New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 Hornet for deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RC, pretty sharp. You picked right up on the fact that my little true but pointless tale was intended to pull a few overly pious legs. Big Grin Was it the little dancing sunball, the tongue-in-cheek phrasology, or the explicit note that it was "an example of one" which statically would mean nothing that tipped you off? Big Grin
FYI When Miz Crawford was killing her deer, the .22LR was illegal in TN. As was the Hornet. To cite a poacher with a jack light and a Hornet as validation of it's effectiveness on deer is no different than my example of one. At least Miz Crawford kilt her deer under sporting circumstances.
FWIW, a lot of poachers use .22LR also. That still don't make it a deer round.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
Hey WhatThe!

wasbeeman's post is meant to show the absurdity of it all...he's joking.[/QUOTE]

I'm always the butt of the joke!moon Sad thing is some morons do take to the field with sling-shots. You must have picked up on my "extra circular activity" comment? I love when someone says "I just happened to have". Truth is they were varmint hunting and a deer "just happened to appear".

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Uncle killed a huge 5 pt Black Tail (Western Count, 5 on each side) with a 14" Crescent wrench one time. It was tangled up in a cattle fence and was beyond help when he found it.

That doesn't mean that I would recommend hunting with one, no place for a scope and they don't group fer shit...

"Isn't it pretty to think so."

Posts: 148 | Location: Cascade Foot Hills | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

I think he was considerably over-wrenched there. As everybody KNOWS, folks that swing those big wrenches flinch and 'sides, the wrench tears up too much meat.
A 6" Crescent is all you need and my grandpaw killed all of his deer with a 3" Crescent that he carried on his keychain. All of them one swing DRT. stir

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Uncle killed a huge 5 pt Black Tail (Western Count, 5 on each side) with a 14" Crescent wrench one time.

That's pretty good! But...I don't know if this is true or not, but I've been told this story since I was the greenhorn in the hunting camp some 30 years ago. So here we go. One of the older fellows in the group that served in WW II with my grandfather (George Hansen) was hunting Elk where he lived in NE Oregon (Snake river, Hell's Canyon) a top a horse as most of them did except the p'on's like me. In any event, he took a chance shot at a nice Elk some 250 yards away on top of a step hill in which they had been working up all morning. The Elk went down and was in sight. After discussing their retrieval plans it was agreed that it would best for George to dismount and hike up to where the Elk was due to the danger of the loose shale while his partner worked around the other side to meet up with him on top. George arrived where he downed the Elk and drew his knife to begin field dressing. This is where it gets good. The Elk was in a precarious position in that; it fell straight down as if it were bedded. So George put one leg over the Elks back (kinda like mounting a horse) in a straddling position grabbing the horns to pull the head back to bleed him out. Just then the Elk came back to life getting up immediately and dashing off with George atop his back! George said he held on to the horns for dear life as each gallop threw him towards them threatening to gorge him. He wanted to bail but the Elk pursued a dangerous path that would have caused sever injury. After about a 2 minute ride the Elk changed course and headed straight down the other side of the hill where George said he simply couldn't hold on any longer and decided to bail off. He bailed off the right side of the Elk landing in loose shale where he tumbled and slid about 400 feet to a wash that flattened out to break his free fall. He slowly got up and noticed two other hunters in which he didn't know standing there staring at him in complete silence while he was dusting himself off. He picked up his knife, padded himself a bit more then stared at his knife for about 20 seconds. He then looked up at the other two hunters that were still silent and said while glancing at his knife "ya know, one of these days I'm going to have to break down and buy a gun"!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping True or untrue, funny as heck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Who cares if it's true.
Who knows, I get a couple of shots of snake killer in me and it might of happened to me in Wyoming and I've still got the knife to prove it. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for Hot Bore...

try 6.5 grains of Blue Dot with a 45 grain Barnes X bullet...

I hear of folks in the Carolinas who use that combo to poach THOUSANDS of deer each year... shocker

BOOM...... horse

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Just for Hot Bore...

I hear of folks in the Carolinas who use that combo to poach THOUSANDS of deer each year... shocker

BOOM...... horse

You're from SO. Oregon? Have you ever hunted in the Ochoco's? I know it might be a little further north (Central OR). But if you have, is it worth a darn anymore?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is.. but nothing in Oregon is as good as it was when I moved here in 1995.

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a few guys down here that use a Hornet for culling antelope at night. Close range brain shots only.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it is.. but nothing in Oregon is as good as it was when I moved here in 1995.

Tell me about it! I've been hunting in Oregon for about 30 years. Now I have to work to bring it home! When I first started hunting there, there were 2 tags Western Oregon and Eastern Oregon and that was it! No drawings, restrictions nada! The Eastern season opened Oct 2nd. and went on for 3 weeks and pheasant opened on the 4th. so we usually got our deer the first day or two then bagged our limit on pheasant for a few days while pulling trout from the Imnaha. Those days are gone. But I still have yet to be skunked! It just takes more work and the pheasant hunting is out!

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Hi all. I've been away a while.

Not to promote the hornet for anything but I did get mine to perform superbly on feral goat using 55gr Hornady spire points at around 2700 something plus fps. (Feral goats are not very big!) That same load was also superb on rabit, hare, turkey and magpies (a pest in my parts). I wouldn't dream of shooting a deer with it. (I found other ways of assessing its relative effectiveness on deer, just out of curiosity - it couldn't even kill a downed and otherwise dying red deer with a back of the head shot - missed the brain. A between the eyes shot worked just fine).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If one is going to shoot deer, one should buy a rifle capable of making clean kills for deer. A 22 hornet is not a capable deer rifle.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wistrapper:
If one is going to shoot deer, one should buy a rifle capable of making clean kills for deer. A 22 hornet is not a capable deer rifle.

That's incorrect. A number of hunters hear have used it effectively on deer size game.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys there are some dear not much bigger than a dog. First it was everyone thought they had to have at least a 7mm mag for whitetail deer and now that those folks have been completely chastised for using too big of a gun, some folks think they need to go to the other end of the spectrum, to prove what marksmen they are. If I were hunting deer that were not much bigger than a fawn around here, I think I may move down from what I shoot to a .222 or .223, but for me, where I hunt, I kind of see a .243 as the lower end for my taste.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just for Hot Bore...

BOOM...... horse

LMAO!!!!!! I knew it would come up! jumping yuck

Posts: 155 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddy gutshot a fallow with his 6.5x55. An hour later I found it sitting under a hedge and shot it in the head with my .22 k hornet/45 gr soft point.
So obviously the hornet is better for deer than the 6.5 dancing

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Gun Store Owner, here in Ky, used a Winchester Model 43 in .218 Bee this past season and harvested a Deer with it. His son also got his buck with the Bee too. I wouldn't use either the Hornet or Bee for Deer sized game.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRS:
A Gun Store Owner, here in Ky, used a Winchester Model 43 in .218 Bee this past season and harvested a Deer with it. His son also got his buck with the Bee too. I wouldn't use either the Hornet or Bee for Deer sized game.
I bought a win mod 43 in 218bee in the late 70' that had been confiscated by DNR from a plantation deer poacher, It was my work gun on a 12500 ac cattle ranch,plantation in N FL . It never failed me and has mercy killed cancer eyed ,1800# hereford bulls in one shot( all brain shots) same with truck load of cows,gators,coyotes,wild dogs,wild hogs, beaver,otter,coons, possums,armadillos,rattlesnakes,turkeys etc. I do not consider it a whitetail caliber period! I do not doubt that I could sit in a box stand over a 1/2 acre food plot and kill any deer that walked in but the Hornet nor Bee are varmint calibers not deer hunting rounds.This poor mans mod 70 is my all time favorite centerfire due the fun and joy it gave me for 7 years of service.It still wears the old 2x7 Leupold I mounted when I bought it and Im still shooting ole yellow box super X's in her from time to time.

Posts: 129 | Location: SW GA | Registered: 01 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winchester poor:
I bought a win mod 43 in 218bee in the late 70' that had been confiscated by DNR from a plantation deer poacher, It was my work gun on a 12500 ac cattle ranch,plantation in N FL . It never failed me and has mercy killed cancer eyed ,1800# hereford bulls in one shot( all brain shots) same with truck load of cows,gators,coyotes,wild dogs,wild hogs, beaver,otter,coons, possums,armadillos,rattlesnakes,turkeys etc. I do not consider it a whitetail caliber period! I do not doubt that I could sit in a box stand over a 1/2 acre food plot and kill any deer that walked in but the Hornet nor Bee are varmint calibers not deer hunting rounds.This poor mans mod 70 is my all time favorite centerfire due the fun and joy it gave me for 7 years of service.It still wears the old 2x7 Leupold I mounted when I bought it and Im still shooting ole yellow box super X's in her from time to time.

I own an old Winchester Model 43 in .25-20 Win. Also had a couple of them in .218 Bee & one in .32-20 Win. Never could find one in .22 Hornet though. I used my .25-20 for hunting Squirrels, Woodchucks, and shot my first Coyote with it years ago. Great rifle & cartridge when used on the right sized game.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The best way to shoot a deer with a 22 Hornet is to build the proper load.

You start with a rifle chambered in .35 Whelen. Next, drop 50 grains of your favorite powder into a primed Whelen case. Then, top it off with a factory 22 Hornet cartridge. The base of the Hornet cartridge will just fit into the Whelen neck.

When you shoot the 22 Hornet, it will zoom out of the 35 Whelen barrel; Hornet case, primer, and bullet all intact. The projectile, weighing 130 grains (bullet:50grs + powder:20grs + case:60grs), will have enough energy to deliver over 1000 ft pounds at the muzzle. That should be more than enough for a silly little deer.

Unfortunately, using the above procedure, the 22 Hornet cartridge may break up on impact with the deer and powder might become loose in the wound channel(s) causing tainting of some meat. It is for this reason that the 22 Hornet is best used to shoot varmints and other animals that will not be consumed.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Last season, my hunting buddy and i caught a couple of poachers on our deer property, they were carrying out a decent sized red stag...when i looked at their rifle i was even more pissed off ...it was a 22magnum.

Posts: 69 | Location: Sydney | Registered: 14 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you use a .22 Hornet for deer, it should be the .22 SGH which is the .22 Super Green Hornet, a wildcat cartridge made by necking the .50 BMG case to .22 and shooting a 47 grain bullet. If you keep the muzzle velocity up around 6,000 fps, .22 caliber bullets of most any wieght seem to work on most deer. Any thing with a MV of less than 5,000 fps is often a little 'iffy' when it comes to deer

Deer hunting is quite often a one shot proposition, why not shoot something you can feel when you pull the trigger.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is legal in Maine and South Carolina to use the .22mag rimfire for deer.

Info from those who have used it successfully say to go for head shots at close range, or use a bowhunters mindset and shoot for lungs, and give the deer 1/2 - one full hour or more before tracking. The reaction of the deer is a drop with the head shot, or a 60-80 yd run to the closest cover with lung shots. If the deer isn't pushed, it won't get up on its own accord with a hole in it's lungs.

Whether that is ethical enough or not is up to the hunter, but in those two states atleast, it is legal.

In my home state of MO, the only cartridge restriction is that it must be a centerfire, or muzzleloader over .40 cal. The .22 hornet, along with the .17 cals would be legal to use. Hunter intellegence is supposed to play a role in deciding on the weapon to be used.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The right size deer for the Hornet:

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the hornet is "legal" in texas .. for all "big game" .. as its centerfire .. but the 22WMR isn't ... i haven't seen one HUNTER use it, though I hear plenty of poachers use both of the above

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just for Hot BSore...

BOOM...... horse

LMAO ..
does it work if you brainshoot them? Hotsore says offhand shooting them in the rump is ethical, too!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wrote about this many years back and got my ass handed to me. Anyway...

Helped the local Warden shoot forty plus muley does and fawns that were ruining a Ranchers hay mounds. It had been a drought summer, hay was scarce and the winter had turned cold and snowpacked. So the F&G decided to cull quite a few of these "problem" deer from a few area Ranches.

I went along to help spot and shoot.

The ranges ran 50 to 60 yds max. We knew where each gun shot at any yardage, etc. He shot a .22 Hornet an ancient M-70. And I had a .222 Sako with light "gopher" loads. Sierra 50 gr slugs at no more than 2500 fps.

Every deer was shot in the head from a rest and EVERY deer dropped on the spot. 90% were shot with his Hornet. I only shot four or five with my triple deuce.

Wait for the right angle, at a close enough range and the little stuff surely works. CAN You wait for the right angle? Can You place it perfectly? Thats the issue with small stuff for big game.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:

Just for Hot BSore...

BOOM...... horse

LMAO ..
does it work if you brainshoot them? Hotsore says offhand shooting them in the rump is ethical, too!

So if I understand you correctly...

you are saying an A Hole homer advocates shooting them in the A Hole? bewildered

animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll take the opposing view. It's the hunters responsability to know the limits of his weapon and his own ability. I'd hunt deer with a 22 hornet and limit myself appropriately, just like I won't launch an arrow at a deer at 110 yards.....because I just might hit it. I'm working on accumulating parts for a 223ai build that I plan to shoot 75 amax's out of, I'll take it deer hunting and be comfortable with the round at any normal hunting distances. I learned the hard way that a poorly placed shot from my 7mm rem mag is no more effective than a poorly placed shot from any other caliber. There are lots of guys that shoot the 223 remington for deer here in the south.

Posts: 71 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it is the first of June..

Hot Bore must have slain about 250 deer so far this season with his trust 22 Hornet and his deadly Blue Dot load out of his rare Model 70 in 22 Hornet...

well 250 counting a few of the neighbors dogs he counted as Bucks...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a Kimber 223 and in discussions with a friend I learned that they recently changed the rules .Here in NY state you now can hunt deer with any centerfired handgun or rifle. Well my rifle is not for deer though at least now there are some bullets specifically designed for deer rather than 'chucks.
Of course NY used to be a model for wildlife management but that's no longer the case .In fact in my county there are few deer left because of their policies.
There's a difference between 'possible' and 'appropriate' ! thumbdown