr bullets it will pierce WSR primers.

I have had the same experience...START LOW WITH LIL'gun and work up in the Hornet! Smiler