THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    The 30-30 on elk and larger game.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 30-30 on elk and larger game.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That 30-30 is moving pretty slow and dropping pretty fast at 300 yards! Not a good rifle to use for Elk or deer at that range!

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lindy,
I agree with that, its not much punkin at 300 unless you stick that bullet in the heart or brain or spine, they can make a lot of tracks otherwise...

I think the 30-30 and 25-35 are best at 100 yards and under, and good enough for a good shot at 200 yards..That where one is safe, dependingon his marksmanship..

I still love to hunt with both, if an archer or muzzle loader fan can kill deer with a bow, I can certainly do the same with a 30-30 or 25-35 rifle.

Elk at a 100 yards are easy, but that's my limit, well maybe under the right set of circumstances I would shoot an elk at 150 or 200 yards, but that's my limit..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have plans at the shop to build a .30-.30 "Truck Gun" using a M93 Mauser action. 21.65" bbl (55cm). Perhaps will extract a little more velocity. Magazine will be mod'd to a P14 Enfield type with guide rails and slanted rear box insert. Extractor height reduced 50% with bottom claw chamfer. '93 Turk Mauser floor-plate to allow 5 down. Bolt-face opened up accordingly. Follower mods if needed. We think this is a great way to utilize these plentiful old actions and mitigate the gas/pressure issues associated with modern cartridge conversions.

Posts: 3786 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you google 30-30 vs 308 vs 30-06 you will find plenty of videos of all these being test fired against cinder blocks, wet newspaper, and metal gongs. What is absolutely apparant is that the 30-30 penetrates just as well as the 308 and 30-06. Yes the others will send the bits a bit further, ie there is more energy being dispersed, but on game what matters is a good hole through the vitals that lets a lot of blood out. Thats what kills and kills with certainty. Any extra will impart more energy and may drop and do more damage, or do similar damage at a longer range

We don't see the 30-30 over here very much. In most cases doesn't have enough velocity to be deer legal - but I don't doubt that put any bullet in the right place you have meat on the table. And as big game hunters well know modest velocity gives great penetration.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
This thread is very timely!
I'm outfitting my son with a deer rifle for a December hunt and in looking over all of the possibilities from the rack, the 30/30 Winchester Model 54 is just begging to be taken out!

Posts: 3318 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
We have plans at the shop to build a .30-.30 "Truck Gun" using a M93 Mauser action. 21.65" bbl (55cm). Perhaps will extract a little more velocity. Magazine will be mod'd to a P14 Enfield type with guide rails and slanted rear box insert. Extractor height reduced 50% with bottom claw chamfer. '93 Turk Mauser floor-plate to allow 5 down. Bolt-face opened up accordingly. Follower mods if needed. We think this is a great way to utilize these plentiful old actions and mitigate the gas/pressure issues associated with modern cartridge conversions.

How about a .35 Remington? Lots easier.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Huvius,
A mod 54 Win. in 30-30 caliber is a real good investment, they bring top dollar and just keep going sky high..

As to the comparison to the 308, 30-06, they are hands down more powerful, longer range, and just more gun than a 30-30 anyway you cut it, but if one keeps the 30-30 to no more than about a 100 to 150 yards, it sure will kill and elk..beyond that and IMO it could be very easy to end up in a big time tracking job..On deer it will kill about as far as you could expect to hit one with irons sights.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote