New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ accuracy versus Savage?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, got a friend that wants to buy a 223 for varmint shooting. I use an old savage 340 so don't know much about the new ones. He is thinking savage but I like the idea of the detachable magazines on the CZ's. anybody able to tell me how the accuracy is on the CZ? close to the Savage? potential?

thanks.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
wave Hey Red!

I got a .222 CZ 527 American sporter and it does just fine. A buddy of mine has a CZ in a .17 cal varmit and really prints small hole groups. I have yet to fire any rifles with the accutrigger so I am of no help there. boohooroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I am sure that CZ makes a wonderful product, but I am a big Savage fan. I have 2 BVSS's and they shoot very well. If he wants a .223, a BVSS is his best bet, or he could opt for the less expensive 12fv. The accu-trigger makes a world of diffrence in your shooting experience! Just my 2 cents worth!
Marmonthunter

Posts: 157 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I have never owned a savage but I have never heard of someone haveing a bad one

I can say my CZ 527 is without a doubt my favorite rifle, every time I take it to the range I just get more happy and excited about the little gun. it does have some unique features some people tend to trash the gun because it is different than most rifles, most have never even shot one. I always test my CZ with 5 shot groups, you can really show better potential this way. I have NEVER fired a 5 shot group that was greater than MOA, that includes about 6 different factory brands and one batch of handloads I made. Thing of CZ as being a great out of the box shooter but has some darn good looks. Be for warned when you get a CZ you are traveling down a slippery slope YOU WILL want more.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At this point in time that Savage bolt actions are proving to be about the most accurate out of the box rifles one can buy. The M10 .270 WSM I bought started out shooting 3/4" groups(first sight in shots) and has only gotten better with load work. Lawdog
Wink

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have got to go with the CZ crowd on this one. I only owned one Savage rifle and it was a Model 340 in .30/30 years and years ago. I own a CZ 550 American in 7x57mm that will shoot half inch groups with my favorite handload and sandbags. My CZ 527 Lux in .223 will also shoot half-inch groups with 55 grain slugs and 50 grain slugs. As far as the triggers go, I love those single-set trigges on both my rifle. The single set trigger is standard fare on the CZ rifles, well, maybe not the one made here in the USA right now, but with the others it is. The trigger looks like a regular trigger and is very easily adjustable to take out all creep. On my 7x57 the trigger breaks at 3# and with the .223 it breaks at 2.5#. When I want a 12-ounce set trigger, all I have to do is push the regular trigger forward until it clicks and then it is a set trigger. If you never, ever, want to use a set trigger, then just don't push the trigger forward. You still have a trigger that is great and highly adjustable. Those half-inch groups by the way are three-shot groups. Do a search for CZ on this forum and you'll come up with a boatload of folks who swear by them. With that said, I'm still kinda pissed at CZ because the company dropped the 7x57mm Mauser from its line of rifles, but that is just me. These rifles are worth a serious look from you. So is Savage. Like I said, I have only owned one savage and it was the same one you had, a Model 340 my dad got me for Christmas from his brother long before they even invented dirt. Have a good day all! Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7x57mm:
I have got to go with the CZ crowd on this one. I only owned one Savage rifle and it was a Model 340 in .30/30 years and years ago.

Trying to compare a POS 340 to what savage produces today is like compareing a Chevy Geo to a Corvette. The CZ won't hang with a Savage at all. Lawdog
roflmao

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Savage experience is all with vintage stuff and does not really count. The most recent I have had was with a 70's 112V in .25-06 that was a tack driver, but the bore was so rough it took three days to clean.

Savage makes nothing to compete with the CZ 527. If you want an accurate lightweight walking around rifle, you ain't gonna do no better.

If you want a flatout varmint rifle, the choice might take a bit more thinking.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
I had a Savage in .223, the 20" heavy barreled FP-10, and besides weighing a ton, it shot very well. I sold it and got a CZ-527 walnut stocked varmint model mostly for the lower carrying around weight. With the exception of Sierra 68 grain HP bullets, the CZ is more accurate no doubt in part due to the superior trigger. I got the CZ for the handling qualities with out giving anything up on accuracy.

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -- Thomas Jefferson
http://tcbunch.com

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary- You might try reading the post before shooting off your mouth! I said I only owned one Savage and that was a 340. No where did I say I was comparing CZ to Savage, just that I owned one. I also said to take a serious look as well at Savages. So, why don't you take a serious look at the post before, ah, the hell with it, you're not even worth responding to.

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 110 in .223 with the 20-inch heavy barrel, made just before Savage offered short actions. It shoots great, even with the older factory trigger. Half-inch/one-hole groups with loads it likes are common, and with the 1 in 9 twist, it shoots fairly heavy bullets well.

I also have a CZ-527 American in .223, and it also shoots half-inch/one-hole groups with loads it likes. It does not like bullets heavier than 55 grains though. I do not use the set trigger. The CZ is much handier as a "walk around" rifle.

They seem to be about equal in the accuracy department.

By the way, I have a "POS" Model 340 that shoots 5/8-inch groups with Corelokts and IMR-4064 and it cost me $125. Cool

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7x57mm:
Gary- You might try reading the post before shooting off your mouth! I said I only owned one Savage and that was a 340. No where did I say I was comparing CZ to Savage, just that I owned one. I also said to take a serious look as well at Savages. So, why don't you take a serious look at the post before, ah, the hell with it, you're not even worth responding to.

