Find
Notify
Tools

6x45 (6mm-223)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Anyone had experience with this round? What kind of MV is possible with 87 grain bullets from a 21 inch barrel? Thanks.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
You might want to check the single shot pistol forumn, there is a thread on the round.

I'll take a SWAG that you'll gain 300 fps over a 14" pistol barrel.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Jim Dannels>
posted
There was an article in Varmint hunter magazine a while back that stated this was an excellent Walking Rifle round.
I would like to hear more about it.

<Chad>
posted
Wildcat Cartridges Vol. II gives it a velocity of 2850-2900fps. 22in barrel and H335. I'm betting you can get over 3000fps as they also show a load @ 2950fps in a 6mm/.222. I don't know why, but it says that it will push a 70gr bullet as fast a .223 will push the 55gr. I've got one on the way so I guess I'll find out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chad, Tell us more about your rifle to be and what you are going to use it for. I am thinking about one my self and would like some ideas. I have been wanting one for a step between a .22 and a 243 win for my kids. But it sounds like it could be a neat rifle for dad too. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
This round is factory loaded in South Africa and is very popular. There are factory rifles avalible too. I have seen Impala shot with it under culling conditions. It seems to work very well

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 6mm-.223 (6x45) is a tremendous little round that offers little recoil and wonderful accuracy. With a 21" barrel and an 87 grain bullet, you should have no problem getting right at 2900 fps.

I've had one for years in a 14" XP-100, had a customized Rem 788 a while back (20" Hart full bull bbl.) and currently have a 15" Contender barrel coming from Virgin Valley Custom Guns.

If you are looking for an effective little varminter, look no further than the 6x45. As to the 87 grain loads, the 70-75 grainers will shoot flatter and deliver all the punch you need at the payoff end.

Lastly, you can stick with just one powder and primer: H-335 and Rem 7 1/2s. After firing thousands of rounds in this calibers, I have found that nothing compares with H-335 for overall best performance when one considers both velocity AND accuracy.

Posts: 9341 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone shot any 100 gr bullets to see what they will do? Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ron-

There's really no point in the 100s as you are not going to get enough velocity to ensure proper expansion very far downrange, and the trajectory starts to suffer as well. If deer are what's on your mind, the 80 grain Sierra Single SHot Pistol is just the ticket and will perform admirably.

Posts: 9341 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about for informal 300meter pig shoots??
What weight bullet at what velocity would be needed to knock down the steel pigs?
Have an extra 700SA 223 bolt face and have been giving this caliber some thought.

Posts: 165 | Location: Adams, NE USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby Tomek, What do you think about the 87 gr hornady? Deer, coyote and varmits would be in order. Ron

<J Snyman>
posted
I have a custom built 6x45. 21" Vektor sport profile barrel, Zastava Mini-Mauser action.

I use local powder (Denel S321) and cases. PMP made a special batch with the caliber 6x45 indicated on the headstamp. 223 Cases can be used but we tend to have problems at roadblocks and customs when crossing into Namibia if your firearm license says 6x45 and your cases are 223. (This can be a major problem if you use converted brass)

The PMP cases have thicker walls, limiting case capacity.

Velocities that I have attained are as follows :

100gr Hornady RN = 2350 f/sec
100gr PMP SP = 2400 f/sec
87 gr Hornady SP = 2580 f/sec
87gr Hornady V-Max = 2600 f/sec
75gr Speer HP = 2700 f/sec

Accuracy is outstanding and recoil very mild. I did not try to reach maximum velocity, as I do not believe there is much to gain by it.

I use the 100gr bullets for short range (<150m) work and meat damage is negligible.

Due to the lower velocities, this is not a long range snipers rifle. I try to limit all my hunting shots to under 250m, and it works fine.

In my opinion people are taking shots at animals at way to long distances to see if they can hit them without regard to the fact that they might wound the animal and it will suffer a lot of pain before it dies somewhere.

Sitting at a bench with a properly supported rifle and shooting at an unmoving target at a known distance is not a problem. Hitting an animal after you've walked half the day, stalked it over a distance, lying prone on a rocky uneven surface and only have your jacket or hands for support is a feat that is not accomplished as easily.

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Mnr. Snyman, well put I cannot agree more with your post.

[This message has been edited by alekojjensen (edited 03-28-2002).]

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ron-
The Hornady 87 grainer is not the way to go for deer-sized game. THe Sierra 80 grain Single Shot Pistol bullet, the Hornady 80 grain Single Shot Pistol bullet, the Sierra 80 grain Blitz and the 80 Speer spitzer, in that order, are the preferred projectiles for such a task.

I've run lots of rounds through this caliber over the years, and for the most part, that little flat-based, 80 grain Sierra is the hands-down winner. It expands AND penetrates sufficiently -- and it is so predictable in performance that it is almost boring.

It makes a great all-around bullet for everything from varmints through smaller deer at reasonable ranges.

If you decide to go strictly for varmints, give the 70 grain BlitzKing or Hornady 70 grain SXSP a whirl. They are deadly on the smaller critters...

[This message has been edited by Bobby Tomek (edited 03-28-2002).]

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen: Thanks for all the helpful input. This cartridge seems like a good candidate for a factory round.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
As far as bullets go, the little 55 gr. Nosler ballistic tips are wonderful for varmints. My 6PPC has just a bit more capacity, but it flings them out of the barrel at well over 3500 (actually, a whole LOT more than 3500).

For hunting, take a hard look at Gerards 62 gr. G.S. custom HV. My wife used it to shoot her antelope last fall (using the PPC), and with a B.C. of over .3, and an M.V. of over 3300 fps, it was flatter than her 270 load...... No recoil, very little blast. Another good option would be the old 75 gr. X-bullet. I laid in a supply when I found out they were d.c.'d, but you might find still be able to find them somewhere. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote