Find
Notify
Tools

for the Savage shooters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted
Up until a few days I had a model 10FLP in .223 that I loved to shoot and hated to look at. I had been considering buying a new stock for it since the day it came home from the gun shop. Well, the other day an opportunity came up to sell the rifle for what it cost new and since I had been considering upgrading it to the model 10FLCP since they came out I went for it. The new rifle is due in any day now so, I guess what am looking for is someone to tell me that the new accustock is at least a little bit better looking than the old one. I'm also looking forward to the new features on the FLCP and would like to hear about some experiences with it.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I only have one Savage. It is a 223 Precision Carbine with an accustock. I have nothing to compare but I like the accustock and the rifle. It shoots everything I feed it under 1 moa and most loads .5 moa.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Friends don't let friends post drunk.

Scottie

shocker

yuck

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sam308:
Up until a few days I had a model 10FLP in .223 that I loved to shoot and hated to look at. I had been considering buying a new stock for it since the day it came home from the gun shop. Well, the other day an opportunity came up to sell the rifle for what it cost new and since I had been considering upgrading it to the model 10FLCP since they came out I went for it. The new rifle is due in any day now so, I guess what am looking for is someone to tell me that the new accustock is at least a little bit better looking than the old one. I'm also looking forward to the new features on the FLCP and would like to hear about some experiences with it.

I'm not sure what the stock looked like on your 10FLP, but I do know the "Accu" stock functions extremely well and to me, looks like any other "tactical" stock. Mine is black. You can acid dye the stock to look like whatever you want. Again I'm not sure what features the FLP has/had but you can (as I'm sure you have) check out the specs at Savage for the 10FLCP. I have 5 of these rifles. (1) converted to 6.5X284 with a Shilen select match grade 26" BBL. (2) in .308 original (1) 260 Rem. with a Shilen 26" select match grade BBL. And (1) .223 original. The original's shoot like any other Savage which is better than any other "out of the box" rifle. With the custom work and Shilen BBL's these rifles are frightening and have put many ribbons on my wall when competing in "1-out" tactical competitions. I even use my .260 with picatiny/Kensights for Service match (not service rifle) and have walked with "blue".

Other than being ridiculously accurate right out of the box, re-builds on Savage rifles yield world class match, tactical and hunting rifles with their actions, bolts, stocks etc,. For me, wearing out a barrel is a "bitter sweet" event.... tu2

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey WhatThe,
My buddy is buying this one. What do you think?

Model: 110 Predator Hunter Max 1
Series: Specialty AccuTrigger: Yes
Sights: Drilled and tapped for scope mounts AccuStock : Yes
Magazine: Detachable box Stock material: Synthetic
Barrel material: Carbon Steel Stock finish: Matte
Barrel finish: Matte Stock color: Camo
Barrel color: Camo Action: Long
Handed: Right

Available chamberings:
SKU Caliber: Rate of
Twist: Length*: Weight*: Ammo
Cap.: MSRP**:
Barrel: Overall:
19131 6.5 x 284 NORMA 1 in 8" 24" 44" 8.9 lbs 4 $889.00

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
Hey WhatThe,
My buddy is buying this one. What do you think?

Model: 110 Predator Hunter Max 1
Series: Specialty AccuTrigger: Yes
Sights: Drilled and tapped for scope mounts AccuStock : Yes
Magazine: Detachable box Stock material: Synthetic
Barrel material: Carbon Steel Stock finish: Matte
Barrel finish: Matte Stock color: Camo
Barrel color: Camo Action: Long
Handed: Right

Available chamberings:
SKU Caliber: Rate of
Twist: Length*: Weight*: Ammo
Cap.: MSRP**:
Barrel: Overall:
19131 6.5 x 284 NORMA 1 in 8" 24" 44" 8.9 lbs 4 $889.00

There is NO varmint rifle that can even come close to the 110 VPM1's out-of-the box accuracy shooting the 6.5X284 NM. In fact, most custom varmint rifles can't keep up either! One thing that is critical and key to Savage's incredible accuracy, is proper barrel break-in! DO IT RIGHT and print sub moa every day. Even with small varmints, stick with the heavy bullets 142 Gr. etc., and even though they say not to, you can use match bullets on varmints, they kill just fine and are unmatched in accuracy!

A Savage heavy CM 60 degree button pulled 24" 1:8 barrel in 6.5...Whooooaaaa! Right loads= 3" @ 600 yards!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a custom built 223 AI using a Savage single shot action.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
What kind of BBL do you have?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Scottindallas--get you some 55 grain Corelockts or Winchester ammo and shoot a deer with that .223. Even a Savage will do the trick.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Hey Scottindallas--get you some 55 grain Corelockts or Winchester ammo and shoot a deer with that .223. Even a Savage will do the trick.

I knew that was coming Wink. I do have so 60 partitions and 62 TSXs.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those 60's and 62's probably work---not needed. An almost quarter inch hole--much larger after expansion--through the vitals not work????

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WhatThe:

I always hear of the Ugliness of Savage rifles.

What is ugly about this one? Looks nice to me!

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
quote:
Originally posted by WhatThe:

I always hear of the Ugliness of Savage rifles.

What is ugly about this one? Looks nice to me!

Or these too?

I think a few folks get a little greased when they paid hundreds more for a less accurate rifle and look for something like looks to knock? Could any thing be worse than spending hundreds on a less accurate rifle that has nothing on looks as well?.. Confused

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
I like my new Savage, its a 17HMR and the best shooting rimfire I ever owned.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
What's the story with the new smooth barrel nut? Will a strap wrench turn it loose or is there a specific tool?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
What's the story with the new smooth barrel nut? Will a strap wrench turn it loose or is there a specific tool?

You use the "smooth barrel nut wrench"....

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
My issue w/ Savage is the F'ed up bolt!! I went w/ a CZ527 Varminter and I dare you to show my how the savage shoots better. The Savage 10 and 25 were both more $$$. Do I own a Savage?? Yes, 1. Out of 20 rifles. Wish I could find an M44 on the cheap.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I've been building and shooting Savages since the early 60's...never could see what set people off when it comes to that barrel nut considering some of the garbage....un..."stuff" people hang off shooters and call it pretty cool.

I think some of todays godawful garbage to hang on AR-15's turns them into something the devil himself wouldn't have in He**, but they sure do the job and I loved every one I've ever had.

So what's the problem...

I've lathe turned and milled several different shaped nuts including smooth one's with a flat milled or hole drilled on the bottom, then made a "wrench" to fit...used a smooth jawed nut wrench, looks like a pipe wrench with smooth jaws used in the oil patch, some with flats milled on the sides to match Ruger receivers. There's lots of ways to ride this swayback.

I sure like all the innovations that have arrived the past several years...now I don't have to screw with after market triggers or modify/make stocks or do any of the other major/minor mods just to make an already excellent rifle even better...

I DO like to hang larger, longer, different shaped and different metal bolt handles on...I made a jig just to hold the bolt in my lathe while I rethread it to 5/16x28tpi...plenty of knobs on the net to choose from also. Have several in aluminum, brass, steel...might try some with different type hardwoods, maybe with inlays...too long a todo list to ever get done. Frowner Big Grin

Some people think a Ferrari is the most beautiful thing in the world and some think a VW bug is just that. I like AC Cobras, TR-3's and XK Jags, Auston Healeys and Lotus Elite, Alfa Romeo Spyder's and think late model Corvettes are so ugly they should be burned at the stake, but give me a '62 Corvette and I'll kiss just about whatever you want...so what?

Whether everyone likes it or not, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Personnally, I don't care WHAT it looks like as long as it shoots small groups...and YOUR sense of beauty SUCKS...lol Big Grin shocker

I only tighten barrel nuts to 50 ft lbs with a torque wrench so their not hard to get off once you broke OEM lockups. Never had a barrel unscrew or loose headspace yet, nor have any I've built for relatives.

It's YOUR toy, who cares what someone else thinks about it.

Where's the LUV? Big Grin Big Grin

Anyone who thinks jail is fun has never worked in one, stayed in one for any length of time or is totally oblivious to the facts of life...or.....and friends like that YOU can keep.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can get the 110 Predator Hunter MAX 1 in 6.5-284 for $775

Not sure if I want it or spend the extra money for the Long Range Hunter.

I am not a big fan of detachable mags in a hunting rifle. Sounds like it is about as good of a shooter as the LRH though.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Nelson:
I can get the 110 Predator Hunter MAX 1 in 6.5-284 for $775

Not sure if I want it or spend the extra money for the Long Range Hunter.

I am not a big fan of detachable mags in a hunting rifle. Sounds like it is about as good of a shooter as the LRH though.

It's your choice, you have to deal with what-ever you choose. Just wanted to tell you that it is available. And with that, it is also ridiculously accurate and IMO, you will be happier than a pig in a giant steaming pile of poop.

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jpat:
My issue w/ Savage is the F'ed up bolt!! I went w/ a CZ527 Varminter and I dare you to show my how the savage shoots better. The Savage 10 and 25 were both more $$$. Do I own a Savage?? Yes, 1. Out of 20 rifles. Wish I could find an M44 on the cheap.

I don't know if the Savage will "shoot better" but it will shoot much more accurately! That's not even debatable, it's been done. It (CZ) may shoot other parameters better i.e., smoother recoil, lighter lift, better pull, fit etc.. These issues were not tested. As I have posted in the past, your dare is a 5 shot group at 600 yards (F) class style using the same caliber "unmodified" out of the box rifle for $2500.00. Both loser/winner agree to split any travel costs regardless of outcome. Sound good? Let's do it! Would love to travel, all my comps have been local with the exception of one. Got to drive to WA to take on a range master and compete the next day in service rifle. Stopped in Reno on my way back and almost doubled my money, then to Las Vegas where I lost everything and had to charge my way home..Frowner

I believe the model CZ Varmint rifle you are talking about is in .223 (hammer forged 24" barrel 1:9), I'll be using Savage's 12 VLP DBM varmint rifle in .223 (26" stainless button pulled 1:7).

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I don't have any issues with barrel nuts, smooth or not. I was just wondering if the change was for looks or if the new one was a "lawyer nut".

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote