THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Difference in Sako AI & AII actions

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difference in Sako AI & AII actions
 Login/Join

posted
I thought the AI action was the smallest and the AII was the medium length action. But i read that the two were the same magazine length. So what is the difference between them. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the A II is for the PPC series of cartridges. With feed rails and bolt face larger than the A I. FNMauser

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The AI was similar in size and length to the "small" L 461 ("vixen") action it replaced, and the AII was similar to the "medium" L579 ("forester"). Each had a magazine very similar, if not identical to, the earlier series. The AI normally had a .222-size bolt face, but confusing this matter is that Sako did build some PPC chamberings (with their larger bolt face) on the AI action and also built some PPC's on the AII. This is the only cartridge that I am aware of that was ever built on two different Sako actions.

Confusing matters still further, the later S- series small action used a somewhat larger action diameter than its predecessor, so the S-series small action is about the same diameter (but shorter length) than the S-series medium action.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
. . . . and by the way, confusing matters even more is that Sako had two A-series long actions -- the A III and the A V. I've never be able to determine the difference in these actions, but they were apparently both made in "standard" ('06) and "magnum" bolt faces and both had magazines of about 3.6" in length.

If anyone knows the difference in the "3" and the "5", I'd love to hear it.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The tang is slightly longer in the AV than in the AIII. I have one of each in 30-06. Please don't ask me why. the triggers are a bit different also. I like the one on the AIII a little better. I'll post some pictures on Friday.

My 6PPC sporter is on an AI action. My 6PPC single shot varmint rifle just says PPC for the action type.

I'm looking for an AII in .308 for mountain hunting.

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"The tang is slightly longer in the AV than in the AIII. I have one of each in 30-06. Please don't ask me why."

Thanks for the anatomy lesson on the A-series, Lawndart. As to asking you why, I'm assuming that you mean why the difference in tang lengths, not why you own two .30-06's in near-identical rifles. No one would ever question why someone needs duplicate rifles!

I'm assuming that the A-III trigger is the same as the older L-series and the the A-V trigger is "improved" (read: cheaper to make). I have an A-III Mannlicher that I've never shot and now I'm especially proud of it! I also had a nice .338 in A-V several years back, but I didn't recall the trigger being different; the odd thing about it was its black polymer magazine follower (factory), which is the only one I've ever seen on a Sako.

Are your two PPC's on actions that are different in size, or are they just marked differently?

Do you insist on an A-II for your .308 project? I just picked up an L-579 in .308 that someone has put a custom stock on (okay, but not great). It would seem to make an ideal platform for your mountain rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The external dimensions of the two PPC rifles are the same. I don't recall if there is a plug filling the magazine cut out on the varmint rifle or if the bottom of the action was left whole. I'll take pictures of that also tomorrow.

I had a Mannlicher style in 30-06 that I sold. Probably shouldn't have. The Mannlichers in .308 go for about $300.00 more, because we all want one.

I am flat broke right now. When that temporary inconvenience is corrected I will talk to you about the .308 if you still have it then.

Tommorrow will be picture day!

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote