THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    tell me about a 17Mach IV.....

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tell me about a 17Mach IV.....
 Login/Join

<danev2>
posted
thinking about my next rifle project.
I 17Mach IV in a short action Savage.

Haven't found alot of data about them, but what I did find sounds interesting.
Wildcat off a 221 Fireball.
easy 4000 fps in a 30gr bullet.

What I want to know..
Accuracy?
bullet selections
terminal ballistics
difficulty in making brass.
Powder selection ?
Wind drift?

one of us
posted Hide Post
danev,The guy you want to talk to is Todd Kindler of The Woodchuck Den Inc. 330 897 0614.
He has a book out on the 17 caliber called
The Sensational Seventeens.The 17 MK4 is covered pretty well in the book.
My own 17Mark IV with 19g Norma N201 and a 25g Moly Berger bullet is just the ticket for chucks out to about 250 yards.Mild report no recoil to speak of and you can see most of your hits at 20x
Its a blast.
have fun.
dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, mine will be here in less than a week. I've never shot one but will shortly. I plan on using Berger 25 gr match bullets, Remington 7 1/2 primers and I haven't decided on a powder yet. I don't know about 4000 fps with a 30 gr bullet but with a 20 gr that should be easy. From what I can tell, it is very similar in ballistics to the 17 Remington. Forming brass is not too bad. I'm using CH-4D number 1,2 and 3 form dies then full length sizing with a Redding die. Bullberry makes a double ended die that'll form in three steps. Some people say you can use the Redding seater die with the stem removed then FL size but that just ruined brass for me. Todd Kindler recommends the RCBS form dies so they must be the best. You should probably anneal after forming too.

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
danev2
The Mach 4 will not achieve 4000 fps with a 30 gr. pill. It is however a very efficient cartridge and you will enjoy it. My next project is going to be a 17-222. It is every bit as efficient as the Mach 4 and the brass is much easier to form. All you gotta do is neck the .222 down to .17 and you're in business. It also means you can use Lapua brass if you don't mind spending just a little bit more for components.
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
How many steps are involved in necking down a .222 to .17?

"All you gotta do is neck the .222 down to .17 and you're in business."

The same can be said about the Mach IV in that all you have to do is neck the 221FB down to .17.

Just wondering.

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The .17 Mach IV is formed from .221 FireBall brass, not .222 Rem.

Using the double-ended Bullberry die, lube the case neck and shoulder then run each case into the end marked #1. This necks the case to .19.

After you've done this to however many cases you want to work with that day, turn the die over and run the cases into the end marked #2. This necks the case to .17.

Fireform the brass, and you're done.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
George,
Who said the Mach 4 is formed from anything other than the 221 fireball? I was referring to the 17-222 when I mentioned the .222.
Cisco,
There is no more work involved forming Mach 4
brass from fireball brass. They are both very efficient cartridges and both are easily formed. The only thing that has swayed my decision to go with the 17-222 is the availability of Lapua brass.

posted Hide Post
Lightnin,

I stand corrected (I didn't see the reference to the .17-.222). [Embarrassed]

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote