THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: varmit rifle which cal????

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: varmit rifle which cal????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If it were me, I'd opt for the .243 AI. Download it with 55-70gr bullets for the small stuff and use it for double duty on deer with 90-100gr bullets. Versatility is the name of the game. But thats just me.-Mike

Posts: 52 | Location: Pierce County Washington | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't bother you to have something a little more difficult to deal with (not much but a little) I'd go for the .22BR. My rifle has a 26" barrel and my working load runs 3650fps with 53's and I've had it to 3850fps without excessive pressure using AA2520. It's an incredibly accurate round. My second choice would be a .223WSSM just cuz I like short fat cartridges as well as the underdog in popularity.

Posts: 179 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Craig22
posted Hide Post
I personally use a 22-250 for my varmit hunting, but if I was looking for another rifle, it would be the Ruger .204

Posts: 15 | Location: Central Pa. | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote