THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .222 Rem loads with current components??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.222 Rem loads with current components??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm moving back to the past with a .222 Rem on the way, a Cooper M21. I expect delivery in 8-10 weeks. I'm starting to assemble components.

Whats the hot set up for the triple deuce with todays powders?? Going to use 45-50 grain slugs for our little gophers. I want accuracy and barrel life. Velocity is NOT a big concern.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find the new specialty varmint bullets, like the Speer 50 gr. TNT and Hornady 50 gr. VMAX, both accurate and effective in my .222s with mild loads of 23.0 to 23.5 gr. of IMR4895. I have read that reducing pressure/temperature extends barrel life. This implies that, for loads giving the same muzzle velocity with the same bullet, loads of slow single base powders will give better barrel life than loads of fast double base powders. I have also read that Moly Coated bullets extend barrel life, so I buy the Moly coated versions of the TNT and VMAX. FWIW.

Let us know how that Cooper shoots!

rollinghills

Posts: 107 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2001Reply With Quote