THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Any of you guys seen reviews of Remington's XR100?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any of you guys seen reviews of Remington's XR100?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Posts: 350 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 30 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark98ut: I have not read any reviews of this Rifle but I have seen the pictures and read the specs! I am very interested in owning one of these Rifles. I was told spring would bring these to the retail outlets. We'll see!
I have always admired the XP-100 action that this Rifle is based on and the accuracy I have gotten with my customized XP-100 Rifle is simply wonderful!
The externally adjustable 40-X trigger will prevent anyone from needing to upgrade the trigger! I like the looks and feel of the stock as I got to handle one that is similar that was on a Remington 700 at a factory show in Missoula, Montana last fall.
I just can't decide which caliber to get it in!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those grey laminated stocks are not to my taste. Ruger may have started it and then Kimber and now Remington.

Rollover comb!

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. I'm trying to decide building a M700 or just buying the XR100. I'm sure in the long run it'd be cheaper to buy the XR100, but to me tinkering with guns (or cars, or boats, or whatever) is half the fun.

-Dan

Posts: 350 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 30 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Clark, I'm following along your line of thought on the 700 or the XR100. The XR100 seems to be the way to go with the trigger and action, but then I would prefer a HS precision stock over the thumbhole. Calibers, I'm split between the 22-250 or the 204.

posted Hide Post
I was just talking about that rifle yesterday. It definately has me thinking about picking one up. Why burn out my hunting rifles at the range anymore.

I would like to hear first hand from somebody who has used the Model 40X trigger first hand.

Posts: 4 | Location: Cariboo, B.C. | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
booner buck - with you question on a 40x trigger. it is probably the finest factory trigger ever. the standard one could be set to break at about 1# with no danger of sear disengagement . The optional one was a 2 oz.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any idea what they'll actually sell for? MSRP is $879, so I'm guessing in the high $600, low $700 range???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boonerbuck: I have owned many remington 40X Rifles over the years. I think I have 5 or 6 of them in my vault right now.
The 40X trigger has some improvements over the very similar (and very fine trigger in its own right!) M-700 trigger. One of the improvements is the trigger is externally adjustable or in other words does not have to be removed from the stock to be adjusted (as does the M-700). The 40x can be worked on while in the stock through the trigger guard.
Actually the 40X line has two triggers that are optional on most of the 40X models. There is a 2 ounce trigger option that has NO safety device (it is adjustable from 2 ounces to 6 ounces). The other 40X option trigger is the model with a safety lever and is adjustable down to rather low pull weights! I am a bit blurry as to what the minimums for this are but I think the minimum is in the 1 1/2 to 2 pound range.
These 40X triggers are not only crisp but extremely repeatable! I have a Schrader Trigger Pull Gauge and have used it for 20+ years now. These 40X triggers are the best factory triggers I have measured, for repeatability of pull weight.
I highly recommend them!
Unlike Savage99 I just love the design, color, the looks and the fit and feel of these new XR-100 style stocks!
To each their own I guess!
Of the three calibers this new Model will be offered in I am already pretty well covered in already!
I am still excited about this new Model though and may just jump on one when I see it in person, and in caliber 204 Ruger!
Good luck if you decide to try one!
I am sure you will be happy with the 40X style trigger - IF its the same as the 40X offerings I own and am familiar with!
Way to go BIG GREEN!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just noted that Butchbloc has a firm grip on the 40X trigger weight minimum - and I will defer to him in that regard. I am to lazy to go down and measure my 40X's right now. I will put it on my list of things to do.
I did muster up enough energy to check my loading log where I sometimes list trigger pull weights but none were noted on my 40X's in 222, 6x47, 22-250, 220 Swift, 243 nor on either of my 22 Remington BR's!
I do know that these triggers are seldom seen on the used trigger market and on those rare occassions when offered for sale bring a premium ($100.00+).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: I need a nap!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I feel better now after that nap!
The wind is still blowing to hard to do any shooting!
So I went down to the vault room and took my Schrader Trigger Gauge with me.
I only measured one of my 40XB's (single shot 243) and the trigger let off at 15 ounces - repeatedly! I had forgotten I had set it that low!
So for those vintage 40X's I have had it set for many years at that weight. It has proven safe in that rifle but I am not advocating other 40X's be set that low.
A quick inquiry to the factory would certainly come up quickly with their recommendation!
Back to reloading now!!!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
HAMMER FORGED BARREL???????????
CRAP!
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
allright allright you just had to show me this. now I'm compelled to try one out just because I only have one 204.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got home this evening after a wasted trip to look at a limited edition Remington 700 with a thumbhole stock. I had hoped this would be close to the XR100 (OOPS! It will be here tomorrow) I have been busy trying to find out when the XR is coming out , how much, etc. It sounds like $650 range and they will be out within the next 30 to 45 days. The gun store I deal with the most is going to order one in and HOPEFULLY it will be in 204. I am supposed to have first right of refusal unless someone walks in with cash Frowner. The owner is quite the varmint and bench shooter. I have decided that this will be the next addition to the arsenal jump.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle sounds like a real winner to me. However, being a southpaw leaves me out in the cold unless they decide to make it with left handed stocks. Remington seems to have made quite a few changes this year. I notice the ADL model is gone, and I would suspect the BDL will be the next one to bite the dust. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from a trip to Arizona and did some Gunshops on the way to and fro. I did pick up a new 2,005 Remington catalog and the specs on the XR-100 Rifle included the trigger pull range of adjustability! The range of adjustability is from 3 1/2 pounds (56 ounces) down to 1 1/2 pounds (24 ounces!). I am in the mood for one of these XR-100's but it is only offered in calibers I am already well represented with!
At one of the shops I perused a Remington 700 Varminter that was on the rack with this same stock. Now I have seen and studied this similar stock previously and it fits me nicely but on this trip this Rifle with the thumbhole stock had a nifty Leupold high power variable mounted on it.
Again my feelings were positive and the fit and feel of this stock/scope/Rifle combo and its smooth and well contoured thumbhole stock turned me on (so to speak!)!
Cal Sibley I feel bad that your left handidness will hold you back on this offering but I am going to suggest you buy one anyway! Then sell me (or someone else) the stock! Then go ahead and have it stocked up with a stock that fits you even though you will still have to reach over to work the action! I am sure you have that move mastered by now anyway!
This single shot action mated with the 40X trigger and Remington proven barrels (and the 26" length) should prove to be a winner!
At least I am tending to expect this XR-100 to be an accurate and reliable Varminter with clean lines!
I already have $250.00 of mad money stashed away for the time when these Rifles hit the market! No one that I talked to made a guess as to when they are due out OR how much they would cost!
Only one of the many Gunshops I went to had the new Remington calendars by the way! If you see one grab it and look this new offering over!
Long live Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been looking for the XR100 as well and today I found an interesting Remington 700. It has the same Boyd's stock as the XR only in brown finish, with a stainless steel action and barrell. The finish on the stainless was a little different too. It was a little more like Ruger's finish. I was told it was a special edition model, hmmmmm..... damn fine looking rig.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
When I read the first few lines of the description, I was thinking Oh geez, what a rip-off this will be... But wow! Single-shot action, nice trigger, nice price. Hammer forged barrel? Eh, not crazy about that. But hey, with a street price in the 650 dollar range, it doesn't look like a bad deal at all. I mean gee, I bought a stainless 700 4 years ago for I think 70 bucks less......then stuck a single-shot follower in the mag well.

Cool!

Posts: 7485 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote