Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Hornet and Speer
 Login/Join

posted
...anybody have any experienc/opinions about the 33gr TNT bullet from Speer in the Hornet, or K-Hornet?

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried them in a K hornet, and in a 218 mashburn, and in a 222. In all cases they didn't groups real well. Nosler 40's did much better and 35 gr Vmax did somewhere inbetween. A friend did them in a Hiwall hornet and they did well however.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having had an outstanding experience with the 50 grain TNT, I was prepared for a real treat with the little Hornet pill. I was greatly disappointed to see how unnecessarily rounded and un-aerodynamic the nose is. I bought a box, but haven't yet gotten around to trying them.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.... I have had excellent results with the 40gr VMax, and the 50gr TNT.. so I was just curious about the "little" bullets.... maybe I'll just stay with what I've got... mooches garcias...

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My NEF shoots around an inch with 40Vmax or the Speer 40, but the 33 TNT printed more of a "pattern", well over 2", with three different powders.
Sure had hopes for a speedy 100yd load....

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried 'em, wasn't very impressed. 35gr VMax's are very accurate in my old Savage Sporter.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#35gr. Vmax is the most accurate bullet in both my Ruger#1 and my CZ hornets with Lil'Gun powder.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My ruger shots them just fine, these little bullets will pop a jack rabbit, 14g lil'gun

Posts: 64 | Location: Utah | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35 Grain VMax and 13 Grains of LilGun have produced 1/4 inch groups in our CZ (with my wife pulling the trigger).
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
...yeah, I pretty routinely shoot 3-4 shot groups into about .6-.7" at 100, then usually open them up to 1 1/8 or so with 5 shots... this is with the 40gr VMax and 13 gr of LilGun.. I'm thinking it's the shooter, not the gun. This is in a TC Contender carbine with a Bullberry K-Hornet barrel.
I read about lots of folks getting 1/4-3/8" groups, but I've never achieved that level... but knowing they will all be inside an inch or so makes for confident shots on most of the varmints I shoot at. If I was after prarie dogs at 200-400 yds, I'd choose something else...
Prarie dogs at 100 are in trouble, though.... I might have to try some of the 35gr VMax... although the b.c. of the 40 is quite a bit better.... helps trajectory out past 100....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Having had an outstanding experience with the 50 grain TNT, I was prepared for a real treat with the little Hornet pill. I was greatly disappointed to see how unnecessarily rounded and un-aerodynamic the nose is. I bought a box, but haven't yet gotten around to trying them.

And that is why I don't use most bullets that are so-called "made for .22 Hornet". Lawdog
thumbdown

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What PJ said.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recon you cant go past a good 45gn speer in the hornet if it aint broke why try an fix it . A lot of the work I use my hornet for I use the 40gn jhps that win use in their .22wmr (cause their cheap their nasty& they really F##k crows foxes & cats days up in a major way!) Big Grin

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I thought the .22mag was a .223 diameter.... I have never seen those bullets for sale..
I did buy some 40gr hp bullets that have quite a bit of exposed lead at the tip... these work really well at about 2800-2900fps... accuracy is almost as good as the VMax... and they were CHEAP. they mike at .224...
I wouldn't mind trying some of the .22mag bullets, but don't know where to get them.?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .22mag has always fooled a lot of shooters as it is a true.224. A good Mate of mine fell into the same trap.He is the proud owner of a 1947 Cz(bruno) fox in Hornet & was complaining it just would 'nt shoot so we suggested that he try .223 prj. So he brought 1000 of the win projectiles in the opion they were .223 .After I finised laughing I took em of his hands & pointed him in the right direction! Problem solved .As for were to get them I get them trough my local dealer who orders them through Winchester Australia

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I always thought the little fmj bullet in the .22mag would be fun to play with in the hornet.... I wonder if Winchester would sell them as components..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One would expect they (Winchester) would I recon they'd be the thing for foxes as there'd be stuff all skin damage.(Mind you fox is a dirty word in our house at the moment! ) Frowner

posted Hide Post
..well...no luck. I contacted Winchester, and they said they did not offer the 40gr fmj as a component part.
I suppose my cast 48gr would do the same thing, being cast from straight linotype...
I would think the hornet would be almost a perfect fox cartridge, out to about 150-200 yds....

one of us
posted Hide Post
8-10 yrs ago, we purchased 500 of Win 40grhp thru mailorder, for use in Hornets and plinking loads in a 221. Have not seen them offered since.
Other "surplus" runs I have are Horn 33gr Vmax (they were green tip, no doubt made for Rem), and currently Graf's has Sierra 30gr .224's (500 for $29.95). They are a very rounded, but hollow point, stubby bullet.
I wonder what speed they'll take....(221/222/??)before vaporizing!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel from long exp that the hornet & 'K' are the best thing scince sliced bread to realy ruin a foxes day/night at 150yrds. Over the years I have shot many hundreds of foxes.I've used .17's 222,223, 303-22,.220swift but I have always come back to the Hornet when shooting foxes for a living

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 12 grains of IMR 4227 in Winchester cases with CCI primers in my Stevens model 322 Hornet. That is the maximum load in my first reloading manual ( Speer # 8) and, since it worked well before I heard that it was over-pressure, I have continued to use it. I have used the same loading with the Sierra 40 grain hollow point and don't feel that I could ask for a better varmint rifle to almost 200 yards with either bullet. The Sierra "wanders" a bit more at over 175 yards, so the Speer is my favorite. I have also tried the same load with the Sierra 40 grain Blitzking but saw no advantage over the Speer.
I just invested in a can of "Lil Gun" and hope to get a bit more range out of the Hornet.

Posts: 420 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Mulerider. I talked to the Sierra people about the 30 grain hp's. They suggested an upper velocity limit of 3500. I've almost been there with the hornet with ok accuracy. They are difficult to load with acceptable runout.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
mulerider...
that may be the same bullet I bought from a gunshop... they had almost a thousand of them, and I bought them all.... 40gr hp with quite a bit of exposed lead on the truncated upper part of the bullet, but it was copper colored so that it almost looked like a jacket all the way up... they have been good little bullets.. I've loaded them up to almost 3000fps with good accuracy... mostly I keep them down around 2800fps though.
I do use them a lot for fireforming brass, though.... very accurate in that application.