Actually maybe you should read what you wrote the first time. “I have got to go with the CZ crowd on this one. I only owned one Savage rifle and it was a Model 340 in .30/30 years and years ago.†This reads you agree with the CZ users as being more accurate because you only had one Savage to compare to the CZ, a old 340(which in my opinion was a POS by the two different ones that I had years ago). My statement was a light hearted attempt at saying it not fair to compare a new CZ to a 340. I have shot new CZ’s and own a new Savage and the Savage, out of the box, is the more accurate of the two. The original thread heading asks, “CZ accuracy versus Savage?†which is asking for shooters opinions comparing the accuracy of the two. So you might pre-read your post so you don't end up shooting your mouth off. Lawdog

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Guys, Gary too! LOL

I have 3 CZ'S a 375 H&H, a 243, and a 527, 223. Just to show my bona fides with CZ'S, my two shooting buddies own 527's in 221 Fireball, and a 223 Synthetic Varment. Now back to the 223 issue: I don't know about your Savage, but if it shoots .380 groups, you got yourself a shooter, my CZ 527 does. All of the 22 CZ'S we own are .5", or better shooters, with hand loads right out of the box. Pretty hard to beat that with any rifle.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry: How does your buddy like that .221 Fireball. My brother talked at one time about ordering one, but never did. Instead, he got interested in the .223 WSSM, but never got one of those either. There was an outdoor writer I knew in Albuquerque who had a custom rifle made up in .221 Fireball and he was in love with the caliber. I'm happy as a pig-in-poop with my CZ 527 in .223 Remington. Mine is in the Lux model. I have gotten use to the humpback, but if I had my druthers, I'd druther have the American stock with the Lux Model barrel length of 23.5 inches. They are really sweet little rifles. Tom Purdom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cz folks are the camp I am with....I own 5 cz's and want more as they are very accurate and dependable and do not have pot metal parts attached to them, they are old world quality, savage's are not with in a bulls roar of cz's any way you cut it jump

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, can you please quantify that shotgroup (.380) by confirming the distance at which it was shot? I tend to assume (we don't want THAT!) you are referring to 100 yds, but just so's we can compare apples to apples, could you please clarify?

And as to the original post, I think this is kind of like comparing a Porsche to a Ferrarri. Both are great guns, and many would like to have either. I would say you would do well to have either one. Both are great guns out of the box, but I hear many Savage owners brag about the Accutrigger, and I think several CZ owners have gone with trigger kits. Also there is the SS vs blued thing, as well as synthetic vs. wood.

Bottom line, both are great guns to own, very accurate, just gotta decide on aesthetics & whether or not you want to swap barrels with ease.

F6

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Eden:
Guys, Gary too! LOL

I have 3 CZ'S a 375 H&H, a 243, and a 527, 223. Just to show my bona fides with CZ'S, my two shooting buddies own 527's in 221 Fireball, and a 223 Synthetic Varment. Now back to the 223 issue: I don't know about your Savage, but if it shoots .380 groups, you got yourself a shooter, my CZ 527 does. All of the 22 CZ'S we own are .5", or better shooters, with hand loads right out of the box. Pretty hard to beat that with any rifle.
Jerry

-----------------------------------------------------
\ "If I don't step over the line every now /
/ and then, how will I know where it is?" \
-----------------------------------------------------

Posts: 148 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Guys:

My two buddies that own 527's in 221 Fireball, love them. One of the guys has already killed 11 coyotes with his. Using, (I believe), 40 grain Nosler Ballistic tips, he has'nt lost or crippled one yet. They are both using RL7, and now Lil Gun. The groups they consistantly shoot are flat amazing. My 375 H&H is also a Lux model, but since I learned to shoot with many european guns, I like it fine.

All of our load testing is done at a minimum of 100yds. The groups I was referring to were shot at that distance. I haven't heard of any shooters in the KNOW, changing out his CZ trigger. They are fantastic, and SOOOOO easy to adjust. As to the Savage thing, I don't believe the fit and finish is anywhere in the same ballpark as CZ.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thread hijack alert:
The 221 Fireball is an over-achieving cartridge, and I would buy a CZ 221 if I didn't already have two Remingtons!
Many applicable powders behind a 40gr pill, but LiLGun and AA1680 will produce 3500+ fps, with excellent accuracy in both of my rifles. Yet easy on the ears, brass, and recoil.
Fun cartridge!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trigger work may be needed on the CZ 452 rimfire guns. The CZ 527 series has a different trigger design that may be used as a set trigger and I have never heard of one needing more than adjustment.

Easy mistake to make unless you happen to own both.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only gripe I have with the 527 is the bolt. I had to put my only spare scope (old timey Redfield 1.75-5x) on the rifle for groundhogs. Not the best scope for this rifle, but I have had outstanding results with Win 748 and Hornady 52 grain flat base hollow point bullets. Really one heck of a rifle. I have a number of rifles, and this is might be my favorite of the bunch.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Here are somw 200 yard groups with my CZ 550. Probably shouldn't count as it's the Varmint version.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Red,

I have one CZ527 in .223 and my Brother has a late model Sav 12FVSS in 22-250 that I set up and broke in for him this past spring. I replaced the barrel on the CZ but did quite a bit of load development and testing with the stock barrel.

I love my CZ. It has become one of "those guns" you would never trade or sell for anything. But..... the Savage outshot the CZ with the stock barrel. My experience is the same as most others, the CZ was pretty much a .5@100. My brothers Sav is mid .3s and it is not in a good stock.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either one will probably be a pretty good shooter. Even the cheapy Savage package guns seem to shoot pretty good. Here are a couple of photos my 111GL did before I did some work on it. The gun averages around .35" at 100 yards which certainly isn't bad for a cheapy with a pencil barrel.

Another one of my Savages, a 110 FLP tactical in .25-06, will shoot 4 different loads into 1.5" or better groups at 300 yards.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Buzz, I want to see a group from that .300 Ruger.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well - it's not going to look too good compared to what we've already posted but it is shooting about .8" groups at 100 yards which is way better than plenty for a big game rig.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote