THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    6 mm PPC, 6mm x 45, or 6 mm TCU?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 mm PPC, 6mm x 45, or 6 mm TCU?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My 6.5 PPC mod for my little CZ 527 carbine in 7.62 by 39 is in progress thanks to you guys. The reamer and bbl are ordered. My next project is going to be a 6 mm in the same carbine. If I could find another 527 in 7.62 X 39 I would go the 6mm PPC route. But failing that I'll have to go with a 527 in 223. I have info on the 6 mm/223 but I can't find anything on the 6 mm TCU. Anyone know anything about this wildcat? Which do you recommend? Thanks.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Kimmo E>
posted

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kimmo E. I'll check it out. Does anyone have experience with the 6 mm TCU?

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The TCU is basically the 6-.223/6x45, but was designed for short pistol barrels.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought...with two rifles so close in caliber aren't you afraid of getting the ammo mixed up? What do you think the difference in performance will be? Not a flame, just curious.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, it's just a matter of load data. The TCU loads use faster burning powder than the rifle version. They will both work in a pistol or rifle, but you will lose velocity if you use a rifle load in a pistol length barrel.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked the website posted above by Kimmo. It has good info on all three and you are right-very little difference in the two 223s but the TCU was developed for pistols. DB Bill, if I end up with one of the 223s necked to 6mm the difference in the ammo will be easy to see because of the difference in length. If I find a 527 in 7.62 X 39 and go the 6 mm PPC route obviously the difference in ammo will only be the diameter. Therefore I'll have to be careful. However being careful is part of my character. (I'm 64 years old and have been a helicopter instructor pilot in foreign countries for 35 years.) The thing is, I love five and a half pound, 40 inch (20" bbl) rifles based on the Mauser action. Thanks for all the info guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rereading your posting DB Bill I see I didn't answer your performance question. The two rifles are for two different types of hunting. The 6.5 mm PPC wil get a 125 gr nosler going about 2550 fps. Comparing to the 6.5 X 55 its a 129 gr at 2800 fps. I don't think a whitetail can tell the difference. The 6 mm PPC is for yotes, foxes , crows and other small critters. It gets an 85 gr going 3000 fps. By the way, my son found me another CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62 X 39 yesterday afternoon so I'm going with the 6 mm PPc instead of the 6 mm/223. Keep your powder dry.