New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 ballistics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can someone please give me the balllistics info for 100grn factory Remington or whatever. I know it wont be exact but I only have access to a 100 yard range at the moment. I just need a rough idea of the drop/holdover. If you could give the same for 80 grn as well I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael:

You didn't say how far you were looking at shooting it and also did not say whether it was factory loads or hand loads.

From experience I can tell you this:
For factory loads, 2 inches high a 100 yds, will put you dead on at about 210, and about 3 to 4 inches low at 250.

The 80 grain loads are a little flatter, but not by much.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Mike,
Remington have extensive ballistic tables on their website.
Cheers Rob T

Posts: 64 | Location: Merseyside,England | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. This is a new caliber for me so I had no idea what to expect. I was just looking for a rough estimate since I can only sight in at 100 yards. Dosnt sound much different from anything else. Two inces high at 100 should be close enough until I can get to the real thing. I dont like to shoot much over 200 yards if I can at all help it and 300 is my self imposed max. This should be fine.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For whatever reason, .243 Win factory loads (from any manufacturer) are loaded well below the potentential of the cartridge. Some of the 100 grain loads may not exceed 2700 fps, with 2800 fps being typical. The original factory load from a 26" barrel was listed at 3070 fps, which is actually very doable in a 22-24" barrel. I suppose the proliferation of levers and autos chambered for this caliber, along with under-sized bores from some European manufacturers have caused the companies to download the cartridge. But if you're not shooting beyond 200 yards, then yes, 2" high at a hundred will get you very close for the entire range.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,
Search on 'Norma Ballistics Java Page'
Its an excellent program but only goes out to 300y.
I have been unable to download it.
I think its because of the format.
Rob T

Posts: 64 | Location: Merseyside,England | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mike,

Try www.remington.com
You can get the ballistic data there for your .243Win. I've had one for some years now. In fact
the barrel is all but shot out so I really have to load them out there a ways. I find it an
amazing caliber. Mine doesn't do great with 100 gr. bullets but is terrific with anything smaller.
It's an older Savage 110, and it's been a joy to own. They aren't known for especially long barrel life so you might want to load it down a bit. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote