New
Find
Notify
Tools

100gn ttsx 257 Rob group
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the next step to try to get rid of that stringing?

The group before this one was 48grn Re19, and it went 1.8" triangle, so faster was quite a bit better.

Should I try a different primer? Push back seating depth? Scrap that load and start with a different powder?

Rifle is a Ruger m77, long action.

This is my first year reloading, so any tips would be great. Thanks.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
with the TSX seat it deeper, all the way to about 3/4 up the last groove. Start there and work back out 3 shots at a time. Me I would switch to H4350 as well. On a good day my 2.815 mag box length kimber will shoot 3 100 grain TSX bullets into .6 inches, on good day I wear my glasses and only have two cups of coffee!

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alright, the deal is I have a 117grn load that is around .6", is there a reason to chase the ttsx 100grn load?

Would the gain in velocity, or the barnes bullet itself be enough of an advantage to go to lengths to get a better group than was posted above at 1.05"?

As a side note, I'm new to this and any tips on what stringing is trying to tell me would be appreciated. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see no point in working with the 100 grain TSX if you have a .576 inch group on a regular basis, not just a "my best group of the day" basis. If I had a box of the TSX bullets I would seat 3 of them deeper, 3 more deeper, maybe 12 more rounds over 46 grains of H4350, shoot it if it works fine, if not you have a good load!!

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i can tell you, but jimmy already did...

START at -.065 and work back to .075 ..

the ttsx is a great bullet, an turns a FINE deer rifle into a fine elk rifle..

but, if you aren't hunting elk, there's no really "good" reason, other than want to. And trust me, more things have been done by WANT TO than anything else ... except maybe the overriding want SOME

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jimmy and Jeff.

That rifle loves the 117grn hornady bullet, and I have had groups down to .3" with the factory loads in certain lot numbers. But yes, that was the best group of the day with me starting out reloading.

With the ttsx group being .3" tall and 1" across, it seemed to me that I was close to a great load. It almost looks like two groups of two, more than a 4 shot group.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed a bunch of deer with 120 speer hot cores and 117 sierra flat bases, I see no reason to switch to solid bullets. I will admitt that I hunt mostly with partations because we have big hogs on the farm and had a single failure on a 200# hog with a standard cup & core bullet.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Tom,

i've reread this a couple times, and can't figure out a way to say it nicer.. i am not TRYING to being a jerk, just being direct, and i AM saying it in a jocular tone

TSX aren't solids, they are monometals. Solids are non-expanding ..

a man can shoot what he chooses, 223, 257, front stuffing muzzle loader .. the question is how to improve the TTSX groups, not why

why use TTSX? Why use a jacketed bullet? why use a cast bullet? why use smokeless powder, why use an arrow, when a club works?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Some of us have no choice about using all copper bullets if we want to hunt legally. It would be nice to use factory loads with whatever we want but they don't all exist in coppers and we need to develop loads if we want them to shoot well. This is a great place to share information on that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave-t,
I have had this same problem, diffrent cases with several diffrent bullets. I found that the case was the culpret. Sort cases to the same headstamp and then be sure the necks are all trimmed to the same length. When I first started loading I was measuring re-sized cases and if they were under max case length I would not trim (time is money...wasted). After some frustration with switching components like powder & primer, and changing seating depths I finally focused on the case and bingo. Stringing will also occur frequently with lighter contour barrels as the heat increases. If you have the patience try the same loads leaving enough time between shots to allow the barrel to cool completely.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've used a lot of TSXs and found the seating depth to be the number 1 factor in preformance, I have a 257imp that loves the 100g TSX at about 50 off the lands, any closer and things go down hill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fella's. I appreciate the info.

I am going back to 48.5grn Re19, but set back farther off the lands.

Will check case tlength while I'm at it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite load for the .257 roberts is 46 grains of H-414 behind a 100 grain TSX.
My 20 inch ruger puts them into about .60 at 3140 fps.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am down to an OAL of 2.8 with the 100TSX, shorter is better but you have to approach it a bit at the time or you can go too short. Also they like to go fast. Wonder how fast mine are going with 47 grains of H4350 and a 22 inch barrel Roll Eyes