New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 270 Win. 110 gr bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Pecos45, There is only one God I beleave in.And my younger years have passed. I have been shooting 42 years.I just like to hear what other people have to say good, bad or what ever. The best to you.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JRO - Truth be known you probably know more about the 270 than I do. Most of my hunting partners over the years have used 270s with excellent results on EVERYTHING while I was always dabbling in 30, 25 and 22 calibers mostly.

I didn't join the 270 crowd till half a dozen years ago and wish now I had hooked up with it sooner. I'm not worried about your success with this legendary cartridge. I'd just like to see you get the maximum amount of meat for your trouble. Of course head and necks aren't my favorite pieces anyway.

Let us know how you do and good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I know what you meant but over 200 hogs head-shot is not armchair bullshit. Add to that three out five deer head/neck-shot over the last 25 years (as opposed to the never-popular jaw-shot). It just takes practice and a little patience.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I just loaded 110gr Sierra bullets for my 270 Win. Sierra load book said that these will go 3300fps. I think they will do 3200 fps. Have these bullets been used on deer?

I am sure they have, they are still a poor choice. A high velocity bullets need some length to allow the front end to peel back and allow the shank to remain intact. If the bullet is too short it will still be mushrooming when it hits the base. If tht happens it fragments and penetration stops. It will create a vicious shallow wound.

You may have read stories about the old European 6.5 and 7mm cartridges having killing power all out or porportion for their size. This was because they used long leavy bullets. The front mushroomed and the shank pushed it along.

I have a recent experience with this. .25 100 grain bullet at 3200 fps. Shot a buck in the jaw. He was looking right at me. The jaw exploded and the he went down. Upon walking up to him he jumped up and tried to run away. He was only knocked out by the shot and no damage was done to any thing important to immediate life. I was trying for a neck shot and the rifle shot high.

Head shots suck. Forget about the idea. This is just armchair bullshit. It makes an ugly mess at best. You can make an uglier mess, like I did, and loose the deer.

There is a reason that the 150 and 130 grain bullets are " standard" in the .270. They work better. Velocity is not the be all end all of big game cartridges. In many cases it creates more problems than it solves.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Sierra ProHunter 110's on fallow, and never had a problem, although I usually aim for the neck, whichever angle I'm shooting from - less meat damage. Heck, even a 55g out of my son's 223 will do the job. They're not big animals. If it's the head I want, a low chest, or 'armpit' shot does it for me, but I don't use them for rear end shots - too much meat damage.

Haven't tried it on larger deer yet, but I'd probably go for a 130 - 150 grainer for that.

As to carrying different ammo, as someone has already said, don't bother... you won't have the time or presence of mind to make the switch, and then you're goin gto have to allow for different points of impact... that's a lot to compute when you have to take the shot.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote